Firearm as a Gift

Firearm as a Gift

This is a discussion on Firearm as a Gift within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My old lady who rocks might I add is going to buy me a handgun for Christmas/Hanukkah (we celebrate both since our families differ on ...

Thread: Firearm as a Gift

Firearm as a Gift

My old lady who rocks might I add is going to buy me a handgun for Christmas/Hanukkah (we celebrate both since our families differ on the religion thing). Anyways, if she was to purchase it how do I go about getting it in my name besides the obvious bill of sale between us? Is there a way she can buy it and have it put in my name or would I have to be there? I gave her a list of what I wanted, so I kinda wanted it to be a surprise if it's at all possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

depends on your stat here my old lady would buy it then i would basically us a purchase permit to transfer it to me

then go visit the cops and have it registered to me instead of her

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    not sure about KY, you could either go with her to purchase or go have it transferred after the fact.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Well, kinda sucks then, but I guess I'll just transfer it after the fact. Thanks for the help!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

why dont you have her get a gift certificate at the gun store that you're gonna purchase the gun from...then you can go and purchase after xmas..that always worked for me..

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    why dont you have her get a gift certificate at the gun store that you're gonna purchase the gun from...then you can go and purchase after xmas..that always worked for me..
    She wanted to know what I wanted and wanted to pick it out. I'm not ever going to interfere with her interest in firearms. I'm already very lucky that she likes to shoot and carries.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I am lucky too as I am picking out my present next Friday.I have not decided what I want.Still have another week to go.I have my eye
    on several handguns and a couple rifles.

How does her buying it and tranferring it to you effect the warranty?

We're giving handguns this year. Here's how we handled it...

First, Texas is a bad example because if I want to sell a gun, our laws work as they should. You give me the cash or the thing I'm trading for, I give you the gun, we shake hands, done.

So the SP101 I'm getting for my brother, I bought it, I give it to him, no muss no fuss.

But the one I'm getting, my would be givers simply gave me $$$ for it and I went and bought it myself and it was easier on everybody. Yeah it takes the surprise factor out of it, but it was just a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    I've suggested this to my wife before as she does not have an AFL, which you need for a firearms purchase in WA State if you are an immigrant alien (we have our Green cards), I however do have my AFL, so that work out just right in our case.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by djurnz View Post
    How does her buying it and transferring it to you effect the warranty?
    as you could prove it was a gift from your wife and your sending in the warranty card in your name shouldn't be a problem at all

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean View Post
    We're giving handguns this year. Here's how we handled it...

First, Texas is a bad example because if I want to sell a gun, our laws work as they should. You give me the cash or the thing I'm trading for, I give you the gun, we shake hands, done.

So the SP101 I'm getting for my brother, I bought it, I give it to him, no muss no fuss.

But the one I'm getting, my would be givers simply gave me $$$ for it and I went and bought it myself and it was easier on everybody. Yeah it takes the surprise factor out of it, but it was just a lot easier.
    Kentucky is the same way. Since it's a new firearm, I might just do that. Kinda just wanted to make sure the ATF knew, but I guess it doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links