HD pistols: light, laser, both or nothing?

This is a discussion on HD pistols: light, laser, both or nothing? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Curious to find out how folks prefer to equip their home defense pistols. Light, laser, both or "nekkid"?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: HD pistols: light, laser, both or nothing?

HD pistols: light, laser, both or nothing?

Curious to find out how folks prefer to equip their home defense pistols. Light, laser, both or "nekkid"?

2. Remove Ads

Our carry guns go on the nightstands when we go to bed. No lights, no lasers, just night sights. I prefer separate flashlights with one on each nightstand and one or more in each room. People under stress tend to look for the laser dot rather than the front sight.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

My pistols are bare but are always paired with a quality flashlight. My AR and shotgun on the other hand, both have stream lights attached as it can be difficult to hold a flashlight while operating a rifle/pump.

Semper Paratus et Armare
    maxwell97 likes this.
    Student of the Gun; a beginner once, a student for life.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    Curious to find out how folks prefer to equip their home defense pistols. Light, laser, both or "nekkid"?
    I have tritium sights and a tac light with strobe on my bedside handgun. The light is really all I need, as it makes the iron sights silouete perfectly in the dark while the strobe is disorienting to anyone on the wrong side of it.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

depends.... my 1911 is naked, and my ruger wears night sights. either way I have a 200 lumen flashlight that rides shotgun at all times
    ĒGod grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.Ē
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have a Crimson Trace on the LCP since it doesn't have any sights to speak of but that's a BUG. Nightstand XD .45 has a light no holster. M&P 9 has a light, holster coming so it's naked right now.

Put me in the light/laser category for my dedicated HD pistol.

Firm believer in using either a mounted or hand held light for target ID, shoot much better with mounted light, it's great for opening doors, using the phone etc. besides thereís no way to leave it behind. Laser helps for if/when I leave my glasses on the nightstand (like thatís never happened before).

Went with a 9mm because itís a tool my wife may have to employ, and try as I might I canít get her to practice with a .45.

Chuck

homo homini lupus est

Lightbulb Light and Laser on Firearm, Plus Separate Flashlight

Streamlight TLR-2 light plus laser on a G30SF.

I want a light because it will be very dark when the home invaders crash into my house. I must be able to positively identify my target(s).

I want a laser because I will be in too big a hurry to find and put on my glasses. I can see pretty well without my glasses but a laser makes sighting in the dark fast and trivially easy; far faster than trying to line up and focus on my Glock's green glowing night sights.

Murphy's Law says that the batteries in my TLR-2 will fail at the worst possible moment, so I have glowing night sights as a 100% reliable back-up sighting system.

Light and laser on my HD shotgun for all those same reasons. I am sure you get the idea.

I have a separate high-lumen flashlight with both, as I don't want to have to point a gun at someone to illuminate them.
    Last edited by marcclarke; October 12th, 2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Fix typos.

VIP Member
    For a carry gun, I prefer a hand held light. I like to keep the ol' Batbelt as light as possible and I use a flashlight several times a day anyway.

For a dedicated HD gun though, a WML makes perfect sense to me.

I haven't found much use for lasers yet.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    My HD gun (XD40 4") stored in a FAS1 SAFE which has a holster built in. It has night sights, and a light. I also have a handlight on the nightstand.

The hot spot of the light at SD ranges will place rounds in center mass (tested at indoor range at 5 and 7 yards). If I don't choose to use the light, I use the night sights.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

My bedside pistol has a TLR1 attached. I prefer having one hand free to dial the phone and/or reload if needed.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

CT's on both my wife's and my nite stand handguns. Light that has both flashlight and laser dot (at same time) capability on the tactical 12 gauge. The AR is getting a light, just haven't decided which one.

Very interesting and varied responses. I'm contemplating some accessories for my HD rig and I appreciate all the ideas so far!

I have a TLR-3 on my G17 which I use for home defense. Went with the TLR-3 because its also my CC weapon and wanted a smaller light. No lasers for me. Never tried them...maybe I should.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    my HD gun has a light,I hate lazers personally but my cats love em

g23.jpg
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links