Laws and Capacity

This is a discussion on Laws and Capacity within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have searched for information on this for Maryland but it may apply to any state . The new guns laws in Maryland have changed ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By patri0t
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Laws and Capacity

VIP Member

Laws and Capacity

I have searched for information on this for Maryland but it may apply to any state .

The new guns laws in Maryland have changed on Mag. capacity to 10 rounds to buy or sell .
    I know other states have a CC limits on what you can have in a mag .

The LGS have told me on my many purchases this year that as long as i purchased them before the law . I can use any capcity 17 + 1 or so for CC in Maryland .
    Now they also say Maryland citizens can purchase them out of state and bring them in just that the LGS here will not be able to sell them ( that is a different issue ).

My main question is can i carry more then 10 rounds in my mag.
    My understanding is that it does not matter how many rounds in the mag in Maryland ( 17 +1 largest mag i have )

So i also see the LGS are the people that lose the revenue from this product line
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

2. Remove Ads

Got links to the statutes in question? I'm betting they are fairly specific, as to whether the 10rd limit applies across the board, or whether the 10rd limit allows "grandfathered-in" (older) magazines from before the ban.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I haven't seen anything specific to magazine capacity for legal carry in the new law. I'm sure it's one of the many things that were overlooked when this piece of crap law was put together.

Check out MDShooters.com and ask over there, they have some pretty sharp pencils on that board....

The Handgunlaw.us entry for Maryland has been updated to reference the Oct 1 change in statutes for the magazine restrictions.

Higher Capacity Magazines:

(These new Restrictions on Firearms and Mags becomes effect October 1, 2013. The Bill can be seen Here. )

4–301.(II)
    a semiautomatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds;

(IV)
    a semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds;

(F)
    “detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from a firearm without requiring disassembly of the firearm action or without the use of a tool, including a bullet or cartridge.

4–305. (a)
    This section does not apply to:
    (1)
    a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine;

(b)
    A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than
    10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Got links to the statutes in question? I'm betting they are fairly specific, as to whether the 10rd limit applies across the board, or whether the 10rd limit allows "grandfathered-in" (older) magazines from before the ban.
    CCW I know you are trying to help but you haven't lived through Maryland politics. One would think that there would be specific language regarding this but the politicians in this state right laws willy nilly and at the drop of a hat.

The current law, SB281 outlaws for sale 45 different "assault rifles", AKA scary black guns, but limits it to calibers, .223/5.56, 7.62 x 39, etc... all illegal, but an AR10 in .308 (perceived as a hunting cartridge) is still legal AND cash and carry, not even a "regulated" weapon by MD standards and not subject to a 7 day wait like a .22LR pistol. Makes perfect sense, no?

VIP Member
    CCW9MM , I have been through them pages at least a hundred times trying to implant the info. in my brain . Just nothing real specific on the matter. Every person i have asked said it only has to do with purchase and not CC .

But if i find myself being confronted on this i want to see it in black and white .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    CCW9MM , I have been through them pages at least a hundred times trying to implant the info. in my brain . Just nothing real specific on the matter. Every person i have asked said it only has to do with purchase and not CC .

But if i find myself being confronted on this i want to see it in black and white .
    Until you know for sure I would stick to carrying something with a 10 rd magazine. With several other 10 rd magazines separately as well. Unless you want to be the guinea pig that takes this new law all the way to SCOTUS......

Many new laws are vague and undefined until a judge rules on them, or the State's AG issues an opinion.
    I never enforced a law I couldn't understand.

As I state so often, do not attempt to interpret written legislation. That is the job of your State's Attorney General.
    Check out the AG's website and email any questions you may have.... in this case, the words "POSSES and "OWN" seem to be conspicuously missing.

If I wrote like these 'Legislators', I would never have passed the 5th grade. (When I went to school, they actually used to 'FLUNK the STUPID kids)
    These days, they make them President of all 57 States.
    welder516 likes this.

VIP Member
    One big problem the AG here is ANTI A2 . I do not want to be the test dummy for this but i will keep asking and digging for the answer.

And you know there is 56 states and the Distrct of Columbia
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

I have a "Rule of Thumb" when it comes to magazine limits. My rule is neither my thumb nor the rest of me will live in, visit, or even get close to any draconian place that tells me how much ammo I can carry.

The only time I can conceivably be carrying too much ammo is when I fall in water over my head.
    welder516 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Links