UPDATE :Savage 220 accuracy

This is a discussion on UPDATE :Savage 220 accuracy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have one of the new Savage 220 bolt action shotguns. It is supposed to be very accurate, 2ish MOA at 100 yards. I can't ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: UPDATE :Savage 220 accuracy

VIP Member

UPDATE :Savage 220 accuracy

I have one of the new Savage 220 bolt action shotguns. It is supposed to be very accurate, 2ish MOA at 100 yards. I can't get anywhere close to that. I have plenty of other guns that I shoot sub MOA so it's not the shooter. The scope is a Nikon PS 2-7X32 and the rings are Talley one piece rings so I don't think the problem lies here either.

Is anyone familiar with 20 gauge sabot ammunition and are there any suggestions? One problem with this type of ammo is that it's DANG expensive, over 3 bucks a round. At that price I've been limited in what I've tried. Ideas please.
    Last edited by atctimmy; September 28th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

What kind of groups are you getting?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Have you checked the action screws? I wouldn't honk on 'em, but they should be pretty snug.

Just for belt-and-suspenders, I would double-check that the one-piece lower mount is sitting square and completely flush with the receiver - no burrs in the way, or screws that bottom out before the mount is fully secured.

Beyond those, I don't have a lot of ideas beyond trying different types of ammo - I recall just cranking through about 10 boxes until I got acceptable results. It's been a while (my Savage 210 is back with a friend in CT), but I was pretty happy with the groups I got, compared to "punkin balls" through the smoothbore. My memory suggests better than 2" at 100 yards.

I also recall how punishing it was to sit and fire dozens of 12 ga sabot slug rounds from the bench!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    What kind of groups are you getting?
    I'm getting 4 to 5 inch groups at 50 yards. It's shooting so loose that I haven't even bothered with 100 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Have you checked the action screws? I wouldn't honk on 'em, but they should be pretty snug.

Just for belt-and-suspenders, I would double-check that the one-piece lower mount is sitting square and completely flush with the receiver - no burrs in the way, or screws that bottom out before the mount is fully secured.

Beyond those, I don't have a lot of ideas beyond trying different types of ammo - I recall just cranking through about 10 boxes until I got acceptable results. It's been a while (my Savage 210 is back with a friend in CT), but I was pretty happy with the groups I got, compared to "punkin balls" through the smoothbore. My memory suggests better than 2" at 100 yards.

I also recall how punishing it was to sit and fire dozens of 12 ga sabot slug rounds from the bench!
    OK Smitty. I'll give it another look over and test all the screws. As far as recoil goes it isn't as bad with the 20 gauge but it's still rough.

The good news is that the Browning A-Bolt I bought a month ago is shooting really well. It's tearing up the bullseye at 100 yards. : )
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

VIP Member
    Screws look good. I just bought 3 more types of ammo so I'll keep you all posted.
    Mark Twain:

VIP Member
    OK, I just got back from the range. It was the ammo. I spent $80 on 3 new types of sabot shells (ouch!) but I think it's looking better.

This is Remington 20 gauge 2 3/4 Accutips: 50 yds...

HPIM3602 1197x1200.jpg

Sorry about the "soft" focus, but that looks quite a bit better than what I was getting. I'll step it out to 100 in a few days and see what I get. One hole groups make me happy. : )
    Mark Twain:

Looks like you found your load.

BTW, how about them Steelers the other week, huh?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Much more betterer.

I played with OnTarget and came up with 0.6 inches c-t-c... pretty impressive.

What were the loads that didn't work?
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Hornady XTP sabots.
    Mark Twain:

Links