Firearms for dad/brother, help needed

This is a discussion on Firearms for dad/brother, help needed within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thread has two main questions. I am definately the "gun guy" in my family, my dad has a few, my older brother has a ...

Thread: Firearms for dad/brother, help needed

Question Firearms for dad/brother, help needed

This thread has two main questions. I am definately the "gun guy" in my family, my dad has a few, my older brother has a few, and I have a bunch. So naturally when the topic of a new firearm coming into the house comes up. everyone wants my advice. But I have discovered a wealth of knowledge here and and kinda stumped, so I figure that I will get some other opinions. Here are my two questions:

First, my younger brother is 17, and my father has decided that it is time for him to have his own firearm (17 is late, I know, I've been trying, but truth is I didn't get my first .22 rifle until I was 17.) I take him out to the range with me and he is getting more mature so yeah, I think he should have one too. Younger brother likes firearms (doesnt know that he is getting one yet thought), and has decided that he wants a pump action shotgun. Dad's idea is to get him a single shot 20 gauge, or some sort of .22 rifle. (Dad is worried that younger brother who is all of 5'8 and maybe 130#'s can't handle a 12 gauge even though he has shot mine.) Any ideas on good ways to convince dad to get him say a Mossberg 500 instead, or suggestions on good bolt action .22's?

Second, my dad really enjoys shooting his Ruger Mark 2. He doesn't know it yet but Ma wants to get him a new pistol for Christmas. The ergonomics and pointability are great for him. He just really enjoys shooting that pistol. Does anybody know of any other pistols in a larger caliber, preferably 9mm, that have similar grips/ergonimcs/weight/feel? (I know the Luger does, but they get a bit pricey.) My dad has said he wants a 9mm due to low ammo costs, and he just really likes that pistol, so if anyone knows of something with about the same feel in a 9mm, I would be grateful for the suggestions. Sorry about the length of the post, thanks in advance for the replies.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

on the shotgun tell um its for home defense as well as say bird hunting

Or convince pops to get him a 20 gauge pump I hunt bird with one and always have and never have felt the need for the 12 except for home defense as they don't make a shotgun set up for that in 20

on the 22 for a bolt i reccomend a CZ 452 while pricey i dont think you can get much better till you get into the 1K range I love mine

but a 10/22 is a awesome gun also

A glock is gonna be as close as you can get to a ruger mark II unless you find a luger

The 17 is my choice for a glock in 9mm but a ton of people prefer the jsut slightly smaller 19

When i carried my 17 i would go to the range and start with the mark II get warmed up and was ready to go with the glock right off i do think they complement each other

Let us know what ya end up doing

VIP Member

With Regard to the Pistol for Your Dad...

I'm not certain if its ergonomics are the same as a Ruger Mark II (since I've never fired that particular Ruger, so bear that in mind), but many people like the ergonomics of a Browning Hi-Power. Check one out and see what you think.

Good luck! I know you'll find something your Dad will love!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I'm not certain if its ergonomics are the same as a Ruger Mark II (since I've never fired that particular Ruger, so bear that in mind), but many people like the ergonomics of a Browning Hi-Power. Check one out and see what you think.

Good luck! I know you'll find something your Dad will love!
    Hi power is a good gun but not the same ergo as a ruger mark II

As far as I know, I am the only person in my immediate family who has ever done any sort of hunting. I think little brother just wants a shotgun because they are loud, and powerful, although he would certainly get more use out of a .22 rifle. Bass Pro Shops had 10/22's for 150 in their last add in the paper, maybe I'll start campaigning for that.

My dad has rented a couple Glocks at the range, and didn't seem to care for them that much (not saying that your comparison of them is wrong, he just doesn't seem to like them. This pistol isn't going to be a CCW, if he gets around to turning in the paperwork he has already decided that his Bersa .380 will fill that role, if he ever does decide to carry. Just to throw something out there, does anyone know anything about the Walther P-38's? There are some at gun stores around here. I have never handled one, but they seem about the same size and all of a luger, just an idea.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

You really can't beat the Mossberg 500 for a shotgun (for home defense, get the stockless 500A w/ pistol grip). I'm not too terribly familiar with 20 ga., as I've only used 12 ga.'s. So... given this, Benelli makes a great tactical pump (the Nova) that I enjoyed shooting, and it's relatively cheap, too, at around $300. The tactical only comes in 12 ga., but you can get varying configurations of it in 20 as well. Nice kick to it, but easy enough to control, and the ghost ring sights are very nice.

