Hunting with a tac vest?

This is a discussion on Hunting with a tac vest? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone here hunt with a tac vest of some sort? I always found it cumbersome to throw all of my hunting stuff in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Hunting with a tac vest?

Hunting with a tac vest?

Does anyone here hunt with a tac vest of some sort? I always found it cumbersome to throw all of my hunting stuff in a couple pockets of my jacket.

If you do what's on it? Where is it? Anything on your back?

-Jason
    Secret Spuk likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Nope... for bird hunting I always used a conventional LLBean-type vest with game pocket. For deer hunting (in CT) I used my insulated camo coat with beaucoup pockets and a blaze orange vest and hat. If I was still hunting (i.e., not in the tree stand), I carried my whole kit in a smallish back pack. My arms were free to get the gun up quickly, and my coat wasn't overloaded.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There are numerous standard vests out there for hunting everything from birds to 4 legged critters.how much ammo do you need,any essentials like food emergency kit etc can be tossed in a back pack
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well I didn't want anything in a backpack in case I wanted to sit against a tree or something. Does stuff jammed in a pack make a lot of noise bouncing around? I am thinking of the blackhawk strike system to carry shells when not using an ar, a small med pouch, a very small survival kit pouch, flashlight pouch, pistol mag pouch and possibly a small food pouch.

-Jason

Lead Moderator
    Nope, no need for lots of spare ammo. I use a small assault pack to store snacks, binos, ammo, water , first aid kit , drag line , ect.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Nope, no need for lots of spare ammo. I use a small assault pack to store snacks, binos, ammo, water , first aid kit , drag line , ect.
    In Virginia there is no magazine restriction on centerfire rifles, my deer gun is usually a M1A with a 20 round mag and two spares. This year its probably going to be a 300 BLK with two spare mags. The need for ammo is not for the deer, its to ensure that I make it safely back to my car. There is no pucker factor like coming up on a poaching camp in the middle of the National Forest with a 5 shot bolt gun, and only a few extra rounds, or coming walking on a still or a drug operation in the middle of a national forest land.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

No as re a tac vest. No re anything on my back (most times).

Cabelas does make some very handy hunting vests. They carry a bunch of stuff. I have them in blaze camo, and one of my favorites is their archery model.

Then again, I use a bolt action rifle for deer hunting. Or a bow, lol.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Other than a common hunting vest for birds/rabbits, I always used a simple backpack for hunting. Easy on/off, makes a decent pillow for that mid-afternoon nap, will hold everything needed for a day hunt. Now if the deer were armed and roving in vicious packs, a tactical vest may be more appropriate.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    I use a FN-FAL for deer hunting with a DSA 5 round mag. I wear a regular hunting vest or a Hunting parka with lots of pockets. If I am stalking I wear a small backpack. If I need to rest our I want to still hunt then I just take off the backpack.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    If I saw another hunter in the woods with a tac vest on I would walk (quickly) the other way.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I'm not getting the warm fuzzy reception that I was hoping for. I'm not going to use this for a 100 lb load out. I want it keep things organized and more importantly on the front side of me. Slim and trim. It will more than likely be under orange of some sort.

-Jason
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Primos makes an orange vest with a ton of pockets. I just got one and it's super handy. Whatever you want to hunt, someone out there makes a vest for it. But if you simply want a tactical vest and are using hunting to justify the purchase, you don't need us for that. Just get what you want and enjoy.
    Jab73180 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab73180 View Post
    I'm not getting the warm fuzzy reception that I was hoping for. I'm not going to use this for a 100 lb load out. I want it keep things organized and more importantly on the front side of me. Slim and trim. It will more than likely be under orange of some sort.

-Jason
    Unfortunately what you're asking for just isn't something that the majority of us that hunt use. A tac vest isn't really a great hunting option and, quite honestly, I just don't see much need for it. They are bulky and probably more prone to snagging up on stuff then a backpack would be, and, at least for me personally, I don't really want to carry any more stuff than I actually need. Stuff=noise.

For the purposes you are describing, I'd look at a waist pack. You can pick up a pretty cheap one a Walmart that has a lot of pocket organization. I use a waist pack when I need to bring some extra stuff that I normally don't carry (like my rangefinder, maybe some different ammo, a snack if I'm going to be out an extended period of time). One of the nice things I've found with carrying stuff in a waist pack is if you are doing a lot of moving through brush, you can easily spin the pack into the optimal position to not snag, or snag the least amount, on branches and stuff.

If you are just really wanting to use a tac vest, then just buy one and see... Maybe it'll work out for you. I know I wouldn't want one for the sort of hunting and scouting I do, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Jab73180 View Post

-Jason
    I don't wear a vest but I carry a HSGI Taco Mag with a spare rifle mag, and have another spare magazine in my camelpac backpack. My problem is I'm usually up in a tree and I"m wearing a HSS Harness. The one I have, has a vest built into it. I guess I don't understand why you need so many pockets. I have my camelpack, that has two pockets on the outside, plus about 10 extra pockets to put things in if I really need them. I wear a Head lamp, and also keep a Surefire flashlight lanyard to my wrist. I try to go as light as possible because I also have to carry my summit self climber tree stand.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I think that the reasons that you are not getting the responses you wanted, is that most of us probably divorce the subject areas. Ie deer hunting, and scary black rifles.

In the scary black rifle department, Im an AR guy, and pretty well up on them. In the deer hunting department, Im a bolt action rifle guy, and take pride in one shot kills.

I have taken deer with muzzleloaders, modern rifle & shotgun, the vast majority of which never took a step after I fired. Heck, I would "treat" myself to one new box of deer hunting shells every other year, regardless of whether I needed them or not.

So the idea of carrying as much ammo as you are talking about deer hunting, boggles my mind.
    Jaeger and Secret Spuk like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links