Recommendations for a good .22 pistol

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a good .22 pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings all. It's been a while since I've posted, but I've always found good and valuable information here. My latest quest is for a good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Recommendations for a good .22 pistol

Greetings all. It's been a while since I've posted, but I've always found good and valuable information here. My latest quest is for a good .22LR pistol for my wife. Finally got her out to the range while we were on vacation where she fired my Glock 19 and my Ruger MK III target .22 pistol. She preferred the recoil of the Ruger, but the size was a bit cumbersome. I've done a little bit of research into .22's, but have not shopped for one in a long time. I like the look and size of the Walther P22, and recently discovered that Walther now makes a PPK/S chambered in .22LR, which peaked my interest. I'm thinking of going with the PPK/S, since I already own a PPK in .380, and I thought if she was comfortable with the size of the PPK/S, she could eventually graduate into the PPK and possibly use that as her carry weapon. As always, any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Aircraft Maintenance, C-130 H2, USAFR

H&K USPc .40, Colt Combat Elite Mark IV .45, Colt 1911 .45, Glock 30SF .45, Glock 19 (Gen 2) 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Ruger MKIII Competition .22LR
    All leather beautifully crafted by Alessi

2. Remove Ads

It sounds like you have a good plan.

You'll catch a lot of flack about her carrying a .22, but if that's all she is comfortable with for now, it's the best choice. I'd try to get her 'graduated' to the .380 ASAP. The PPK's in .22 & .380 are fine guns, and make a nice little pair!
    jlis914 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Get the LCR .22 mag. The .22 mag is nothing to shake a stick at. In the hands of a determined shooter it'll mess a person up.

Carrying a .22 is better than carrying nothing. With practice in shot placement a .22 can still be deadly. As you have guessed the Ruger, Walther, and Smith M&P22 tend to be the most popular/reliable. I have the M&P22 to compliment my 15-22 rifle so every so often I have a .22lr day at the range. If you feed it quality high velocity ammo (I recommend CCI Mini Mags) you can get the reliability up close to those of the center fire cartridges. (It is a very dirty ammo so regular cleaning also is more important than it may be with other hand guns)

I like the Ruger SR22. I have a Walther P22, but am not a fan of the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    jlis914 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    It sounds like you have a good plan.

You'll catch a lot of flack about her carrying a .22, but if that's all she is comfortable with for now, it's the best choice. I'd try to get her 'graduated' to the .380 ASAP. The PPK's in .22 & .380 are fine guns, and make a nice little pair!
    Yes. I agree. .380 at the minimum. Better than nothing though. Good for her for getting accustomed to carrying.

Kel-Tec PM30... 30 rounds of 22mag. Good luck finding one though.

In all seriousness, if going the auto route, the only one I have personal experience with and could feel right about recommending (besides the MKIII) is the Ruger SR22.

If revolver isn't out of the question, it's hard to go wrong with the LCR.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I have a Walther P22 and on rare occasion I have carried it concealed. But I honestly wouldn't recommend one because they aren't all that reliable. They are picky about ammo. You typically need a really hot load like a CCI Velocitor or Minimag. The sub sonic rounds will periodically not throw the slide far enough back to catch the next round and chamber it. Also it is common that they won't properly feed the first round in the magazine when loaded fully with 10 rounds. So even if one is carried in the chamber, there's a chance it won't fire the second round. Honestly, when I've carried the pistol I only leave 9 rounds in the magazine so that I know it will work reliably.

I have heard really good things about the Ruger SR22. I intend to buy one at some point. If it works as well as I've heard people say, I wouldn't have any problem with it as a carry weapon.
    jlis914 likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Unless forced to I wouldnt carry a 22 for SD but its better than passing gas and peeing on your attacker. That said if semi auto is what she will do then SR22 with hot solid point loads.

Just an aside, if she is willing to make the jump to 380 there is no reason she cant do 9mm. Ton of 9mm offerings out there in small sizes since size of the gun and recoil seem to be the two issues.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Sounds like a good plan. Get her comfortable with the PPK/S in .22 and graduate her to the PPK .380 for carry.
    But if you are just talking about getting her into shooting, she's probably going to shoot something with a longer sight radius or that you can mount a red dot to better. Maybe something like that lightweight Mk III with a rail on it. I don't recall the exact model right now.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Regardless of caliber, rimfire is not dependable enough for me for SD.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

Administrator
    If she really only feels comfortable with a .22 then the PPK/S would be a good, ergonomic choice and it points very naturally.

Absolutely I would experiment with various MATCH GRADE .22 ammo and select from those what brand feeds and functions reliably.

Match grade .22 LR is manufactured to much tighter smaller batch QC standards than bulk .22 and is quite reliable.

It is more expensive but, (in my opinion) is worth the increased cost for the increased reliability factor.
    RETSUPT99, jlis914 and brocktice like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks to all for the replies thus far, once again great info! Thanks for pointing out the Ruger SR22, that could be a viable option. Also, I share your feelings about actually carrying the .22 for SD, please allow me to clarify that the smaller .22 (as opposed to the larger Ruger MK III) would serve to get her more comfortable with shooting in general. Something small and light enough with manageable recoil to build her confidence and basic shooting skills, then move her into something more suited for self defense. The idea for a compact 9mm is attractive and yes, there are many options out there, I was just thinking more along the lines of what I already had. As for a revolver, they are fine weapons and would love to get one (searching for a H&R 999) for plinking, just was never one to think of one for SD.
    Aircraft Maintenance, C-130 H2, USAFR

H&K USPc .40, Colt Combat Elite Mark IV .45, Colt 1911 .45, Glock 30SF .45, Glock 19 (Gen 2) 9mm, Walther PPK .380, Ruger MKIII Competition .22LR
    All leather beautifully crafted by Alessi

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Absolutely I would experiment with various MATCH GRADE .22 ammo and select from those what brand feeds and functions reliably.

Match grade .22 LR is manufactured to much tighter smaller batch QC standards than bulk .22 and is quite reliable.
    Good to know, I've only ever used the cheap bulk stuff because I only ever use it for fun or gun handling practice (1911 and AR in .22lr). Thanks!

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

My wife wasn't happy with the recoil from my 9mm nor her .38 SPL so she picked up a S&W Bodyguard 380 and I picked up a Ruger LCP for comparison. She now will gladly carry either, knowing that although her hand will hurt a bit after firing 50-100 rounds at the range, a real life scenario (away from home) will likely be her firing less than what's in the mag. Think about that although nothing's wrong with having a .22 handy but carrying a .380

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links