Moving, with a question..

This is a discussion on Moving, with a question.. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am in need of a way to transport my pistols during my move... and I do not want to go the TSA route... for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Moving, with a question..

I am in need of a way to transport my pistols during my move... and I do not want to go the TSA route... for fear they will be lost.

I don't want to go the FFL to FFL route, because I shouldn't have to spend $200 to ship 3 handguns.... to myself...

The other route was mailing to myself, but I want to be within the law.

I have checked the ATF website, the way I understand it...

I am able to ship my pistols from NYS, to FL where I am moving... to myself, at my new home address...but it has to be "in care of someone"... and they are not able to open the package, only I am.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

Or any suggestions for transporting my 3 pistols.

I bought a pelican case, and was going to declare them and fly with them... but the more I think about it.. the more I don't want to do that. Not looking to be out $2k in pistols... cause they get "lost".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A NY'er moving to FL. There's an original thought.

I take it you're flying to FL? Many people fly with guns in checked baggage, but I understand your concerns. If you were driving you could put them in the trunk and forget about it. You can make arrangements to ship them to yourself via a FFL at a local LGS in FL where you're going, but contact the receiving LGS first and let them know so they'll know why they're getting them.
    Drgnfly and Taurahe like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A NY'er moving to FL. There's an original thought.

I take it you're flying to FL? Many people fly with guns in checked baggage, but I understand your concerns. If you were driving you could put them in the trunk and forget about it. You can make arrangements to ship them to yourself via a FFL at a local LGS in FL where you're going, but contact the receiving LGS first and let them know so they'll know why they're getting them.

Yeah lol. I know there are some angry FL members here that hate to see this post. Oh well :)

Thanks for the info. Yeah I was going to drive and do that, but things changed. Guess I'll look for a LGS and see if they will accept them from me privately and not a NY FFL.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It will most likely have to be from FFL to FFL.

(Just leave NY behind when you turn out the lights! )
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Can you take them apart and ship them in two packages? Don't know if that's legal...just a thought.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your upcoming move! It seems you can ship the firearms directly to a FFL in Florida.

From the ATF website (Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | ATF

Q: May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?
    Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.
    Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
    A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
    [18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

What about renting a car and driving down? Then you'll have the firearms with you the whole time. I understand that your plans changed, but it only takes a couple of days to drive down.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clintopher View Post
    Can you take them apart and ship them in two packages? Don't know if that's legal...just a thought.
    Illegal: 432 Mailability

432 Mailability

432.1 General

The following conditions apply:
    Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
    The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
    Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
    Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
    18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Spend the money, send them FFL to FFL and be done with it...... peace of mind will be cheaper than replacing the guns if something happens.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

We don't care "How ya did it up North" J/K ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    If you are not in a rush and don't mind seeing some country, why not drive them to your new home? You could stop off in Virginia, North Carolina, or South Carolina over night and finish the next day. Virginia is very gun friendly (open carry state).
    Tundra5.7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Spend the money, send them FFL to FFL and be done with it...... peace of mind will be cheaper than replacing the guns if something happens.
    I 'm with you on that.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    You've already dropped the coin on a Pelican case, take 'em with you on the flight. I've never had any issues with TSA goons....

US Air and Southwest are very gun friendly....
    Drgnfly likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have mailed guns to myself several times. As a unlicensed person you can not send handguns through the US mail tho. It will have to go UPS or Fedex. You will most likely have to ship them at a company store not a Mall Mailing center. You should when you print your mailing label make 6 and put one on each side of the package. You should require an adult signature on the reciving end.The pelican case should be in a cardboard box. The person reciving it should not open the box, as this would be illegaly reciving firearms. They just recive and set asside the package till you arrive. I have shipped hundreds of packages all over the country containing guns, and gun parts. So I wouldnt worry about it. DR
    Drgnfly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I have mailed guns to myself several times. As a unlicensed person you can not send handguns through the US mail tho. It will have to go UPS or Fedex. You will most likely have to ship them at a company store not a Mall Mailing center. You should when you print your mailing label make 6 and put one on each side of the package. You should require an adult signature on the reciving end.The pelican case should be in a cardboard box. The person reciving it should not open the box, as this would be illegaly reciving firearms. They just recive and set asside the package till you arrive. I have shipped hundreds of packages all over the country containing guns, and gun parts. So I wouldnt worry about it. DR
    So how do I go about declaring them to UPS then ? Just say they are firearms and I need them insured for X amount.

Will they freak out ? lol

I'm not looking to drive down because the renting of a car, gas, hotel to stay over (driving by myself) and other factors such as can't fit everything inside a rental car.. all play a factor.

As of right now, the best thing is for me to have my stuff moved and catch a plane.

The pistols are the only hang up haha.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    When I use UPS I package them at home, take them to the UPS distribution center, I inform them of the contents, and insure them for the replacement costs including tax, FFL fees, ETC... With handguns they will make you ship them overnight. That makes less time in their hands and it forces them to scan the package at every transfer. If you call UPS ahead of time they will give you the rundown. Good luck with your move, DR
    Drgnfly likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links