Ammunition Shortage

This is a discussion on Ammunition Shortage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by NONAME762 I certainly don't but I do have a bone to pick with at least one ammo seller and they are one ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ammunition Shortage

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I certainly don't but I do have a bone to pick with at least one ammo seller and they are one of the sponsors here.
    Further more I will NEVER BUY AMMO from these skin flints.
    They have 100R boxes of 22 for $8 each or what they call half cases for $85 each for 500R. them and the horse they rode in on.

Since the Feds and or the States are having lousy luck instituting further restrictions on our 2A right I see the unavailability of 22 and other calibers as a back door attack to keep us unarmed. Further more I would urge all here to build up their ammo supplies as much as fiscally prudent and stop shooting up all your ammo and then coming on here and whining about it.

I have other comments I could make if this were a R-Restricted site. As it is not I will stifle myself. I got mad here 2 days ago and got thwacked for my comments albeit moderately so.

Welcome to the Forums here AmmoFan01 and welcome to Amerika, land of the
    Wow. That one might open the corral gate and let Maggie out again.
    Stevew likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

I think the American consumer created the ammunition shortage. We panicked and we emptied the shelves. We are responsible for throwing everything out of balance.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    Kind of hard to reconcile "Free Market" with artificially created demand and shortage. The threat of a legislatively created restriction on the market created the demand. Practices refined in the old Soviet Union are helping to create the shortage. One of the favorite products in the old Soviet Union was canned fish from East Germany. Clerks in stores would with hold this item and then either purchase the stock themselves or have a cohort purchase and sell it at a significant mark up. By removing the item from circulation they created the shortage they exploited.
    Yes but there was no item moved, the fear and panic buying was mostly self induced. Just because you cannot afford an item, and somebody else can and is willing to pay for it doesn't mean that your no longer in a free market. I will say that in this case guns may have become a luxery item. But this is what drives innovation, if you can't afford something your going to find alternatives. I for one was having trouble finding .45 and 9mm ammo myself about 10 years ago, I went out, purchased a reloading press, and learned how to reload. This year I couldn't find components, I went out purchased a .45 lead, and 9mm mold, now I'm casting. 100 Rounds of .45 ACP costs me around $7.00 minus cost of manufacturing which I do not consider because it is also a hobby.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Yes but there was no item moved, the fear and panic buying was mostly self induced. Just because you cannot afford an item, and somebody else can and is willing to pay for it doesn't mean that your no longer in a free market. I will say that in this case guns may have become a luxery item. But this is what drives innovation, if you can't afford something your going to find alternatives. I for one was having trouble finding .45 and 9mm ammo myself about 10 years ago, I went out, purchased a reloading press, and learned how to reload. This year I couldn't find components, I went out purchased a .45 lead, and 9mm mold, now I'm casting. 100 Rounds of .45 ACP costs me around $7.00 minus cost of manufacturing which I do not consider because it is also a hobby.
    Maybe different but here ammunition brands identified with certain retailers are often removed from circulation and flipped essentially eliminating the competition. As to the reloading I'm looking at selling one of my pistols that I rarely shoot to buy a reloading kit(Hear it's cheaper to buy the kit than separate press powder scale etc.) Then I plan to start with .38 special and .357 mag.

I can find 9mm pretty regularly at a reasonable price here. 22lr is another story. My LGS is the only place that regularly has it and they have up-priced it but that is supply and demand at it's root. I buy a few each week to ease the pain.

The shortage is to some extent self-sustaining.

Does anyone remember the "great toilet paper shortage" of 1973? It was started by a joke Johnny Carson made one night. In spite of admitting it was a joke for the next several nights, enough Americans were convinced it was true and for a few weeks it was hard to find TP on store shelves. The harder it was to find, the more likely people were to buy far more than they needed when they found some.

I continue to be amazed at the scarcity of even hunting ammo in the stores. Two weekends ago I went to Bass Pro and Sportsmen's Warehouse looking for .22, but I checked out the centerfire shelves as well. There wasn't a single round of .30-06 or .30-30 in either store. I can't remember ever - even in the middle of the hunting season - seeing zero inventory of these two popular calibers.

I have seen a greater availability of the popular auto pistol rounds, and .44 mag as well, but .38 and .357 remain largely unavailable, except for the defensive JHPs. Last March I would have guessed that the supply pipelines would have been back to nearly normal by now, but clearly that was a bad guess.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I certainly don't but I do have a bone to pick with at least one ammo seller and they are one of the sponsors here.
    Further more I will NEVER BUY AMMO from these skin flints.
    They have 100R boxes of 22 for $8 each or what they call half cases for $85 each for 500R. them and the horse they rode in on.

Since the Feds and or the States are having lousy luck instituting further restrictions on our 2A right I see the unavailability of 22 and other calibers as a back door attack to keep us unarmed. Further more I would urge all here to build up their ammo supplies as much as fiscally prudent and stop shooting up all your ammo and then coming on here and whining about it.

I have other comments I could make if this were a R-Restricted site. As it is not I will stifle myself. I got mad here 2 days ago and got thwacked for my comments albeit moderately so.

Welcome to the Forums here AmmoFan01 and welcome to Amerika, land of the
    Wow, where did that come from? Are you trying to "chanel" Maggie?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Gunbot or ammoseek have 9 mm for .27 rd an .22 cheap .38 32 cents rd

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I think it's in where you shop. I can't find .22LR in many places around here but walked into a Wal-Mart in North Georgia the other day and they had cases of .22 on the shelf.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Lately the local Bass Pro has been better stocked, even with some .22LR.

