What a difference 2 pounds makes!

This is a discussion on What a difference 2 pounds makes! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My AR has never really been pimped out to the extent that a lot of AR's I have seen are. My first one was... But ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 3 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By dangerranger
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By oldskeetshooter
  • 1 Post By AzQkr
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: What a difference 2 pounds makes!

My AR has never really been pimped out to the extent that a lot of AR's I have seen are. My first one was... But when I built my mil spec, all purpose, HD, SHTF, range rifle I had one thing in mind. Weight! I wanted to make it as light as possible. I went with the Magpul forend instead of a fancy quad rail. The only thing I put on it was a Protac light and a Primary Arms micro red dot. With a loaded mag it weighed in right around 8 pounds. At 8 pounds I thought it was incredibly light and handy. Then Primary Arms released their brand new 1x6 scope...

I really like Primary Arms stuff. They make a good budget optic that is a couple steps above on the quality scale when compared to other budget stuff. It's well built and affordable and offers the average joe shooter a decent quality optic that inst garbage at a price that doesn't break the bank. I waited almost 4 months for them to release their 1x6 scope. Their 1x4 got pretty good reviews so I figured the 1x6 would be equally as good. I was not disappointed. The scope was 250.00 + another 100 or so for a Burris pepper QD scope mount. I will be doing a review in the next week or two.

I really like the setup. The reason I was drawn to the 1x6 is that it offers a lot of flexibility. The thing I was most surprised at though was the weight! Between the scope and the mount the setup weighs in around 2 pounds and boy does it make a difference! At 8 pounds (with the red dot) the rifle feels featherweight but at 10 pounds with the 1x6 and mount it feels like a cinder block with a magpul stock! Seriously, I couldn't believe the difference! I really like the scope and the wide range of capability that it gives me but I cant believe the difference that 2 pounds makes on a rifle...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Two pounds is a serious jump up in weight percentage wise.

That is what drew me to the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4, still a lot of versatility, but it comes in at 10-11 ounces for the illuminated SPR reticle model. I picked one up the other week for $400, plus $60 for a weaver mount that is lighter weight than the P.E.P.R. A bit pricier, but IMO the weight savings are worth it. I have also generally moved away from quad rails for weight reasons.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I remember how heavy that dummy m16 was compared to real, and it was only 1.x overweight, 2 lbs is a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRiley View Post
    I remember how heavy that dummy m16 was compared to real, and it was only 1.x overweight, 2 lbs is a lot!
    Dummy M-16s also have their balance thrown all off since all of the weight is in the barrel.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    My Galil with a fully stoked 50 round magazine, optics mount, and an AimPoint is 12 + Pounds - Stop Complaining.
    I need to eat some spinach right out of the can before I lug it around all day.
    But, I love it anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Just get a 5 foot high Bipod on wheels,you won't hardly feel like your holding a gun
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I built this rifle as a dedicated squirrel rifle. Mostly shot from a bench. With this barrel I can shoot long strings without overheating the barrel. But with its barrel and scope I wouldnt want to carry it more than just a couple of miles. just a thought, Could you cut weight by shortening the barrel? or are you already as short as you can go?

QKShooter likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Forget the rifle weight. Take two pounds off your waist.
    Rock and Glock and AzQkr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My Galil with a fully stoked 50 round magazine, optics mount, and an AimPoint is 12 + Pounds - Stop Complaining.
    I need to eat some spinach right out of the can before I lug it around all day.
    But, I love it anyway.
    Squad automatics usually weigh more don't they?
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

Weight? What's that? Try humping this bad boy for a few hours.

33" X 1-1/8" Douglas .54 caliber barrel. Weight :10 lbs. 3 oz., 200 yard M.O.A groups, with proper handloads.

Rate of fire is somewhat slow, however, half of a brick at subsonic velocities is extremely devastating.
    QKShooter likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Forget the rifle weight. Take two pounds off your waist.
    I don't have two pounds to loose.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I don't have two pounds to loose.

Perhaps put two pounds of muscle on then

My go to rifle is mini 30 at 6.75 pounds unloaded, make it 7 pounds even with the eotech on it. Light, fast, quick handling and 30 cal punch which I prefer over any 223/556 for go to needs.
    QKShooter likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I "pimped" my AR out once upon a time. All it took was one afternoon of hard training in the brutal Texas summer for me to reconsidor. After training I went home and put all the lightweight stock parts back on and have not looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Squad automatics usually weigh more don't they?
    Depends on the variant, but somewhere between 18-23 pounds unloaded IIRC.

My M-16A4 with M-203, Acog, leaf sight and Peq-15 was somewhere around 14-15. More with fancy infrared sights.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    dangerranger
    I built this rifle as a dedicated squirrel rifle.

Which eye do you prefer hitting them in....the right or the left?

Nice tackdriver.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsored Links