22 lr

22 lr

This is a discussion on 22 lr within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The last time there were any 22lr on the shelves in my county and the one north of mine was before the Newtown tragedy. You ...

Thread: 22 lr

22 lr

The last time there were any 22lr on the shelves in my county and the one north of mine was before the Newtown tragedy.

You have to be at the counter between 9:00 and 10:00 am on stock day to have a chance. Today I didn't have to work so I gave it a shot. Five people were there when I arrived. Five boxes of Remington Thunderbolt 500 rds and three boxes of CCI 25 rds were put up on the counter. The first two people bought two bricks each leaving one for the guy in front of me. He was a nice guy and let me have it. He wanted one of the CCI boxes. The other two guys were hoping for .243 They did not get any.

This is the routine in these two counties two days a week,every week,every month. I bought the brick for 26.00 and the CCI's for 10.00.

Two days ago Cabelas had 2100 rnd ammo cans of 22lr for sale that were gone within hours.

Anyways, just wanted to share my little 22lr adventure with the forum. Hope it's easier for you guys spread across the country.

VIP Member
    The run on 22 lr is perplexing. I suppose lots of folks have figured out they can't afford to practice with larger caliber
    ammo, but OTOH folks do need to practice with what they carry. Makes me wonder if there is some sort of 'conspiracy' to drive folks to using the higher cost calibers for target work? Guess who makes out like a bandit from that.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Well Sir I just got home from Kesselring Gun Shop. They had just one 500R brick of some high octane competition 22 ammo made in Germany for $62.95. However ALL of the other calibers were well represented and NOT just in onesies and twosies either. They have BUKU ammo. All guns are 15% off posted price until close of business Sept 30th. On Oct 1st they must surrender their FFL to our friends of F Troop. They'll still be selling ammo after Oct 1st and miscellaneous gun accesories just no gun sales. The end of 66 years of selling guns in my beloved valley.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    I had bought a .22 semi auto and revolver with the idea of cheap and easy to get ammo. Well, you know what happened to that idea and I ended up selling my .22's. I can get .45, 9mm and .38 spl ammo easily either online or locally.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The run on 22 lr is perplexing. I suppose lots of folks have figured out they can't afford to practice with larger caliber
    ammo, but OTOH folks do need to practice with what they carry. Makes me wonder if there is some sort of 'conspiracy' to drive folks to using the higher cost calibers for target work? Guess who makes out like a bandit from that.
    While you certainly do need to practice with your carry weapon, technique carries over and can be honed much less expensively with .22. Assuming you can get your hands on it, that is.

Yes it's very perplexing. Ida thought it would be staying on the shelves by now. This was my first time at the store trying to catch them stocking the shelves. I wonder if I did it every week if I would be seeing the same faces? I'm unaware of 22lr offered for sale by individuals.

Interesting times. My 10/22 has enough ammo now for some use, but should I use it?

Links