Hunting Rifle Tips?

Hunting Rifle Tips?

This is a discussion on Hunting Rifle Tips? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I'm looking to break into the world of hunting. Deer, bear, moose, elk, etc. Currently going out, I would be armed with an AR15 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Hunting Rifle Tips?

Hunting Rifle Tips?

Well, I'm looking to break into the world of hunting. Deer, bear, moose, elk, etc. Currently going out, I would be armed with an AR15 and my M&P 40 lol. Ok to hunt with I'm sure, but possibly outside social norms. SO does anyone have any hunting rifle recommendations?

Winchester Model 70 seems pretty legit and research seems to hold it in high regards.
    Remington model 700 seems pretty sweet too!

Any experienced hunters here?

Thanks!

-Kyle

Senior Moderator
    Yeah. That .223 is a bit light for deer, bear, moose, elk etc. So much so that its not even legal to hunt deer with in some states. Yeah, it'll kill a deer or anything else, but it certainly isn't the best tool for the job.

If you are going to hunt all of the above, I would consider a .270 as the minimum, with a .308 or even a .30-06 as being even better.

M70, and Rem 700 are both fine rifles and will work well if you are up to it.
    pittypat21 and bmcgilvray like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Depending on terrain and local laws you may or may not be able to use a rifle. Up here it is mostly tight brush , thick stands of trees , swamps that you find deer with short shots being the norm. If you are hunting open fields, with longer shots a scoped rifle helps. Down state shotgun only zones are typical.
    Nothing wrong with a AR 15 for deer hunting. I have hunted with bolt action rifles, lever guns , pistol caliber carbines . A model700 or 70 are traditional rifles IMO, as is a 30-30 or 30-06 wood stocked rifle. Match you rifle to your area and hunting style. Find others who hunt the same area and find what type of shots they usually take.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I got rid of all my rem 700s. There are questions regarding their safety. Some will probably actually be mad at me saying that, and claim that there are no safety issues with them.

Im satisfied enough to have sold off my 700s. I replaced them with a Tikka T3. I love it.

Tikka T3 - Quality Rifles Combining Performance with Value
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    For shots less than 200 yards don’t pass up a good lever action in 30-30.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I doubt it's legal to hunt anything larger than a White Tail with a 5.65. Your shot placement has to be great too, and if you're not a crack shot I believe it to be unethical to hunt with such a small caliber.

IMO, the best all around caliber for North American big game is 7mm Mag. I've kilt them with every common caliber, and most magnum handguns. .30-06 would be my choice on the lighter side, and .300 Win Mag above (some may not consider it above). I don't predator hunt, but if I ever decide to shoot a bear it will be with enough gun, and probably either .45-70 or .375 H&H.

IMO there is a big difference between white tail, mules, sheep, antelope, elk, moose, and bear (black and brown are also totally different), and you also choose your rifle based on the terrain, the quarry, and how you're hunting. My 7mm with a rangfinding scope is great for fields, and next to worthless in brush. There really isn't a perfect rifle for all big game hunting, which is why most serious hunters have a golf club bag full of rifles depending on the game and situation from .243 or .22-250 all the way to .45-70 or .375.

If you're trying to buy just one .30-06 (not slick but with iron sights) is a standard for a reason. I would also get a bolt, for allot of additional reasons, and if you want it all around get some see-thru rings so you can still use iron sights and mount a scope. Nothing wrong with Remington, but keep it a bolt for your first one.

Very little in life beats hunting, IMO.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Oh, yea, most importantly, find some non-yahoo guys who know what they're doing to take you out your first few times. You'll get a lot more out of it as an actual student than by trial and error.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Living in 29 Palms Id say start with hunting Coyotes and Jack Rabbits. The 223 will be fine to get started. The learning curve is the same, you are going to pick a quarry, learn its habbits and habitat. learn when and where to expect to see them and learn to be quiet and still, and learn to shoot quickly when a shot presents itself. When you have learned these things it will easily transfer to deer hunting. And by then you will have a better idea of what you want in a rifle for bigger game. Where I hunt long shots are not the norm, but you may need a rifle that reaches out. I shoot a lever gun in 45 colt, and 30 30 for pigs. and 6.5x57 or 7mm Mauser for anything bigger. For coyotes I use a 22 Hornet or 223. Good Luck, Ive enjoyed many hours hunting. DR

There are SO many choices out there!

