M4-gery on the back burner, picking up an HK USC!

This is a discussion on M4-gery on the back burner, picking up an HK USC! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I appreciate all the input on choosing an M4-type gun. I still do plan to pick one up. But recently HK has dropped the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Phaedrus
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: M4-gery on the back burner, picking up an HK USC!

M4-gery on the back burner, picking up an HK USC!

Well, I appreciate all the input on choosing an M4-type gun. I still do plan to pick one up. But recently HK has dropped the USC from their product line, and since Bud's had them for $1500 I decided to strike while they can still be had. My goal is to do an UMP conversion as I can get the parts and funds. I hope to get a tax stamp to turn it into a SBR, too, eventually.

And yeah- I realize a Daniel Defense DDM4 would be a couple hundred bucks less and more lethal. But I think the .45 ACP carbine will be a step up from my HK USP45 Tactical for home defense. A rifle is easier to hit with and easier to shoot fast. With the UMP mags it will hold 25 rounds. But the main virtue it has, for me, is that I can shoot it on the local indoor range. I really have nowhere to shoot a rifle at all. I do want to get a 5.56 but timing wise I feel I best jump on the USC now or risk never getting one.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

2. Remove Ads

Congrats. MP5s and USCs are something I rarely see people talk about on forums.

So what would be the difference between the USC and UMP out of curiosity?

Lead Moderator
    The USC is the Clinton era approved version of HK's subgun.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah, in order to make the gun less 'naughty' they added a thumbhole stock, neutered the mags to only accept 10 rounds and made a very non-threatening grey version. Mine is black. Basically an UMP conversion changes the lower out to one that has a pistol grip and a folding stock. The new lower allows the use of double stack UMP mags instead of single stack USC mags. You add the rails to it and a new stock block, plus a few US-made parts to comply with 922r and you're pretty close to the UMP but with a longer barrel and no full auto.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Links