My recent flight.

This is a discussion on My recent flight. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, so I go on a hunting trip to N.Florida for whitetail with my FIL. No I didn't get anything except quail in Georgia, so ...

Thread: My recent flight.

My recent flight.

Ok, so I go on a hunting trip to N.Florida for whitetail with my FIL. No I didn't get anything except quail in Georgia, so don't ask. I flew home yesterday on USAir. We left Jacksonville to DC to Philly to Hartford. Damn long trip. Anyway, we land in Hartford about 5pm and our 3 bags come off the belt but no rifle case. I go see the lady at the luggage counter and ask if I have to pick up my "rifle case" in there. She says "yes, let me go find it". Well, it didn't make it. So she says calmly "fill out this form and we'll call you when we find it". So I said "you mean you lost a firearm?" Then she looks concerned, seems "rifle case" didn't click with her. Anyway she said she'd call as soon as it "turns up". Well they called me at home a couple hours later and since they didn't have a driver ready she hired a cab to deliver it to my house. They messed up but they made it right as soon as they could. USAir is not my first choice, but at least they gave me some good customer service.
    -Biker

2. Remove Ads

glad you got your rifle back. Congrats on the quail

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker View Post
    Ok, so I go on a hunting trip to N.Florida for whitetail with my FIL. No I didn't get anything except quail in Georgia, so don't ask. I flew home yesterday on USAir. We left Jacksonville to DC to Philly to Hartford. Damn long trip. Anyway, we land in Hartford about 5pm and our 3 bags come off the belt but no rifle case. I go see the lady at the luggage counter and ask if I have to pick up my "rifle case" in there. She says "yes, let me go find it". Well, it didn't make it. So she says calmly "fill out this form and we'll call you when we find it". So I said "you mean you lost a firearm?" Then she looks concerned, seems "rifle case" didn't click with her. Anyway she said she'd call as soon as it "turns up". Well they called me at home a couple hours later and since they didn't have a driver ready she hired a cab to deliver it to my house. They messed up but they made it right as soon as they could. USAir is not my first choice, but at least they gave me some good customer service.
    Next time you want to hunt Whitetail come out to Iowa...I have a huge 10+ pointer and an 8 pointer living in the woods behind the house. See them virtually every morning....I plan on taking one of them in a couple weeks when 2nd shotgun season starts. I sould be able to sit on my back deck and wait for it to just walk thru the yard.....

Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    Next time you want to hunt Whitetail come out to Iowa...I have a huge 10+ pointer and an 8 pointer living in the woods behind the house. See them virtually every morning....I plan on taking one of them in a couple weeks when 2nd shotgun season starts. I sould be able to sit on my back deck and wait for it to just walk thru the yard.....

We'll it's a way to spend time with my wife's family and we hunt with dogs which is illegal in CT so, it's a different experience. I can "still" hunt here.
    -Biker

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Got to love the fact they just gave your gun to some cabbie to bring it to your house.
    Atleast you got it back safe.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Guns (and luggage)...

have a way of disappearing in airport luggage handling terminals...

Wonder how?

Glad you did get you weapon back!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 to PolarBear......That seems odd that they would hire a cab company to transport a firearm....how did they know the cabbie wasn't a felon? Sounds very lucky to me my friend...

If I were you, I would give notice to USAir that this was a bad practice....whether it be a rifle case or your luggage--bad form on their part. They should have had a USAir employee drive it out to you--it's about accountability. What if the cabbie stole/lost your luggage? It wouldn't be USAir's fault...then you would have to deal with the cab company.....ok....I'm ranting...I'm stopping..............my 2 cents

I travel a lot and ALWAYS take firearms with me when traveling inside the USA.
    I always take a handgun and one of my M4's both with plenty of magazines and ammo.

Ive never had a lost firearm, but I have always had to pick it up at the special baggage counter.

I always hate when Im flying in the East or west coast. The employees and other passengers around me treat me like S--T because I have firearms.

But I always am respectable. Plus there is no price you can put on the entertainment value of popping open two cases and showing the ticket counter and all the waiting passengers what I have in those "funny looking" cases. Everyone's eye's light up and I usually get "What do you need those for" or "You cant hunt with those!" I always reply "I dont hunt".

