Rock Island Armory M-1911 A1, FS-Tactical

This is a discussion on Rock Island Armory M-1911 A1, FS-Tactical within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased a Storm Lake threaded barrel for a .45 suppressor and, of course, needed a "host". It will drop into any 5" Government. I ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Jaeger
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 3 Post By OD*
  • 1 Post By Jaeger

Thread: Rock Island Armory M-1911 A1, FS-Tactical

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

Rock Island Armory M-1911 A1, FS-Tactical

I purchased a Storm Lake threaded barrel for a .45 suppressor and, of course, needed a "host". It will drop into any 5" Government. I don't know about you, but I keep my expensive 1911s stock, and I never have any of the problems you hear about on the Internet, ever.

If I do any customization it's strictly a factory job, and that's $$$. Cash that could be spend on another firearm.

The RIA is my low cost 1911 alternative that I don't mind messing with and devaluing. Theoretically I could just drop the original barrel back into a Colt or Springer, but I honestly just don't want to mess with it. You never know what could happen, and I'm not a gunsmith, and don't do amateur gun smithing.

I really like these 1911 copies. This one is a little taciticool for my taste. Not much I can do about the parkerized finish, but some new wood grips to replace the rubber will take the edge off. Not much can also be done about RIAs billboard paint on the slide (why do they do that!). The ambi thumb safety is nice I suppose, there's some nice checkering on the main spring housing, and a good extended beaver tail. Other than that it's pretty plain vanilla. I'm gone play hooky tomorrow for an hour or two and see how it runs.

The thing came literally dripping with packing grease/oil (as usual with RIA). It took be half a can of blaster to get all the oil off. But it's now totally Froglubed and ready to rock.

It'll be next year before I can pick up the can. Oh well, this will still be fun while I'm waiting.
    OD*, bmcgilvray, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

I've had my RIA for about a year now, I think. I haven't done anything to it but take off the CT Lasergrips it came with and shoot the snot out of it. It quickly became one of my favorite range guns.
    Jaeger likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

OD*
    That could be a very fun project!

If you'd held out a little longer, RIA is changing their rollmarkings.

Jaeger, WHEC724 and Cuda66 like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I haven't seen the guns in person. Could the roll markings be chemically dissolved without degrading the metal finish?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    They could, and for that matter the horrid Parkerizing could be removed, everything polished, and the pistol re-blued (looking as God intended). Only now you could have bought a Colt with the money you spent. Here is one that seems to have been done thusly: Custom 1911 Tactical Match BLUED Possible trade : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com I figure that's probably a $400 loss for the guy. I don't intend to ever sell this pistol, but I do like knowing the value of all my firearms, and I like to keep that as high as possible as a hedge and thinking about my kids owning them in 40 or 50 years (hopefully that long!).

Buying this pistol thinking I wouldn't mind messing with it and potentially abusing it was probably a mistake, or rather a self delusion. When I field stripped it last night I found myself reinserting the slide stop as carefully as I would an actual Colt 1911. Shooting it today (about an hour ago) I treated it no differently than any other real or copy Government Model.

I certainly haven't shot it enough to cement an opinion, but after taking it to the range and putting 100 flawless rounds through it (sorry, I forgot to take pictures and was pressed for time), I'm finding I'm handling it like any other fine Government Model. This pistol clearly requires no "break in period". It's flawless out of the box. The trigger isn't as utterly perfect as many, but it's about the same as a stock GI, and it's certainly worlds better than most new pistols on the market. I was in the ten ring the whole way, rapid fire and all except one flyer that was all me jerking a shot.

Tonight field stripping and cleaning it I am certain it will be given the care and attention of firearms ten times the cost. I'll still drop the threaded barrel into it, but now I'll probably worry about it...

I guess it is what it is. I won't argue that Parkerizing is not a better gun finish than bluing. By all accounts it's much tougher and protects the metal much better. Truth be known bluing was always sort of the cheaper method to protect the metal, but cheap or not it makes the metal look like gunmetal, and when done right it's the best looking (IMO only). I've never liked Ni plated or flashy pistols. I have stainless and bright stainless, but that's as flashy as I can get. I like figured wood and blue metal. I don't like anorexic women wearing too much make-up either!

I'm not in any hurry to buy new grips. The rubber ones that come on it are comfortable and functional (they just aren't pretty, and this one is growing on me like a weed, bill-board and all). As a first or full sized carry that you don't mind holster wear I'm not sure you can beat these RIA copies.

I also took a S&W .22A, with a big reflex sight mounted on top of it, that I got as part of a collection (it was some of the other firearms that held my attention). This is nothing like I would normally buy or set up. I was thinking about trading it for something else, till a guy in the LGS said it was only worth $100 and that they were jam-o-matics. Boy, was he wrong. It functioned perfectly slow or as fast as you could pull the trigger. The reflex was dialed in by the previous owner perfectly (which is good, because I didn't bring an Allen wrench to adjust it), and I was shocked at how fantastic the sight picture was. I'm a both eyes open shooter, and on the mil dot setting it was almost magical how fast and clean the sight picture comes up (there are three other reticles that I don't care for). In about five magazines I was rapid firing 10s and bulls near the back of the range. I was amazed. It may shoot better with this sight mounted than my Match Target, and I wouldn't have thought that possible. I don't have any Smith Automatics except this one that was "thrown in", but I'm telling you that this pistol is a shooter, and practically a race gun. The design is very different than any other pistol I have, and I was pretty skeptical when I broke it down and cleaned it, but I would say that, though unusual, they have this design figured out. If they are as inexpensive as the GS guy says, it may be one of the best values out there.

I don't have a pic of it, but it looks something like this:
    Img_2121PIX.jpg
    OD* likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Links