Have .40S&W , What Next ?

This is a discussion on Have .40S&W , What Next ? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have as my first firearm a Ruger SR40C. I really like it. Before i bought it I had the opportunity to tryout a friends ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By StevePVB

Thread: Have .40S&W , What Next ?

I have as my first firearm a Ruger SR40C. I really like it. Before i bought it I had the opportunity to tryout a friends SR9 and a SR40C. Not only did i shoot the .40 much better ..... It was a BLAST! I'd like to make a second firearm purchase early 2014. Is there any value in adding different calibers (Other than the 9mm's hold a few more rounds). I have my eye on two models so far (FNX-40) and The Baretta PX4 Storm Compact in .40. what got me thinking was that the Beretta makes a 20 round magazine in 9mm for the storm. Though even if i bought it in .40 I would purchase the full size magazines also as spares.

What's next? The world is your oyster with regard to defensive firearms. If you handle the .40 well, then stick with it!

The "value" in adding different calibers is that if there's a 'run' on one, you don't have all your eggs in one basket. In handgun calibers, at one point I told myself that after .22, .45 and .38/.357 I didn't need any more, but now I've got 9mm and .40 and .32 S+W and .32 ACP, and I no longer see a reason to artificially limit myself.
    jblives2ride likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    more choices, some ammo is very difficult to locate.. I still can't find .380 ammo and have purchased every box I have seen..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I wouldn't spend money I needed for other things. You shoot the .40 well. Why get another?

On the other hand...

Yeah..I know I live with "someone" that doesn't understand why I "need" "multiple guns".
    Kennydale likes this.

If you like the .40 you may want to step over to the dark side and try either a glock 23 or 22. I myself shoot the 9mm religiously and hated on glocks until I bought my g19. Right now I'm saving for my g17 and g26. I may just change my name to glockdude12 but alas ruger rifles and wheel guns still keep me loyal
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large, is that they be properly armed."

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    more choices, some ammo is very difficult to locate.. I still can't find .380 ammo and have purchased every box I have seen..
    Shameless plug: I have 300+ rounds of 380 Jhp for sale currently.

Pm me.

Op
    I have 4 major calibers simply for ammo availability. 40 is not as popular as 9 or 45 so it's been easy to keep in stock. It's really up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

What do you want to do with your pistols? Do you find yourself unarmed b/c of the size of your pistol? You already have a caliber that will do what all the others will do wrt self protection. If you want to stick with semi's - if you hunt, step up to 10mm; if you want a more discrete carry, get a 32 or 380. Then there's also the revolver option.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    I wouldn't spend money I needed for other things. You shoot the .40 well. Why get another?

On the other hand...

Yeah..I know I live with "someone" that doesn't understand why I "need" "multiple guns".
    Me too. I have to work on her slowly and try to explain why "ONE IS NONE, TWO IS ONE " theory

To be diversified is a good thing. Reliance upon just one caliber would not be to your advantage.

I personally would get a 9mm pistol. It is perhaps the most popular caliber in the world and fairly proven. Ammo can be found just about anywhere and even our Military use the Baretta 9mm as their sidearm.

I'd also look into getting a small .380 as a back up or quick go-to piece. A .22 revolver or semi auto will also round out your "collection." We also have two .357 magnum revolvers, the LCR and an older S&W model 19.

.38 special is a good caliber but if you invest in a handgun that shoots .357, you will also be able to shoot the .38spl cartridge in one chambered for the .357 as well.

Good luck on your choice.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsored Links