I got a screw loose

I got a screw loose

This is a discussion on I got a screw loose within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yesterday I had a little bit of free time because a soccer game got rained out, so I decided to get in a little bit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: I got a screw loose

Senior Moderator

I got a screw loose

Yesterday I had a little bit of free time because a soccer game got rained out, so I decided to get in a little bit of shooting. I was pocket carrying my Taurus 605 and was going to shoot my normal 25 round drill.

I normally carry 2 speedloaders and 2 speed strips plus the 5 rounds in the gun. I fire the five rounds do a fast reload with a speedloader, fire 2-3 rounds and then do a tacitcal reload with a speed strip. I reholster and do this again.

The second time I draw and fire the first 5 rounds and when I go to reload my cylinder falls off and hits the ground. After a brief pause to let what happen sink in, I picked up the cylinder and examined it and my pistol. The yoke screw had backed out and this allowed the cylinder the fall off. Since it was dark in a misting rain and I was shooting in my back field, I didn’t even bother to look for the little tiny yoke screw in the tall grass and just resigned myself to placing an order with Numrich.

Now before you start bashing Taurus I have owned this pistol for 12 years and it has had a steady diet of at least 25 rounds (of .357 or .38+P) a month for those 12 years. About 10 years ago while I was shooting 158gr Hydrashoks out of it the thumb piece screw worked loose. I applied some locktite to it and have never had a problem.

Last night I was shooting some handloaded .357’s 110gr JHP (Winchester) with 7.2 gr of RedDot. Even though this is a mild load for the .357 (I can get back on target with it fast) apparently it caused the yoke screw to back out.

Well I packed up and headed back to the house feeling sorry for myself and when I pulled my pocket holster out of my pocket lo and behold the little yoke screw was in it. I cleaned my pistol applied some locktite and tried it out just to make sure that everything worked, it did.

I have confirmed my preference for pins over screws and learned that my revolver will still fire without the yoke screw, it just makes reloading a bit of a challenge.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I read about just as many pin-backing-out problems as I do about loose screws. Lucky day for you that the screw fell into the holster. A bit of the silver lining at work.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I was expecting a whole different topic for sure ........................Well i really got a screw loose
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member

Thumbs up

'Glad you found your screw.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I read about just as many pin-backing-out problems as I do about loose screws. Lucky day for you that the screw fell into the holster. A bit of the silver lining at work.

Yeah it was a great stroke of luck that the screw had fallen off in my pocket.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Yeah I have a screw loose on the seat in my car------it's me
    gen3 likes this.

Awesome luck. There is a very good chance you could have been screwed up for the rest of your life. I like hanging out with lucky people.

Not bashing taurus but it is kind of funny thinking about it:)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Not bashing taurus but it is kind of funny thinking about it:)
    I imagine the the look on my face when the cylinder went plop was pretty funny
    Warrior1256 likes this.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I think the real point is, that any weapon can fail, even a revolver. I am glad it happened when you were practicing, and not if you really needed it..Thanks for sharing....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    My nephew a couple of years ago was trying to help his GF decide what/which type of handgun to choose.
    He used his dads M&P 9c, and my wifes Taurus 85.
    While shooting the Taurus, the screw for the cylinder thumb latch release worked its way out. Can't believe he found the thing, and we screwed it back in and its been OK.
    Pistol has only seen about 500 rounds since new in 1990

I hate when that happens.
    Glad you were not in a SD situation.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Lead Moderator
    At least it happened while practicing.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    At least it happened while practicing.

That was my thought, and as Harryball said, even revolvers can fail

― Robert A. Heinlein,

You're just figuring that out now ?

Glad you found it. I know how you feel - just like when the ejector broke on my P11. Dropped the mag, racked the slide ... and there I stood with a round of 9mm locked to the breech face seemingly hanging in mid air.

I guess the moral of the story would be to occasionally give your EDC a visual and tactile inspection. Tactile. Sorry, I just had to say it again.
    Stoveman likes this.
    Gun Owners of America lifetime member since last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links