Would you buy it?

Would you buy it?

This is a discussion on Would you buy it? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A person I have dealt with often over the years but not a gun owner called me tonight. His daughter is in an abusive relationship. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Would you buy it?

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

Would you buy it?

A person I have dealt with often over the years but not a gun owner called me tonight. His daughter is in an abusive relationship. The son in law is currently in jail facing five felony counts. He had purchased a Baretta PX4 in 40 caliber five months ago. The gun has never been fired and still in the original box. The new cost was just short of $600.

The daughter has minor children iand does not want a gun in the home. Hecalled asking if I would be interested in buying it. Well....I am. I can get it for $400 from the daughter.

However, it is not her that bought the gun. How the guy bought the gun from a dealer is unknown since he has a string of arrests and convictions dating back 10 years and a couple of those are felonies. He also has three convictions for domestic violence.

The daughter would not have, in my opinion, the right to sell the gun. The guy does not hae the right to own a gun. Yet he is locked up and will not be getting out any time soon.

It may be a gun I will end up passing on even though I can save $200 on an unfired gun.

I would like the thoughts of the pro gun people here.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I would run away from the deal as fast as I could..... If he is a convicted felon, that gun is evidence in a possible felony case... which means the feds will coma and take the gun, and you are out whatever you paid for it. My guess is that it was not bought from a dealer, unless their is a signed reciept to prove it. On top of that, neither her nor her father have the right to sell the gun as it is not their property, regardless of the persons legal right to own it. That will only bring trouble down the road. The deal over all is not on the up and up given the circumstances,which means you dont want any part of it. If i were you, i would tell your friend to contact the law enforcement authorities involved, tell them he is in possession of an illegally owned firearm, have them come and get it and be done with it.... everyone comes out clean, and the dirt bag gets a few more years added on too.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Taurahe nailed it.

As a retired State Trooper, I would stay away from it, even if it was free. Period. End of Sentence.

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    If it was me holding the gun and knowing about his past,i think i would want that gun out of my house and asap.

Nope.

Would i buy a firearm from someone who was a convicted felon? Not a snowball's chance in you know where.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    The sales receipt shows the gun came from Bass Pro and shows it was sold to the guy that has a real track record of convictions and jail time for felonies. It was purchased by him and I would assume approved by the feds.

I would like to have the gun but there are too many issues in this deal to make me feel comfortable in buying it.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    The sales receipt shows the gun came from Bass Pro and shows it was sold to the guy that has a real track record of convictions and jail time for felonies. It was purchased by him and I would assume approved by the feds.

I would like to have the gun but there are too many issues in this deal to make me feel comfortable in buying it.
    I doubt it. May have had a lot of arrests but no convictions. If he were a convicted felon he would not pass the NICS check. Something smells like fish here.

Not worth it. The possible headaches far outweigh the savings on an unfired gun.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I am going to echo the others, as good of a deal as it may be I would stay far away from it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I know in this state she could sell it. But I would stay away from it no madder the deal just not worth getting involved in something like that.

Bad situation all around. I am sure she could use the cash. but I have to agree with the consensus here RUN do not walk away, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

Well, if it was legally sold, couldn't it be legally bought? Even if so, I'd stay away from it. The guy could come home and I wouldn't want him upset with me and trying to "recover" his gun... This good deal wouldn't be worth the headache that could come along with the money saved, IMO.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I would run away from the deal as fast as I could..... If he is a convicted felon, that gun is evidence in a possible felony case... which means the feds will come and take the gun, and you are out whatever you paid for it. My guess is that it was not bought from a dealer, unless there is a signed receipt to prove it. On top of that, neither her nor her father have the right to sell the gun as it is not their property, regardless of the persons legal right to own it. That will only bring trouble down the road. The deal over all is not on the up and up given the circumstances,which means you don't want any part of it. If I were you, I would tell your friend to contact the law enforcement authorities involved, tell them he is in possession of an illegally owned firearm, have them come and get it and be done with it.... everyone comes out clean, and the dirt bag gets a few more years added on too.
    As much as I like bargains, and I especially like the PX4, I have to agree with Taurahe. Reporting this purchase to the authorities is the right thing to do, and will also keep all the truly uninvolved parties out of prison. I would suggest, however, that you contact the BATFE rather than the local constabulary, since this appears to be a Federal violation.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    At least here in CA Whats hers is his , I dont think that it would be illegal for her to sell it. Now the flip side of that is when the jerk gets out of jail she is going to have to tell him she sold it. DR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links