Tactical Vests

Tactical Vests

This is a discussion on Tactical Vests within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all, Currently in the market for a good tactical vest that I can carry my g17 in with all the typical tactical vest perks. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tactical Vests

Tactical Vests

Hey all,

Currently in the market for a good tactical vest that I can carry my g17 in with all the typical tactical vest perks. Do any of you have any recommendations from experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I would think that a tactical vest for a glock would actually be a shoulder holster. However, if ya really wanna be tacti-cool, I would suggest getting an AR and 6 extra mags to go WITH your tactical vest. Blackhawk makes some good ones.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Got an AR as well. Interesting thought though using a shoulder holster for glock and tactical vest for mags and preferably knife attachment on it.

Is that what living in Miami has come to?... you need a tactical vest to survive?

Or are you working as a policeman or a security man? There are several large police supply houses in Moami. The best I know is in Hialea. Cant remember the name right now. Do you need the vest to identify you? Some say POLICE, or SECURITY on the back... I've even sen one that says ARMED CITIZEN. I think I need one that says ... INNOCENT BYSTANDER.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    A tactical vest is going to be a little bit warm when its 90 F and 95% humidity. IMHO, the 5.11 gear (especially vests) will attract UNWANTED attention from both the good guys and the reprobates. I try to blend into my environment and dress accordingly. This has worked well for me over the years including stints overseas. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A tactical vest with all the tactical accessories tactically worn in this S. FL heat will be a tactically poor tactical decision for anyone wanting to look tactical.

There, I hope that fills the need to use the word "tactical."
    sammage, mkh, FLGuy and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In all fairness, while I don't have a tac-vest, I have thought lately how convenient it would be at the range.

If you are running an AR or AK and are working on mag changes, where do you keep your spare mags? Working on mag changes, or just reloading to be able to shoot sooner seems more practical with a chest rig than walking back to the table at the range, picking up a mag, depositing your spent mag, and walking back to where you were shooting from...

I do think if other people were at the range I would feel like a mall ninja, but it does seem more convenient than the alternative, especially if you are doing IDPA-style shooting with your AR or AK.

Again, I don't have a tac-vest, but I can see where one could come in handy at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A tactical vest with all the tactical accessories tactically worn in this S. FL heat will be a tactically poor tactical decision for anyone wanting to look tactical.

There, I hope that fills the need to use the word "tactical."
    I think your assumption is tactically correct sir.
    Hopyard likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    In all fairness, while I don't have a tac-vest, I have thought lately how convenient it would be at the range.

If you are running an AR or AK and are working on mag changes, where do you keep your spare mags? Working on mag changes, or just reloading to be able to shoot sooner seems more practical with a chest rig than walking back to the table at the range, picking up a mag, depositing your spent mag, and walking back to where you were shooting from...

I do think if other people were at the range I would feel like a mall ninja, but it does seem more convenient than the alternative, especially if you are doing IDPA-style shooting with your AR or AK.

Again, I don't have a tac-vest, but I can see where one could come in handy at the range.

Why not just use a mag carrier or two? You can add quite a few to your belt and it's overall much less cumbersome than a bulky vest with all that crap hanging off of it.

Rifle Mag Carriers | KYTEX Shooting Gear

I've taken combat rifle classes and I've never needed more than a couple of mag carriers for pistol and rifle. Since most reputable civilian training is going to primarily focus on civilian types of encounters, I can't imagine needed more than 90 rounds of rifle ammunition (I actually can't imagine needed even close to that, but you gotta do some practice for mag failures).

FWIW, there's always at least one guy, sometimes a handful of them, who shows up for a carbine class loaded down with the tac vest filled to max capacity. They look like they're ready for a day of combat against a horde of Taliban; in reality, almost every one of them spends more time fumbling around with the vest as it gets tangled up with their rifle strap or end up taking it off when the realize that they are overburdened for the practical limits that the training encompases. I have never seen a normal guy run with a tac vest and end up giving me any reason to consider one.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Moderator
    L.A. Police Gear has "tactical vests".

As does "Galls" a police supplier.

Not all tactical vests are created equal. Here you get what you pay for. Yes, you can buy them for 50-60 bucks, but they will come from China and they might look good for a week or so but with hard use they will come apart.

Personally, after seeing several brands not hold up like they should, I would go with Blackhawk. They are more expensive but well worth it. The last thing you want to do is rip open a pocket when it catches on something and dump mags on the floor.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Is it possible the O/P is more looking for a CCW vest?
    Hopyard likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Come on people. Keep it on topic.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've heard second-hand that Tactical Tailor makes good stuff.

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Administrator
    Give the member the benefit of the doubt.
    We do not know exactly what he wants the vest for.

He may want it for tromping through heavily wooded areas & brush in another State and may just want a vest that is compatible with MOLLE holsters and various magazine and accessory pouches in order in order to keep his firearm etc. all in front rather than hanging on the sides where everything would get caught up in thick underbrush.

We just don't know.

Let's not paint the member as some sort of a Mall Ninja just because he is new and asked a very polite question in a respectful and appreciative manner.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

First and foremost, not sure why people get off painting some imaginary scenario in their head thinking I was trying to be a "mall ninja" or merely trying to look "tactical" makes no sense to me why people like to make their own assumptions and go on mini rants without asking basic questions but that is neither here nor there.

If the question was asked as to what is the purpose or reasoning behind me wanting to get a "tactical vest" I would have simply answered. Thank you to those who did ask and thank you to those who brought up mall ninja gave me a good laugh.

There are a few different reasons why I asked the question. The first being and I am in no way experienced when I ask this, planning a hunting trip with my father and wanted to see convenience factor of having a vest vs. using mag carriers. Thus the reason for having a vest has nothing to do with identifying myself as anything because that is furthest from reality. Additionally, in several training courses I have seen people with vests and wanted to get you all feedback from your own experience. The last part is almost the opposite of the first two such that I was curious how the cc aspect of some vest truly uphold in every day situations ie: comfort, conceal ability etc.

Thank you to those who actually took the time to seriously answer rather than jump to ridiculous conclusions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links