Looking for 1911 advice from the brain trust...

This is a discussion on Looking for 1911 advice from the brain trust... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I've pretty much made up my mind that my next purchase is going to be a 1911. Now, I've got to choose which one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Looking for 1911 advice from the brain trust...

Well, I've pretty much made up my mind that my next purchase is going to be a 1911. Now, I've got to choose which one I want. This will be a range gun, and probably not one that I'll carry concealed much/at all. I'd really like to keep the tab under $1K. There are just SO MANY 1911 makers to choose from. What would your recommendations be, and why? I'm kinda thinking along the lines of a Para Elite. Thanks!

VIP Member
    My preference would be any Colt or one of the offerings from Springfield armory. But there are many other offerings from a multitude of manufacturers.

Colt Pistols

Springfield Armory
    patri0t likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Love my Ruger SR1911 5". At $700, it left money for ammo.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk now Free
    msgt/ret likes this.

I don't believe in range guns, if I own it, I should be able to carry it. If I carry it my life may depend on it so I carry either an Ed Brown Special Forces or a Wilson Professional. Now that my wrists are getting bad enough that even a .45 is starting to hurt I've dropped down to a M&P 9. I only have about 450 rounds through it this week but I seem to be shooting it better than my .45's. Growing old really sucks - BUT it beats the alternative.

I'm far from a guru, but I'd be leaning towards an RIA with the extra cash spent on ammo to acquaint myself with it. I am however a bit biased since I own one and it's been excellent for me.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have to agree with Colts or the best clone probably being a Springfield.

For a carry, I use a Colt Defender .45 that is built around the 3 inch bbl. Other short barreled models are 'chops' and develop problems sooner.
    Personally, I have been shooting Colts for 4 decades and they are best, for me. For the range, I would use a 5 inch barrel.

For most, a Kodak (point & shoot) type sidearm is best as it takes years of practice to get the muscle memory to operate a safety or any other additional step, especially if you are under extreme life/death stress. However, for an off-duty sidearm, I have always been comfortable with 5 very good rounds Duty-Grade +P ammo.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    My EDC is a KIMBER desert warrior, but the ruger sr1911 will hold it's own to my kimbers .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjhmachine View Post
    Love my Ruger SR1911 5". At $700, it left money for ammo.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk now Free
    Didn’t even think of the Rugers and I have both models great guns and at under the OPs $1,000 limit will leave enough for practice ammo.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I bought a Kimber Pro Carry II used for under a thousand dollars and I really like it. See avatar. And I do carry it sometimes.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I bought my Remington R1 1911 for around $625 or so. I like it, no complaints...but I just feel... unsure. I think I would rather have gotten a Ruger (maybe) or saved up for a Colt/Springfield.

Again...nothing wrong with it... Fit and finish is great. (For the price point.) Just something makes me with I got something better.

I have an S&W E-Series. Cost me between 8-9 Hun. And the E doesn't stand for economy. It is a fine, fine weapon.
    Attached Images
    SSNvet likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I have 1911s from several manufacturers. Some have pluses. Some have minuses. If I had to choose 1, it would be a plain Jane, no nonsense Colt.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Sorry, Last pics looked blurry.
    Attached Images
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    My Springfield Mil-Spec runs like a clock and cost about $600. I strongly recommend it, although if you want a beavertail maybe look at some of their other variants.
    Last edited by brocktice; October 11th, 2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: added beavertail note

Colt Gold Cups are running $1200 new. They hold their value and make good heirloom guns.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links