I need an excuse.

I need an excuse.

This is a discussion on I need an excuse. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last Wed I was shooting, 9mm Wolf, at an indoor range and caught a little piece that bounced back and went into my right arm. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: I need an excuse.

Ex Member

I need an excuse.

Last Wed I was shooting, 9mm Wolf, at an indoor range and caught a little piece that bounced back and went into my right arm. I keep a small first aid kit in my shooting bag, tweezers, alcohol wipes, bandaids, tape, and a few woman's mini pads, great for small 'blood issues.' I got what I THOUGHT was all of the small piece of the round out but 5 days later it is getting infected. I DON'T want to go to the hospital and say the magic works "GUN SHOT WOUND" that by law hospitals HAVE to call the LEO's. Though it was a accident, and I do have a witness, I would rather keep this low keyed. Any ideas?

I think you meant to say "that while practicing with my sling shot, using metal ammo, a bit hit me in my arm." Isnt that right?
    oneshot and The Old Anglo like this.

VIP Member
    A cactus needle stuck me and it looks infected.
    oneshot likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    ... it is getting infected. I DON'T want to go to the hospital and say the magic works "GUN SHOT WOUND" that by law hospitals HAVE to call the LEO's. Though it was a accident, and I do have a witness, I would rather keep this low keyed. Any ideas?
    What's the problem? You were at a range and it's common knowledge ricochets of pieces occasionally happen. Seems silly to risk infection to avoid "the law" requirements on reporting. Call your doc and deal with it, I'd say. What are they gonna do ... charge you with being in the line of ricochet?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    What's the problem? You were at a range and it's common knowledge ricochets of pieces occasionally happen. Seems silly to risk infection to avoid "the law" requirements on reporting. Call your doc and deal with it, I'd say. What are they gonna do ... charge you with being in the line of ricochet?

I have every civilian, and military permit and ID on earth but don't want to deal with the hassle.

I have every civilian, and military permit and ID on earth but don't want to deal with the hassle.
    Okay. You can deal with the infection, then. The folks at the local pharmacy might help guide you on basic antibiotic/septic handling. But if you've got further imbedded stuff in there, it's going to need to come out. If you can swing that on your own, great. But, as you might guess, nasty infections can be a terrible "hassle" as well. Seems like tossing the baby out with the bathwater, here, avoiding anyone knowing of the ricochet at the range, which really isn't anymore of an injury than, say, the cactus thorns mentioned above (beyond whatever paperwork and Q&A the bobbleheads deem they need to pursue).
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Should be able to handle it in a doctors office and not in the hospital. If so just say you were working on your car and the metal piece broke and went into your arm. No one could tell if it is a piece of a bullet or just metal from a vehicle part that broke.

VIP Member
    Last Wed I was shooting, 9mm Wolf, at an indoor range and caught a little piece that bounced back and went into my right arm. I keep a shall first aid kit in my shooting bag, tweezers, alcohol wipes, bandaids, tape, and a few woman's mini pads, great for small 'blood issues.' I got what I THOUGHT was all of the small piece of the round out but 5 days later it is getting infected. I DON'T want to go to the hospital and say the magic works "GUN SHOT WOUND" that by law hospitals HAVE to call the LEO's. Though it was a accident, and I do have a witness, I would rather keep this low keyed. Any ideas?
    Infections are nothing to mess with. All the docs need to know is you think you got a metal shaving in your arm. Lot's of ways you can answer their questions while being both truthful and protecting your privacy.

If it were me, I'd go get it treated as soon as possible. Infections become much more difficult to deal with once they take root.

Good luck!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryl View Post
    Should be able to handle it in a doctors office and not in the hospital. If so just say you were working on your car and the metal piece broke and went into your arm. No one could tell if it is a piece of a bullet or just metal from a vehicle part that broke.

Now THAT is a good idea. A silver piece of steel is going to look like a silver piece of lead. Plus one look at me and I look like a car guy. Crazy thing is in 40+ years of shooting that is the first time I ever got 'tagged.' Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't go to the hospital for this, go to an urgent care such as "CareNow" or the like in your area, or make an appointment with your primary care doctor. A small wound that is possibly infected is not a reason to go to the ER.
    StormRhydr, Tzadik and msgt/ret like this.

Get the infection treated. If you can't trust your Doctor to treat you in an ethical manner it's a legitimate time for Dr shopping.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Accidents happen, but get some treatment somewhere asap. Infections are nothing to fool around with. Nearly lost part of my hand to a staph infection when I was in college.

I've been hit with fragments at indoor ranges also. Fortuneatly, I didn't get an infection. I guess I'm lucky that I'm not prone to infections. Latest fragment was from a guy firing a 9mm 2 stalls away from me. Anyway, I've kinda wondered what to do about a situation like this. I'll be watching this thread with interest. Heh, I've been hit in the face by ejected 45 acp shells bouncing off the stall walls also.

tell them you working on your car with a hammer and chisel and when you hit the chisel a piece flew off and hit your arm. I know have dug a few pieces from my arm before from a chisel that was mushroomed on the end.
    manolito likes this.

VIP Member
    This is what you do ....................." i was working in my garage welding on my car and a peice of molden metal splattered and a little bit landed on my arm i tried cleaning it at home but i guess i did not get it all "

You can thank me later
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links