It really comes down to what you're going to hunt, and where you're going to hunt. I just finished reading about the performance of the .25-06 (a friend has one for sale), and how versatile it is for all but the toughest-skinned North American game, and we still have a thread up about the .220 Swift. But you also can't deny the versatility of the .30-06 and its little brother, the .308.

You can kill a moose with a .22 magnum ear shot, but that doesn't mean that's an ideal cartridge. And of course a .338 Win Mag would be on the overkill side for antelope.

So what kind of game, and what kind of terrain?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    First step is to get and read a copy the regulations for the state and specific area in which you will be hunting. That will tell you what is legal.

Are you asking about rifles or cartridges?

As for cartridges, I would not attempt moose with anything less than .308 Winchester and then only with broadside shots. 30/06 would be better and some consider that too light, although plenty have been killed with it.

Consider also the distances at which you are likely to be making shots. In many areas of the west the distances can run up to 300 yards. Particularly when after Mule deer or elk. You must be able to put your rounds into about a 10" circle at that distance. Remember also that what counts is not muzzle energy but retained energy at the point of impact. That argues for a flat-shooting cartridge with enough bullet weight to penetrate well at long distance.

Know the capabilities of both your rifle and yourself

What ever the distance, you want a quick, clean kill. Use enough gun, get close enough to be certain, know your gun and your round's trajectory.

I see lots of good advice on this thread.

Since you already have an AR, you're just a barrel change away from a big game rifle. A 6.5 mm projectile can do wonderful things. I read an article on the 6.8 SPC where they were taking carribou at 300 yds, a 6.5 would do just as well. Can't go wrong with the model 70 or 700.

The Tikka T3 is a nice rifle, but Stormrhyder, it's pretty rude to be so cryptic about criticizing one of the most used rifles in the US. Why don't you come right out and enlighten us? - or is it something that is actually no longer an issue . I've had a 700 for 25 yrs and never had a problem.
    pittypat21 likes this.

The 6.5mm bullets have outstanding sectional density which makes them over-achievers in penetration, ergo, good for larger game as well. That's why the 6.5mm x 55mm Swedish mausers have been so popular as game-takers; all that performance in a mild-shooting, accurate package! The .260 Rem cartridge duplicates those ballistics in a more efficient cartridge. The shorter cartridge makes for a bit lighter action and a bit quicker bolt throw.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I got rid of all my rem 700s. There are questions regarding their safety. Some will probably actually be mad at me saying that, and claim that there are no safety issues with them.

I'm satisfied enough to have sold off my 700s.
    Let them be mad I say. Better mad than dead wouldn't you say? Here's the short version: When Remington realized there was a problem and it could be fixed for less than a dollar per rifle there should have been a recall of the 700 series. Upper management nixed that idea and it was all brushed under the table.

I saw a video where US Marine sniper teams basically slapped the side of the trigger guard when the rifle is in battery and the rifle will fire. No finger on the trigger actual.

The 30.30 and 30.06 have put venison on the table since before WWII. As others above have stated the 223 round is not legal for deer hunting in some areas. Also when hunting, magazine capacity is limited.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've used my Rem 700 .30-06 to hunt everything from deer in GA to caribou and moose in AK and it's always got the job done without question. I've hand loaded bullets from 130 grain HPs for varmints to 200 grain Spire points for long range moose. Handloads can definitely improve the accuracy of a standard production rifle.

Any good name brand rifle in .30-06 will cover anything you might want to hunt short of the big AK brownies. My next choice would be a 7x57 in a good bolt action.
    Stevew and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links