Reloading and those dang 1911's

This is a discussion on Reloading and those dang 1911's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a reloader!!!!! Yea, shot my very own reloaded ammo last night and all of them worked!! It was a very satisfying night. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading and those dang 1911's

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

I am a reloader!!!!!

Yea, shot my very own reloaded ammo last night and all of them worked!! It was a very satisfying night. I purchased a Lee Pro 1000 with .45acp dies from Armco who set it up and tested it for me (a very good gunsmith), he supplied me also with 200gr SWC cast bullets and titegroup powder. Loaded them to 4.8gr. They cycled the gun nicely and when I was paying attention to my grip, the grouping was nice.

I always read all the posts about 1911ís with a cynical eye, and frankly I didnít really like the look and the feel of the Government model. However someone let me try their Commander and I said to myself, now this feels and looks much better, time to try it out. I purchased a new Norinco Commander from a reputable gunsmith that cleans them up a bit prior to sale. The Norinco model is pretty much original mil-spec, although the new ones coming in are customized with extended beavertails, hump on grip safety and lightened trigger(might upgrade mine!). Well I have been shooting and carrying (as much as legal allowed, i.e. house and range) mine for a while now and can see why people like them.
    For carrying the slim design and the size of the Commander makes it easy to forget you have it on, the single stack mags also fit nicely into the pocket (should sew a small mag pouch into my pant pocket) I also find the look of the design is growing on me, John Browning really knew what he was doing!! I have a cheap IWB holster, but when I start doing IDPA, I will have to get a better one.

My only complaint about the gun is the original style small sights, which with my eyesights are getting fuzzy! I plan to replace them with Novak 3 dot sights, the extended beaver tail is a nice to have, although I donít seem to suffer from hammer bite as some people do.

I also got to shoot the Bul 1911 polymer from IMI (Charles Daly in the US) I quite liked them. I am waiting for them to make a Commander in .45acp, they have it in 9mm, but I prefer my 1911ís in .45acp. Also I hear that the Dan Wessons Bobtailís commanders might be coming in and they are a fine looking gun. So it is likely that I will get another one. Yep these 1911ís are like a disease, once you get bitten, you never be cured!

1943 - 2009
    Yep these 1911ís are like a disease, once you get bitten, you never be cured!
    This is what they call an epiphany!

You have seen the light, and it is John Moses Browning!

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

congratulations on your first batch. I've got a few nice recipies for 45acp. One of my all time favorites is for 230 grain.

230gr FMJ
    4.0 Clays (straight Clays)
    Federal primers
    mixed brass
    light crimp

You'll make roughly 730 fps from the muzzle, with moderate kick.

I use bullseye a lot too. Burns slightly more dirtier than Clays. vihta vuori is becoming very popular, especially amongst IPSC shooters because it burns so clean.

Lead Moderator
    Congrats. I really enjoy making my own stuff, so relaoding is nice. I have not gotten .45 dies yet, but have plenty of brass. I like the commander size 1911's. My SA Champ is a constant companion.
    If you are intrested, I make a mag pouch for 1911's than drops in your back pocket to keep the mags upright.
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=kydex+builds
    the last pic in the series.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

yep 1911's are great guns fairly easy to load for unless ya got a tight match chamber then they can be picky

might as well break out the catalogs and start shopping for your next 1911

Thanks for the recipes!

The only annoying thing last night is that the new Colt 7 rd mag I got failed to lock the slide back, looked at the follower and can't see why it doesn't work, will take a closer look when I clean it tonight, never had a problem with Norinco mags in any of the 3 Norc guns I have had.

I also learned that .45acp Win Clean brass uses a small pistol primer luckily I found that out prior to trying to reload it! Reloading .45acp makes you a Brass troll, digging through the brass bins!

Yup, I love those 1911's. The Commander is my favorite and primary carry. I reload with Winchester 231 under 230 gr LRN's. I really like the Laser Cast bullets and Winchester primers. Sure makes things more affordable!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Thanks for the recipes!

The only annoying thing last night is that the new Colt 7 rd mag I got failed to lock the slide back, looked at the follower and can't see why it doesn't work, will take a closer look when I clean it tonight, never had a problem with Norinco mags in any of the 3 Norc guns I have had.

I also learned that .45acp Win Clean brass uses a small pistol primer luckily I found that out prior to trying to reload it! Reloading .45acp makes you a Brass troll, digging through the brass bins!
    In regards to the mag not locking the slide back, it's probably a weak mag spring. Clean the inside of the mag and the spring, and if it happens again, then your spring has lost it's sprung.

Yes you are right about being turned into a brass troll. I have a seperate bag that I use to collect my spent brass. I also keep a watchful eye on the firing line. If I see someone about to chuck 45, I run up to them with my bag and ask if I can have it. Crawling around on my hands and knees has become something regular, too.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Yes you are right about being turned into a brass troll. I have a seperate bag that I use to collect my spent brass. I also keep a watchful eye on the firing line. If I see someone about to chuck 45, I run up to them with my bag and ask if I can have it. Crawling around on my hands and knees has become something regular, too.
    You mean I'm not the only one, whew! That's good to know......

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Brass scrounging! It is a disease I have. I sure do get some strange looks, as I pick up "scrap" brass at my local indoor range. Maybe it's the ear muffs, shooting glasses and the dust mask that does it.
    LOL

Roger

I do like those 200grain H&G68 wadcutters. I wasn't able to get great accuracy out of titegroup - but it's cheap so I still have a few pounds laying around for high-volume plinking :). Have tried several different powder for the .45 acp - Unique, Bullseye, W231, and even PowerPistol. Power Pistol was very accurate - but I have settled on 5.9 grains of IMR PB pushing a 200gr LSWC as 'best load' in our 1911 variants. Not incredibly fast - but very accurate in our guns.

Razorblade
    I hope it's not a weak mag spring as it's brand new!

My friends at the range have a more gutter type term for use brass pickers!

work up some loads for the 230 rn bullet. you will like it over the lighter bullet. i have found that all of my 1911 loves the 230 rn bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Razorblade
    I hope it's not a weak mag spring as it's brand new!
    Hmmm... (scratches chin)
    Do you know anyone that you can borrow a 1911 mag from. A mag from a different manufacturer? Preferably one from Wilson or Chip McCormick? That way you'll know if the problem is the mag follower not pushing the slide stop or if it's another issue. Also when performing the test, go with factory ammo.

When I load light (my mousefart loads), my slide will barely cycle and will NOT lock the slide back. Also, limp wristing will prevent the slide from locking back (as well as other malfunctions), but you said you paid attention to your grip so that may not have been the cause either.

I just shot my first reloads today as well. Was really happy with it and all of them fed well. Was using 230 gr LRN's from Gardner's Cache with HP38 powder. All 100 went bang and cycle the gun properly. So, now I'll have to spend all week reloading for my 1911 disease. :)
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links