I love it.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I travel a lot and ALWAYS take firearms with me when traveling inside the USA.
    I always take a handgun and one of my M4's both with plenty of magazines and ammo.

Ive never had a lost firearm, but I have always had to pick it up at the special baggage counter.

I always hate when Im flying in the East or west coast. The employees and other passengers around me treat me like S--T because I have firearms.

But I always am respectable. Plus there is no price you can put on the entertainment value of popping open two cases and showing the ticket counter and all the waiting passengers what I have in those "funny looking" cases. Everyone's eye's light up and I usually get "What do you need those for" or "You cant hunt with those!" I always reply "I dont hunt".

I love it.
    An M4 when you travel??? I hope it is because you are an LEO on assignment, or are going for some sort of training???

But for the average civilian, I can see a handgun, but an M4 on vacation?!?
    "Hey honey, which rifle should I bring with us to Disney World?"

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
    An M4 when you travel??? I hope it is because you are an LEO on assignment, or are going for some sort of training???

"Hey honey, which rifle should I bring with us to Disney World?"

What do you mean you "Hope" I'm a LEO. I have just as much right to be armed as any LEO.

And I travel for numerous reasons ( I wish I could get a vacation).
    So your saying a citizen should only be allowed to have a handgun for protection?
    Maybe you are one of those who think the police and government should be better armed than the citizens?

Look there are many fantastic places to shoot in this country. And when I go to places all over the USA. I like to shoot at different ranges. And not just with a handgun.

I wish I could fly with guns when I trvel to other countires.
    Last edited by Sig229; December 5th, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post

As long as it is legal why should it matter?
    Shay Van Vlymen - Instructor Tactical Response

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    What do you mean you "Hope" I'm a LEO. I have just as much right to be armed as any LEO.

And I travel for numerous reasons ( I wish I could get a vacation).
    So your saying a citizen should only be allowed to have a handgun for protection?
    Maybe you are one of those who think the police and government should be better armed than the citizens?

Look there are many fantastic places to shoot in this country. And when I go to places all over the USA. I like to shoot at different ranges. And not just with a handgun.

I wish I could fly with guns when I trvel to other countires.
    Calm down and reread my post. I think you missed the OR in my original statement.

I said "I hope it is because you are an LEO on assignment, OR are going for some sort of training???"

The only point I was trying to make was an M4 would be excessive for the average person who goes on vacation or on a business trip.

In your original statement you said when you travel within the US you "always take a handgun and one of (your) M4's both with plenty of magazines and ammo". The always is what got me. If you were planning on doing some "training" while away, going to take a class, or do some shooting then I can see why you would do this. But for somthing like a family trip to Disney it does not make sense to me.

Do not misunderstand what I am saying. I support YOUR RIGHT to carry ALL the firearms you want when ever and where ever you want, and I will argue and defend that right till my last breath.

I am only saying that we should be practical. A handgun SHOULD enough for personal protection while on vacation. I caution you that something like an M4 cannot be kept "on you" at all times and therefore cannot be kept safe while on your trip. If you keep it in your hotel or rental car it may be easily stolen while you are away from it. Combine these storage problems with the thought of having it lost or stolen by the airline (as the original poster mentioned) and I feel the risk out weighs the benefits UNLESS you plan on "using it" at the range during your trip.
    Last edited by PolarBear; December 5th, 2006 at 08:17 PM.

Never have lost a firearm while flying, but have" lost" two sets of golf clubs. (Since 911, the last three times I flew, I was "pulled out" by security for interrogation. It is because my carry-on bag is also my range bag and the sensors were picking up on the powders. They were very hateful.)I would never fly American with a firearm - it would not make it, and they don't have the customer service that USAir has. Glad you got it back.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    They gave you good customer service? Or is it more like, "They adequately rectified CRAP customer service"?

I think it's terrifying that they sent the rifle to you in a freakin' TAXI. Someone should be losing their JOB over that lapse in judgment!

Glad you got your rifle back. Was the case still locked and undamaged?

Links