Ammunition Shortage

This is a discussion on Ammunition Shortage within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Firearms & even high capacity mag's seem to be available. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for certain calibers of ammo such as 9mm, .40 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ammunition Shortage

Ammunition Shortage

Firearms & even high capacity mag's seem to be available. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for certain calibers of ammo such as 9mm, .40 auto, .38, and especially .22. I have heard different rumors concerning the ammunition shortage such as the government is stockpiling all of it or gun control laws are limiting the production and stores just can't keep enough in stock due to high demand. Does anyone know for sure what the ammo shortage is all about?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

No, but I'm having the same problem. In my neck of the woods, Walmart, sporting goods stores, and LGS's are all out of .22, .380, 9mm and .40. I've found some on line and am considering buying some in bulk even though it's pricey.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Well, it only makes sense for the more popular calibers to be harder to come by. I don't know about everybody else, but I've went back to shooting almost exclusively .22 to conserve my stash and it's just cheaper for me to shoot.

Shipping costs may suck but there's still deals to be had online if you really look.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Heck, around here the ammo is finally starting to come back! You can get just about anything you want, although you might have to try a couple of times or at a couple of stores. Earlier in the year, there just wasn't any, period (for handguns or EBR's).
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I certainly don't but I do have a bone to pick with at least one ammo seller and they are one of the sponsors here.
    Further more I will NEVER BUY AMMO from these skin flints.
    They have 100R boxes of 22 for $8 each or what they call half cases for $85 each for 500R. them and the horse they rode in on.

Since the Feds and or the States are having lousy luck instituting further restrictions on our 2A right I see the unavailability of 22 and other calibers as a back door attack to keep us unarmed. Further more I would urge all here to build up their ammo supplies as much as fiscally prudent and stop shooting up all your ammo and then coming on here and whining about it.

I have other comments I could make if this were a R-Restricted site. As it is not I will stifle myself. I got mad here 2 days ago and got thwacked for my comments albeit moderately so.

Welcome to the Forums here AmmoFan01 and welcome to Amerika, land of the
    rcsoftexas likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    So far, the two calibers that I have had problems with are .38 Special (non +P) and .41 Magnum.
    tdave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    So far, the two calibers that I have had problems with are .38 Special (non +P) and .41 Magnum.
    Out here .38 special is scarcer than .22 lr and .22 lr is scarcer than honest politicians.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    I certainly don't but I do have a bone to pick with at least one ammo seller and they are one of the sponsors here.
    They have 100R boxes of 22 for $8 each or what they call half cases for $85 each for 500R. them and the horse they rode in on.

Since the Feds and or the States are having lousy luck instituting further restrictions on our 2A right I see the unavailability of 22 and other calibers as a back door attack to keep us unarmed. Further more I would urge all here to build up their ammo supplies as much as fiscally prudent and stop shooting up all your ammo and then coming on here and whining about it.

I have other comments I could make if this were a R-Restricted site. As it is not I will stifle myself. I got mad here 2 days ago and got thwacked for my comments albeit moderately so.

Everybody likes to talk about Free Markets until their in one!

Supply and Demand its that simple!

The demand has outweighed supply so in essence the price goes up. I'm sorry you can't afford it. Welcome to America!

OO But wait they are price gauging!!! NO they are taking advantage of a changing market, this is what a smart free business person does. These people make ammo not to be nice to you, but because they want to make MONEY!!! If you can't afford it, then go find something else to do!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My LGS has ample supply at reasonable price every caliber except .22. I suppose that will be available one those hoarders of questionable parental linage finally get their fill.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Everybody likes to talk about Free Markets until their in one!

Supply and Demand its that simple!

The Demand has outweighed supply so in essence the price goes up. I'm sorry you can't afford it. Welcome to America!
    Kind of hard to reconcile "Free Market" with artificially created demand and shortage. The threat of a legislatively created restriction on the market created the demand. Practices refined in the old Soviet Union are helping to create the shortage. One of the favorite products in the old Soviet Union was canned fish from East Germany. Clerks in stores would with hold this item and then either purchase the stock themselves or have a cohort purchase and sell it at a significant mark up. By removing the item from circulation they created the shortage they exploited.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

What gets me is that they apparently have plenty of .22 Lr in Canada. So much so that there have been busts at the border of people running 22 ammo into the states for a profit.

So, if its a true ammo shortage, why do the Canadians have plenty? Something aint right here.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post

Who are you referring to? PM me if you wouldn't mind.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The owner of the LGS belongs to our local gun club, I have no problem getting 9mm's and .22LR.

I have no idea what is causing this PITA ammo shortage but I've abandoned buying ammo and starting reloading. The reloading component shortage is not nearly as bad as the factory ammo shortage, I've been able to pick up my primers/powder @ Gander and lead bullets for cheap from Dardas and Unique Precision. It cost's me roughly $6 in components to load a box of 50 9mm bullets and I've put 600 rounds down range in 3 weeks so it makes sense to load my own.

If you have the free time and money to invest, reloading is a nice hobby to go along with shooting.
    StormRhydr and tdave like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links