Picked up a new S&W 686+

This is a discussion on Picked up a new S&W 686+ within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, I made a topic last week about a couple of guns I was interested in and I decided on a S&W 686+ with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Picked up a new S&W 686+

Picked up a new S&W 686+

Hey all,

I made a topic last week about a couple of guns I was interested in and I decided on a S&W 686+ with a 6" barrel. I just got back from picking it up at the gun store.

I think it's a great looking gun and can't wait to get out and shoot it this weekend, I only got 2 50rd boxes of .38 but it should hold me over for a while.

I have noticed 2 things about it though, first the trigger looks discolored and is not a consistent color, I'm assuming this is from some kind of metal hardening process maybe, but it doesn't really bother me.

The second thing is if you tilt it side to side or shake it it sounds like something is rattling on the inside behind the side plate. I bought it brand new in the box and it has a manufacture date of early September so it was only fired once by S&W. Is the rattling something I should be concerned about? This is my first revolver so I don't want to go taking the thing apart if it isn't anything to worry about.

Here's a couple pictures of it.

2. Remove Ads

Looks beautiful enjoy her.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    My 2.5 bbl is tight and doesn't rattle

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    My 2.5 bbl is tight and doesn't rattle
    I just did a quick search about the rattling sound and from what I just read it says that it's from the hammer block. I don't know a lot about revolvers or really many guns in general, but I'm trying to learn so I don't know if that is correct.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex2008 View Post
    I just did a quick search about the rattling sound and from what I just read it says that it's from the hammer block. I don't know a lot about revolvers or really many guns in general, but I'm trying to learn so I don't know if that is correct.
    Hammer block most likely. It's the metal block that rides up between the hammer and frame when you release the hammer and "decock" the old fashioned way. It's connected to the rebound slid by a long bar. At rest it will have a little play and shake a bit.

Here's a pic of one in a model 66:

005-1.jpg

The discoloration in the trigger and hammer is normal. It is a "case hardened" look, but the parts are really MIM.

Interesting grips. What are they?

Update: I just checked two of my 686's. One of them does not "rattle," but another does. Both operate fine. Probably the difference is due to minor tolerances.
    Last edited by PEF; October 2nd, 2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Update
    alex2008 and oneshot like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Looks great, nice choice...may it serve you well.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Hammer block most likely. It's the metal block that rides up between the hammer and frame when you release the hammer and "decock" the old fashioned way. It's connected to the rebound slid by a long bar. At rest it will have a little play and shake a bit.

Here's a pic of one in a model 66:

005-1.jpg

The discoloration in the trigger and hammer is normal. It is a "case hardened" look, but the parts are really MIM.

Interesting grips. What are they?

Update: I just checked two of my 686's. One of them does not "rattle," but another does. Both operate fine. Probably the difference is due to minor tolerances.
    They are S&W grips, this is what I found on there website

Product: Model 686 Deluxe 6in. Barrel Textured Wood Grips

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alex2008 View Post
    They are S&W grips, this is what I found on there website

Product: Model 686 Deluxe 6in. Barrel Textured Wood Grips
    Cool. With that 6" barrel that should be one tac driver.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sure the gun is far more accurate than I will probably ever be.

Now I'm on to holster shopping. I kind of like this one:
    Product: Right Hand Tan Leather Silhouette Holster For L-H Frame Revolver

I most likely won't ever try to carry it concealed but I may OC it every once in a while. Do you guys have any holster suggestions I can check out? I haven't really found too many for the 6" barrel.

VIP Member
    Yes, the triggers on both of my S&W revolvers have that "funny" coloration. It's permanent. But they work! And I never before noticed that my 686 rattles when I shake it -- -- guess I was always too busy shooting it!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I usually don't go around shaking my guns either but I was turning it over back and forth admiring it and I noticed it rattled a little

Beautiful shooter there. I was issued a 586 (blue) 4 inch, when I joined my first LE job as a Sheriff's Deputy. It was the most accurate sidearm I'd ever own. Those wood grips were called "Target Grips", but I never knew why (put Pachmayers on it right away, anyway). I shot in the 'State's LE Combat League' after qualifying as "Master" in my first year.
    99% of the LEO shooters in the early 80s used a SS 686 (I used my 4 in 586 Duty Issue). I soon became #1 in the State, consistently won the 'Police Olympics' and many Invitational LE shoots. I never changed the factory sights.
    One year I traded my 586 for a Model 66 4 inch in SS (for no particular reason) and never won a 'LE Combat Match' again.

I would have went back to the 586/686, but I went to work for the State & they had their own 'full-time' shooting team.

Huge Congrats on that 686...... Don't ever sell it.
    Mine never rattled, even after 40k rounds & never heard of any that did.... but mine was only a six-shooter.
    I'd check with S&W, just to be sure.

She is gorgeous!! I went into my LGS last year with the intent of picking up a 686+ and ended up walking out with an AR! I have every intention of making the 686 my next purchase.

Great buy!!

Semper Paratus et Armare
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

VIP Member
    One other possible source of rattle - your cylinder release button. These have some play and may rattle. You can remove it (just unscrew the female screw from the cylinder release post) and then shake again to check.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't plan on ever getting rid of it, this one is going to be with me for a long time and I'm sure it'll always be one of my favorites.

From the research I've been doing it seems that it is common with the newer lock models, but I'm still going to check with S&W just to make sure.

Update:
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    One other possible source of rattle - your cylinder release button. These have some play and may rattle. You can remove it (just unscrew the female screw from the cylinder release post) and then shake again to check.
    I have been checking it out a little and when the trigger is fully pulled I can't hear anything moving
    Last edited by alex2008; October 2nd, 2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links