Ammo storage: Loose or in manufacturer's boxes?

This is a discussion on Ammo storage: Loose or in manufacturer's boxes? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have my various calibers stored in 50 cal cans and the boxes take up a lot of space. Other than losing track of lot ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Ammo storage: Loose or in manufacturer's boxes?

I have my various calibers stored in 50 cal cans and the boxes take up a lot of space. Other than losing track of lot #'s, is there any drawback to removing the rounds from the box and storing them loose in the cans?

Counting hundreds or thousands of loose rounds sucks.

If you are even slightly OCD about organization it could be a problem.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Not unless you let the bulk containers to get tossed around. The reason ammo is sold in the stacked and packed boxes is so that the rounds have less chance of getting marred or damaged in some way during shipping. We have just gotten used to seeing ammo like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member
    I prefer to keep my rounds boxed in trays. Don't even have to be the originals boxes, but it helps me keep the different brands and styles separate so I can know what I have easier. When at the range I dump them in a small bowl. It's easier for me to reload when they are loose. Don't think it would hurt to store them loose if you don't mind them getting mixed, or each can is only one caliber/brand/style.

I keep ~500 rounds of EDC target shooting ammo in plastic ammo boxes, and the rest in their original containers. All self defense ammo is pre-screened and in a plastic ammo box. I inspect each round that goes into the plastic ammo boxes. Non-EDC ammo gets the same treatment, but more like ~200-300 rounds per caliber in plastic ammo boxes.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    I keep ~500 rounds of EDC target shooting ammo in plastic ammo boxes, and the rest in their original containers. All self defense ammo is pre-screened and in a plastic ammo box. I inspect each round that goes into the plastic ammo boxes. Non-EDC ammo gets the same treatment, but more like ~200-300 rounds per caliber in plastic ammo boxes.
    what do you inspect them for?

I know lots of people recommend tossing the original packaging, and just storing the ammo loose in cans. I dont.

The reason I like to keep the original packaging, is in case there is an ammo malfunction. Then you would have a better chance of identifying the lot, or batch, or something about it, to tell the gun maker, and/or the ammo company.

I do, of course keep all those packs of ammo in ammo cans, as well for storage.

I keep my 5.56X45mm and 7.62X51mm ammo loose in 50 caliber cans. I keep my self-defense handgun, target rifle, hunting rifle, and shotgun rounds in the manufacturer's boxes until used.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Glock2201--Just to make sure there's no manufacturing defects...especially with cheap target ammo.

And where do you get cheap target ammo......................??

Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by jsmokey View Post
    And where do you get cheap target ammo......................??

Smokey
    Walmart

No kidding, you really should look at ordering online. Its cheaper than walmart, during normal times. Other than perhaps bulk packs of .22.

Quote Originally Posted by 88keys View Post
    Walmart

VIP Member
    I am the manufacturer and all my rounds go in hundreds into quart zip lock freezer bags and then into metal military cans.

If I were buying manufactured ammo, I'd probably keep them in the boxes just in case you have a recall situation.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Other than losing track of lot #'s,..."

With all the highly reliable and safe commercial ammo that's been recalled in the last few years, you might need those lot numbers.
    TX expat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I am the manufacturer and all my rounds go in hundreds into quart zip lock freezer bags and then into metal military cans.

If I were buying manufactured ammo, I'd probably keep them in the boxes just in case you have a recall situation.
    I've done some similar to this. Loaded my own and vacuum sealed. Air-tight and bags are tough.
    TX expat likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links