No real clue about the pistol... can't think of anything in that form factor in 9mm at the moment. However, for a similar grip style, you might want to go with a single-stack magazine, but I have to admit, the Glock 17 is very nice, as Bud has mentioned. Glock 19s, while smaller, are very comfortable to hold as well, but large hands may have problems.

I need to get a Ruger .22 now...

I personally love the Mossberg 500, I have an 8 shot Persuader model, I put a full length stock with a pistol grip on it, and there aren't many shotgun's I'd trade for it, if any. But upon further contemplation, I think the 10/22 is prolly about the best I'll be able to pull for younger bro, and he would prolly use it a whole lot more. (plus he can wait till he turns 18 like I did to buy his first shotgun)

My dad does not fit into the category of having large hands. Compared to my parents I am a freak of nature in size at 5'11 and 235, my dad is 5'10 and maybe 145 (Ma is 5'2).
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Walther.html

There is the Walther, AIM has them right now. Both my parents approached me at different times tonight for input on this, so I haven't had time to formulate many opinions yet and am still thinkin through this. The only other real question though, is would it be fair for dad and younger brother to have firearms under the tree, and not me? (Hopefully not, and the parents have an adequate list of choices). Thanks for the quick response, keep em comin.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

not much else is gonna fit that luger angle of the mark ii the p-38 has a straighter grip angle

why not go with a gi 45 or mil spec for him .. he might love shooting old slab sides

Yeah, I know its hard to find something with that angle, thats why I am stumped as to what to get him. Old Slab Sides, a Springfield 1911A1 GI, is what I carry, he doesn'y seem to enjoy it too much. (I know that he seems awfully difficult, which is why I am stumped.) I think he prefers a lighter recoil. Honestly Bud, I'm not trying to shoot down every idea that you have, and I really appreciate your responses. Although it may be possible that there is no such weapon that fills the bill on this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Assistant Administrator
    I have been thinking on this and doubt somehow you'll match that MKII type angle and feel totally at all.

In terms of ''oomph'' I doubt any 9mm will give him any problem at all but - seeing as MKII has heel mag release and it's grip angle - it's hard to choose a comparable 9mm.

I am sorta thinking Mak - 9x18 as a possible but still - grips will feel different. Even I'd think of suggesting a Bersa UC9 - very tidy and compact but - again ergonomics different.

I really think best for dad would be to try and get him shooting as many 9mm's as he can - and I am sure he will find something that does not have to mimic a MKII!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Yeah, I know its hard to find something with that angle, thats why I am stumped as to what to get him. Old Slab Sides, a Springfield 1911A1 GI, is what I carry, he doesn'y seem to enjoy it too much. (I know that he seems awfully difficult, which is why I am stumped.) I think he prefers a lighter recoil. Honestly Bud, I'm not trying to shoot down every idea that you have, and I really appreciate your responses. Although it may be possible that there is no such weapon that fills the bill on this.
    lol sure your not

What about a springfield XD ? not the same grip angle but a good shooting gun

Yeah, I was thinkin goin into this question that there might not be such a pistol. Hopefully I can get him to the range this weekend and get him to try out a couple of different 9mm's. He liked the feel of my Sigma 9VE when he shot it, but hated the trigger pull on it. Since this won't be a carry gun and just for target shooting he wants a 9mm for the cheaper ammo than .380, so that he can do more centerfire work. It would be nice to find something with the same feel. I just gotta get him to try out some different 9mm's I guess.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; December 8th, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

He has shot the xd, and didn't seem to care for that too much either. I think my best bet would be to find a single stack 9mm, maybe a S&W auto or something, I dunno, I got a couple of weeks to keep looking. P95, I'm dissappointed that you didn't have any miracle pistol answers with pictures taken on a red backdrop (only kidding of course). I do appreciate everyones responses thus far, after I get him out to the range and see what they have in stores locally (I've been in Columbus for the past 4 months straight minus Thanksgiving and am now in Cincinnati) hopefully I'll come up with something. Any other ideas, especially on good single stack 9mm's for under say 500, would be appreciated.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

>Look at the Walther P99. Great trigger. Several trigger options you can choose when you buy the gun. Very easy takedown. Reliable. You'd just have to see if the ergos fit him. Many folks really like the Walther ergos.
    -terry

Links