Porting a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44

This is a discussion on Porting a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking of sending my CA Pug over to MagnaPort for porting. The recoil on my gun is manageable for what's used for, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Porting a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44

I was thinking of sending my CA Pug over to MagnaPort for porting. The recoil on my gun is manageable for what's used for, but I was wondering if anyone offer any opinions or insights since I don't want to be a mall ninja.

If it is a carry gun dont do it... the muzzle flash from a ported gun is downright rediculous and will completely blind you in low ligh since the flame escapes out the top on a ported gun... if it is a range toy, have at it.
    ShooterGranny and GhostMaker like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

also, its a charter arms.... porting it is not really worth the cost IMO... YMMV
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My experience with ported guns is admittedly limited but for a snub nosed carry gun it doesn't seem a good idea to me. I wouldn't want to have to shoot from retention with it and the muzzle flash you'd get wouldn't be something I'd want in a self defense carry gun. It's not something I would do to that CA Bulldog Pug.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I understand your concern with flash, but it is almost non existent. I have three ported snubs an have no problem what so ever with flash. I have used Gold Dot, Sabers, but prefer buffalo bore low flash low smoke still get great velocity around 1225fps for low light no problem what so ever . The porting really helps with muzzle flip an the ability to keep on target. Gemini an magnaport port so the escaping gas goes away from the shooter not sure how you could get a face full of gas. I have shot thousands of rounds through my snubs an never had a problem. I suspect people who tell you different have little or no experience with them. image.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Easy8; October 2nd, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

I have sold all of my handguns with porting. They are much louder with porting. They have more muzzle flash with porting. If you are in a wrestling match with a bad guy and have to shoot, it may severely burn you with the flame from the porting. If it is a long barrel 460 S&W magnum or 500 S&W magnum used for hunting or range shooting, it helps with muzzle flip.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I love the CA Bulldog in 44spl, but its a tad thick to carry due to the cylinder size (still want one). I carried a CA Pug in .357 Mag for 12 years as an off-duty sidearm, but always wished it had a 3 inch bbl as I can't see how the powder could possibly burn fully in a 2 inch span.... actually, it didn't as I could see an 18 inch flame following the projectile, which was obviously my powder burning. I eventually went to .38+Ps and a 6 in fireball with the good duty-Grade ammo.
    A fellow LEO carried his .44 SS Bulldog with a 2.5 inch bbl, made more sense to me.

It took me 12 years to wear-out my "Pug", but I ran a LOT of rounds through it e/day.
    U would Never port a 2.5 in bbl, especially on a .44 Spl. Neither will Charter Arms, not even on their 4 inch bbl Target Model as you can see here: Charter Arms - Impact Guns

But, oddly, they sell ported .357 Mags with 2 inch bbls (what is the logic of letting your propellent escape prematurely & diminishing you 'fps' & POI 'energy'?).
    I have fired ported .40 cal semis, but got the 'flash' and 'a facefull of residue'. Factor in a slower projectile and it would seem far more logical to just learn to control the 'muzzle-jump'.

I never worked for a LEO agency, that allowed for on-duty use of ported barrels.... I can certainly see why.
    With the cost of .44 Spls, there is no way I'd give up a single ft-lb of velocity or terminal energy. For self-defense, I want all the 'Power' I can possibly get.

Ported barrels make sense for longer 'Competition' barrels, where the extra length is utilized as 'weight in reducing 'muzzle jump' and the amount of 'energy dump' is moot, but it would be a terrible waste of needed resources in a defensive firearm.
    Since you are noy concerned about the 'energy-of-impact' you can reduce 'muzzle jump' significantly by using some WWB, Federal AE or other 'low-dose' powder charge Range ammo and actually save money.

Or, you could sell me the Bulldog and buy yourself a 'lighter' caliber.
    wmhawth and Kilowatt3 like this.

Why?
    wmhawth likes this.

Administrator
    Mag-Na-Port would be the only porting that you should consider because their unique EDM porting directs expelled gasses directionally & away from the shooter.

Also just as an FYI there is no loss in FPS w/ Mag-Na-Port porting. That has been extensively tested both through independent testing and also by Mag-Na-Port.

If you think the cost is justified porting a Charter Arms then you should opt for Mag-Na-port only.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

yeah... but... why?

Porting a snub is a BAD move.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Kilowatt3, why is it a bad move

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Why?

^^I'm in this camp^^^^

Don't port a .44spl.
    There is no need to.
    But if you do, do like QK said, and send it to Larry Kelly's boys.

Larry, sadly is no longer with us, but his genius and innovation live on.

Mag-na-port International--The Company

Larry Kelly Of Mag-Na-Port | American Handgunner

Larry Kelly Obituary: View Larry Kelly's Obituary by The Macomb Daily
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    1. Go borrow a ported gun.
    2. Take it to the range.
    3. Shoot it from retention.
    4. Put the fire out on your shirt.
    5. Seek medical attention for the burns on your chest and possibly other area.
    6. Decide whether you want a ported gun for defensive use.

--------------------

I speak somewhat in jest, but shooting from retention is a concern with a ported handgun. The flash is what it is.... I've never seen a ported gun that didn't have a rather bright flash but I think it is somewhat overblown by most people. I honestly never understood why it was such a problem until a Tulsa police officer showed me a shirt he'd worn while training that was actually burned. I thought it was pretty odd until I remembered that they used ported Glocks. Then it all clicked... and I knew I'd never own a ported pistol.
    Secret Spuk and Kilowatt3 like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Thank you for responses, I appreciate having some more insights into this. I intend for my bulldog to be my CCW should the day ever come when the Department of Agriculture see fit to mail out my license.

"Why"

Well, I've actually read of really positive reviews about the porting and thought it was too good to be true, so I figured I would gather some more information about and make an informed decision. Also, I really love my gun and want it to be the best pocket cannon it can be. Any suggestions on improvements that could be made to it?

"Or, you could sell me the Bulldog and buy yourself a 'lighter' caliber."
    No, I am never parting with it haha. The recoil doesn't start to bother me until about 25 rounds in and I expect it will bother me less once I have more range time with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links