If I am going to Bass Pro I will always take a gander to see what they have. Locally they are still limiting purchases to three boxes or one multipack.

If I need something I go online. Just picked up a box left by the UPS guy on my way in the door. 250 rounds of 9mm target stuff for $85 including $11 shipping, but no sales tax and I can shop for it in my underwear if I was so inclined.....

Free Market Place….Supply & Demand.....Pricing Curve……Lightning In A Bottle…….Price Gouging; all corporate catchphrase perks. Milk prices may be next right up there with gasoline soon?

Ammo availability started becoming difficult to find right around the second week of Jan 2013. Over the past couple months it has become spotty and now it seems it is starting to ease up…a bit. Panic buying started it and now hording continues to fuel it. YMWV

Some people buy it to be able too continue to shoot, some to prepare for hunting season, some to resell at inflated prices, and some have become overly obsessive hoarders.

I saw plenty of 525-round boxes of 22lr along with plenty of the other popular flavors at my local WW over this past week; plenty for all too buy. Might be it’s because of the 2013 Fall Hunting Season starting up or who knows why? I don’t care why it’s here in my area all I know is I’m just ~happy happy happy~ to see a lavish supply finally arrive again!

Over the past 2-weeks I saw plenty of 50-round boxes of 22lr selling for $2.49 a box at a LGStore and I also still see $23. boxes of 525-round boxes of 22lr selling at LGShows for $75. on some tables. I just saw over this past weekend 20-round boxes of XM193 selling for $8.50 and up to $20. a box. And 30-round G3 P-mags selling for $10. up to $20. ech and 40-round P-mags selling for $20. up to $35. ech and Ruger BX-25 mags selling for $20. up to $55. ech. Shop around is all I can suggest.

what is causing this drought ?? why hasn’t the pre second week of Jan 2013’s ample supply returned.....YET ??? so when will it return.....AGAIN ???? I have no idea ?????

But if there hadn’t been a “per box limit @ ah time” put on purchasing power then all the gougers would still be in control of your corporate catchphrase perks.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Lucky for me, I repaired cars for 40 years. A lifetime supply of wheel weights is at my disposal. I have no reason to buy cast lead bullets, unless they are under 5 cents apiece. It is just as much fun to shoot "home cast" lead bullets as it is store bought, jacketed bullets.

Shooters have, slowly, been taxed to death on lead, powder and primers over the last few years. Most of our bullet lead now comes from overseas. EPA regulations have made it, all but, impossible to "Smelt" lead in the U.S. Imagine the taxes, surcharges, import fees and freight to get a shipment of lead into the U.S.

Lead shot, for shotgun shell reloading, was $9.00 for 25lbs. about 10 years ago. It now ranges $65.00 to $80.00 a bag plus shipping. Reclaimed shot is around $35.00 a bag.

Remember when the "Hazard" shipping fees came about, on powder, etc?

This has been coming for quite some time now. A ding here, a ding there.

Where is California on the AB 711 "lead bullet ban" Bill. Last thing that I heard it was on Jerry "I have no living sinus tissue left" Brown's desk.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I do not hoarde ammo but I buy what I plan on using. Right now I have enough .22LR to last me the rest of my life and not going to be looking to buy more.

I also have enough ammo in the calibers I shoot regularly to last me until next Spring.

That said, I still look at what is on the dealer's shelves. I am seeing a good supply in .40S&W and .45acp. What shocks me is that .40 cal is selling higher than .45acp. Yesterday I saw some .45acp Winchester selling for $21 for a box of 50 but the .40 in the same brand was $25. I have not seen any .38spl in a long time.

Ammo is beginning to be more available due to many reasons. The companies are working overtime to produce it, the customers are reaching a comfortable amount in their supply and there are fewer concerns about the government restrictions. Common sense is also allowing more ammo to be available.

Guns are also becoming more plentiful on the market.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I am not sure when it started but the local Wal*Mart stores have been having folks come in around 3:00 AM, grab one of the handicap buggies and park in front of the ammo cases. Waiting there until the ammo is stocked and then load their carts with ammo. Sometimes 2-3 of these idiots block the ammo isle preventing anyone from even looking. Finally the Berea (KY) Wal*Mart put a stop to it. All ammo sales begin at 7:30 AM and only one box per customer per day. Seems some of these folks were were un-boxing the ammo and selling like 25 rounds of .22lr [in the parking lot] for $0.25 cents per round. Obviously they were ran off.

I am certainly not a Wal*Mart fan but I commend their actions in this case. It is people like these that cause the problems we have now with ammo shortages.

The bad side of this for example is Cabelas. They are doing the same thing but here is caveat. CCI #0030 is available for $7.99 per 100 ct. Yet the customer can only buy one box per day. The shipping (to here) is $5.99. The shipping is nearly 90% of the cost of the ammo. On-line dealers need to understand the freight component before limiting ammo. A limit of 2 100 ct. boxes is fair and a limit of 3 would be more than fair. I did a calculation and the additional freight cost of 1 box compared to 3 boxes and the difference went from $5.99 to $6.87. That I can deal with. Rounding the number off, paying $6.00 freight on $8.00 worth of ammo is ridiculous.

My best..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I find more than an ample supply of 9mm, .380 ACP, .38 SPL, 30-30, .223/5.56, 12 gauge, .410 gauge and most any other caliber ammo on-line. And I often find free shipping so the cost/round remains equivalent or lower to what my local sources sell it for, IF they have it.

+1 on gunbot, ammoseek, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links