Shooting fish

Shooting fish

This is a discussion on Shooting fish within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What are the ocean laws regarding fish & shooting? I was wondering when my niece and I saw the shark flopping in the edge if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Shooting fish

Distinguished Member

Shooting fish

What are the ocean laws regarding fish & shooting? I was wondering when my niece and I saw the shark flopping in the edge if I had my gun with me if it were legal for me to shoot the shark since it was up where the children were swimming? Then I started wondering if I went in shallow water and saw a nice size fish I wanted to eat, can I shoot it and then net it?

The question: What are the laws on the ocean about shooting fish?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Havent heard of a worse idea in a while, bullets do weird things when they hit water, just saying

. ... Still not quite sure if this post is serious.. ...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say no, this wouldn't be okay.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not sure. Bow fishing is legal in many states. However, arrows don't usually ricochet off of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

IIRC, hitting the water at high speeds isn't much different than hitting concrete.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Hitting the water is one thing , shooting a hole in your boat or gas tank is another . You better have your Dingy ready .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member
    At one meter a 9mm bullet would not be lethal. Bending light in water makes the image appear in one place and actually be in another place. Unless the round is entering the water at a perfect 90 degree angle the deflection of the round makes hitting what you are shooting at very difficult. If you are in a boat you would be held to the same laws as the coastal area you are boating in unless you are far enough off shore to fall into international waters.

Please make sure the video camera is operating when you embark on this fishing expedition.

May I suggest pneumatic spear gun. Mares Pure Instinct|Pneumatic Spear Guns|Cyrano

You can only shoot fish in a barrel.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

How about you leave the fish alone and stick to shooting paper ;)
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Some commercial sport fisherman I know of keep long guns on board for "dissuading" sharks from attacking sport fish that are being reeled in, but this typically happens well off shore. The fish have to be right at the surface of the water for the bullet to be effective, though.
    gatorbait51 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    OK, no reason to be snarky. Sister is good people.

Sis, I'd say you do not want to be doing this except in an extreme situation, say the shark had hold of someone and was sort of out of the water enough for a clean shot. Otherwise you never know if the fish you were shooting at weren't a protected species. As some have said same rules as shooting on land, so no not legal, and not safe.

Yeah I have to go with bad idea.... When fired at water, the bullets acts like it is hitting concrete, losing all velocity and power very quickly. also, water makes bullets do some very weird things...... I shot at a frog with a pellet rifle in my younger days, and the pellet hit me in the chest. It stung like hell, and taught me a very valuable lesson. If that had been a more powerful bullet , it may have killed me. Bullets can go any direction when they hit water. Besides, the oceans are polluted enough, why add more lead to the water.

Now, if you can figure a way humane way to shoot fish from a gun, I am all ears. Something about being salmoned at high velocity makes me laugh.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

VIP Member
    Sharks? You want to kill sharks? Sister, dear friend of mine, spare the sharks. I know she is good people so I won't rant but, but, sharks are our friends.
    ON a more practical note many species are protected as we have killed millions more than can reproduce. Tough time to be a shark in todays world.

On another note I once heard (warning, this is kind of like internet statistics, believe at your own risk) that bullets can ricochet of water in nearly any direction.

One final note. And I'm not going to confess to anything illegal but perhaps as a kid I did this and it was kinda fun. Not my proudest memory but....
    Sister likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

OK, is it legal, and is it a good idea, are two different things. While there may be no prohibitions (darned if I know if there are, or are not on salt water fish), if children were around, its probably a bad idea, at the very least. If you had a mishap, you could end up getting sued, even were it to be legal.

Now, saying all of that, I bet its just possible, that a number of people here have had to try their hands at shooting at fish in the creek, at some point in their lives. You dont shoot to hit them, but rather to stun them....uh, so I hear. That is ILLEGAL, in TN, at least, lol.
    Sister likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links