question on ammo selection, ak-47 for whitetail deer

This is a discussion on question on ammo selection, ak-47 for whitetail deer within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My brother is flying up from Texas for deer season and I may end up loaning him my Winchester 30-30. That leaves me my AK-47 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: question on ammo selection, ak-47 for whitetail deer

question on ammo selection, ak-47 for whitetail deer

My brother is flying up from Texas for deer season and I may end up loaning him my Winchester 30-30. That leaves me my AK-47 to hunt with.
    I have steel cased Tula and wolf in hollow point to use, or I could by some of this soft point ammo:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104532480

My question is, which would be a better choice for white tail in Michigan? The area we will be hunting is fairly open with a lot of waist high brush. I guess I really don't have a lot of confidence in the 7.62 hollow points. The diameter of the opening in the hollow point is so small I question if it will really expand like it should.

Would the softpoint be more reliable against a whitetail?

2. Remove Ads

If you're comparing it with the Wolf hollow point then yes, a soft point is a much better choice. There is a Remington Core-Lokt load that should work just fine in an AK. The Wolf hollow point is a hollow point in much the same way an OTM bullet is....yes there is a hole in the tip of the bullet, but it's not designed to actually expand upon impact. The end result will be much the same as a FMJ. Happy hunting!
    bmcgilvray likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Pump 30 rounds into the deer. I'm sure it will go down with any ammo.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've shot deer with the 127 grain soft point out of an AR15 upper in 7.62x39,dropped them like a sledgehammer
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I vote soft nose . https://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=21893

HP in 7.62x39 does not do much I have heard. Also if using brass case check them out with your rifle first some aks do not like brass stuff .

I just looked at midway and they have way to slection rounds by game size this is deer stuff Medium Game | 7.62x39mm Russian | Rifle AmmoThese seem to be cheep and the reviews mention deer hunting Prvi Partizan Ammo 7.62x39mm 123 Grain Round Nose Soft Point Box of 20.

And ps I want to know what you had luck with as I personal want to use a 7.62x39 to hunt with myslefe. For me I love a sks m or d model , all the accuracy of a sks with the ablity to take aks mags if SHTF.

Good luck and safe hunting .

In Wisconsin it is illegal to hunt deer with ammunition loaded with non-expanding type bullets, but Michigan does not seem to have this restriction that I can find.

There are lots of suitable ammunition available in 7.62x39 if you can find it in stock.

However, according to the Michigan DNR White Tail Deer Hunting FAQ,
    "How many rounds of ammunition may I carry in my rifle or shotgun?

If you use a semi-automatic rifle or a semi-automatic shotgun, other than a .22 caliber rifle or smaller caliber rimfire rifle, the firearm cannot be capable of holding more than 6 rounds in the barrel and magazine combined. This restriction does not apply to bolt action, lever action, or other firearms that are not semi-automatics."

I was worried about this last year when I got a Michigan license (I have land in Wisconsin that is 30 yards from the Michigan UP border), as I was using a Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 with a ten round mag, but then saw it didn't apply to bolt actions.

White-Tailed Deer - Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Environment
    StormRhydr likes this.
    NRA Life Member

You can't hunt deer with an assault weapon. You don't need 30 rounds to kill a deer.

Duh.

But seriously, soft points. All the way.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Maybe he should send a picture of himself hunting with it to Diane Feinstein. The thought of her in desperate need of a new Depends amuses me.

Senior Moderator
    You can't hunt deer with an assault weapon. You don't need 30 rounds to kill a deer.
    Technically, its not an "assault" weapon. Its a semi auto rifle.

A deer however, might have other thoughts about it.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Technically, its not an "assault" weapon. Its a semi auto rifle.

A deer however, might have other thoughts about it.

It can be used to ASSAULT PEOPLE, can't it?!

Senior Moderator
    Sure it could. Deer too.

Until it does, it's not an "assault weapon" per definition. Assault weapons are select fire, capable of full auto.

Of course, to the news media, rabid anti-gun fanatics and lots of liberazi's they are ALL "assault weapons'.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sure it could. Deer too.

Until it does, it's not an "assault weapon" per definition. Assault weapons are select fire, capable of full auto.

Of course, to the news media, rabid anti-gun fanatics and lots of liberazi's they are ALL "assault weapons'.
    Preachin' to the choir.

Just some not-so-good humor.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Make sure you have a 5 round mag. Are you north of the shotgun zone?

I'd rather hunt deer with a sabot slug than my AK.

I hunted deer in South Ga. for years with my SKS using 7.62x39 soft nose and hollow point ammo. They both did the job very well! Works real well on hogs, too! Open season all year long and no limit!
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    I hunted deer in South Ga. for years with my SKS using 7.62x39 soft nose and hollow point ammo. They both did the job very well! Works real well on hogs, too! Open season all year long and no limit!

Bingo that was my point as I said I take a sks with a ok scope or even irons over a ak for hunting as one is a bit more accurate . That is why I like sks m or d ...

And oh yeah look at KVAR site they should have some 5 round mags . I know they have 10 rounder . Thous and some old metal china ones seem to work for me. I know china made 5 round hunting / 94 awb mags .. Or there is ways to block the mags too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links