Visa subsidiary cuts ties with North Carolina gun shop because it ‘sells guns’

Visa subsidiary cuts ties with North Carolina gun shop because it ‘sells guns’

This is a discussion on Visa subsidiary cuts ties with North Carolina gun shop because it ‘sells guns’ within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just caught this today. I hope this is an anomaly; its hard to buy a weapon online without using some type of card -- debit ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By NECCdude
  • 3 Post By msgt/ret
  • 4 Post By usmcj
  • 1 Post By CDW4ME
  • 1 Post By attrapereves
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Visa subsidiary cuts ties with North Carolina gun shop because it ‘sells guns’

Distinguished Member

Thumbs down Visa subsidiary cuts ties with North Carolina gun shop because it ‘sells guns’

Just caught this today. I hope this is an anomaly; its hard to buy a weapon online without using some type of card -- debit or credit.

Visa subsidiary cuts ties with North Carolina gun shop because it 'sells guns'

VIP Member
    Thee was a thread a couple weeks or so ago about this - might have been this gun shop or a different one, but it is getting harder for gun dealers to find credit card clearing houses that they can use and which will not charge an arm and a leg to process their transactions.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I'll just go visit a gun store and pay cash. I don't really need credit cards - they are just a convenience. I prefer to stay out of debt anyway.
    msgt/ret and PakWaan like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I'll just go visit a gun store and pay cash. I don't really need credit cards - they are just a convenience. I prefer to stay out of debt anyway.
    Same here, I keep a bank bag in the truck with my gun show/coin show money. Depending on recent purchases or how long between purchases there maybe $500 to $2000 in the bag. Besides you don’t have to pay interest on cash and our Benevolent Masters cannot track it like credit/debit cards.
    PakWaan, Aceoky and NECCdude like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That's great if you're within driving distance of a well stocked gunstore that sells what you want. That's almost never the case where I live. I think I've bought three guns locally in the last 15 years. Bud's is my go to place for guns nowadays. I guess they will take a check by internet but it's not as handy as using a CC; a bank check takes over a week for them to clear.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Like many other things, credit cards are great if used responsibly. I use them all the time, and I've never had a balance carry over to incur an interest charge. Staying out of debt isn't a function of simply using the credit card, but it IS a function of how a person uses that card. Since that article came out, I've bought several guns with a VISA card, and had no issues at all. The problem is not with who issued the card, rather who processes the transaction/s.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I have a Cabelas Visa; Cabelas sells guns & ammo.
    atctimmy likes this.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I've never paid interest on a credit card. They are great when used responsibly. I pay mine off every month. Credit card companies actually ended up paying ME to use the cards. I often rack up $20-35 per month in rewards.

I hate using cash because it's difficult to keep track of what has been spent and where.
    geneticgamer likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's called "receipts."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A little OT but I'm recalling that song (don't remember the title or who sings it) from the TV series Miami Vice where the lyrics are saying that you always carry guns because you always carry cash.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's called "receipts."
    I've tried keeping receipts and using cash. I hated it. It's much easier keeping credit card statements.

I had these problems with cash: How much cash do I take out of each check? How much do I need to leave in the checking account to pay bills? What happens when something comes out to $4 and I only have three $1 bills, and a $20? Now I'm left with a bunch of $1s. What do I do with all of these stupid pennies?

The only cash I ever use anymore is for things less than $2. It feels weird using a card for such a small purchase. It's obvious that cash is on the way out because most vending machines, parking meters, and even payphones in Europe now accept cards. Checks have been on the way out since the advent of cards. The only thing keeping them alive is old people and some companies charging a fee for using a card.

I'll agree that cash does have its place though. I ALWAYS take cash on a trip because you never know when you might stop somewhere that does not accept cards.

The only time I use cash these days is to pay the entrance fee at the local IDPA match.

Paypal has had this kind of ban on firearms and related equipment for years. The local gun stores here change 3% when using a credit card, but no extra charge for a debit card.

Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

A little OT but I'm recalling that song (don't remember the title or who sings it) from the TV series Miami Vice where the lyrics are saying that you always carry guns because you always carry cash.
    "Smuggler's Blues" - Glen Frey.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links