Reloading question

This is a discussion on Reloading question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am new to the reloading world. I have about 1000 rounds created under my belt. Tonight I ran into a situation where I am ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By john.shewchuk
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By drhuggybear
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Reloading question

Reloading question

I am new to the reloading world. I have about 1000 rounds created under my belt. Tonight I ran into a situation where I am needing some help/guidance

Scenario: I am using a Lee Ergo Primer tool to load up my 45ACP brass that I have just cleaned and de-primed. What I didn't notice is that some 45ACP Federal Brass with the small pistol primer casings were in my brass. So I am priming away and one doesn't seat right away. I wasn't mashing down but I obviously did it hard enough for the primer to get stuck. Here are some images:
    WP_20131015_003.jpg
    WP_20131015_004.jpg

The brass is now stuck on the attachment. My question is, how do I dislodge it without setting off the primer? I tried some basic movements with a pen but being that it's 11pm I didn't want to risk it going off and scaring the DW and 2 DD's half to death.

Should I get some needle-nose pliers or is this a throw it away and go buy another Lee #2 attachment.

Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    DW, DD???

First don a pair of safety glasses, and then find a punch that will fit through flash hole, then don safety glasses and use a small hammer to tap out the primer then install the proper size primer.
    john.shewchuk likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yeah, while it is advised to not deprime live primers, I have done it many many times with no issues.

Find a punch and press it out (key word being press and not hit with hammer)

Put on glasses and if your really worried about it wear a pair of leather gloves... even if it went off there simply isn't enough force to really cause any damage...

Hope this helps, I wouldn't worry too much about it, but definitely glad you asked, better to be safe than sorry...
    msgt/ret and NONAME762 like this.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Yep, john's got the answer. If you want another layer of "belt and suspenders", squirt some WD40 into the case to contaminate and desensitize the primer before you gently decap.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Pull the depriming pin out of your rezizing die and use it to push the primer out,If you have to tap it a little it probably won't set it off,Ive deprimed quite a few cases in 10 years of reloading and never had one go off yet,if it does it's gonna be a little bang,wear safety glasses and gloves.
    In the future sort the brass,ever since they started going to small primers in some 45acp I been having to look at the primers before I reload them to make sure they are all the same primer size.....Carry On
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    DW, DD???
    Sorry these are standard abbreviations on some other forums that I frequent

DW = Dear Wife
    DD = Dear Daughter
    DS = Dear Son
    and so on.

This is certainly a lesson learned. Thanks for all the feedback.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Having considered the value of a live primer and the brass involved here (one each) I would just can both and move on.

In the future when at this juncture in the reloading process take extra special heavy duty probationary care and hopefully the incident you have described to us will never occur again.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Yo HuggyBear... you're cluing us all to your age...gray hair or worse NO HAIR...a tad too much Starsky and Hutch reruns in your youth yes?

I'd bet you're still listening to Old Rock on a 8 track aincha?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've deprimed live primers before, but the easiest thing to do is drop the primed case in water for a moment and then run thru a resizer die. The water will "de-arm" the primer, but take safety precautions regardless. It's no big deal.
    Last edited by OldVet; October 16th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Yo HuggyBear... you're cluing us all to your age...gray hair or worse NO HAIR...a tad too much Starsky and Hutch reruns in your youth yes?

I'd bet you're still listening to Old Rock on a 8 track aincha?
    Who me? huggy-bear3.jpg
    Good catch on the reference.

Nope on the 8-track ... streaming the tunes ... and yes gray hair is beginning to attack. I blame it on teenage daughters.

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Call NONAME's ordnance disposal. He will probably dig an 8 foot deep hole with a backhoe and bury it.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Links