Convention of CCW members

This is a discussion on Convention of CCW members within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I rode a motorcycle for over 30 years, having given up riding just a few years ago when I moved to Florida from Michigan. During ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convention of CCW members

I rode a motorcycle for over 30 years, having given up riding just a few years ago when I moved to Florida from Michigan. During my years of riding, I always felt a sense of comradeship with other bikers. For example, I would always adhere to the custom of waving to other riders I passed on the road, and came to love and respect most of the members of the club I rode with. At rallys, such as Americade, held each June in Lake George, New York, we had riders from across the country, representing a microcosm of Americans from all walks of life. Different races, religions, ethic backgrounds, socio-economic backgrounds, white collar, blue collor, CEO's from major corporations, to guys who worked the line, neuro- surgeons to janitors. But, once we gathered together in our leathers(most bikers wore leathers in the north and mid-west) these differences disappeared and we were all just "bikers'" bound together in a kinship based upon our mutual love of the open road and the freedom that motorcycling represented(the exception to this were the "outlaw" or hells angels types, who represented a small minority of the riding population). Most of us also found a communality in our distaste for "helmet laws," notwithstanding that most of us would have worn a helmet, even if not required by law to do so.

So, you might ask, what in the world does this have to do with guns or shooting? Well, in the short while that I have had my carry license, been carrying a gun and visiting gun forums, particularly this forum, I have begun to feel a similar sense of comradeship, even though most of us I am assuming don't know each other outside of the posts we make and read on the Forum. Our mutual support of the Second Amendment and decision to assume personal responsibility for our own safety and that of our family, by carrying a gun, appears to be the communality that creates this feeling. And, I am sure that we reflect the same diversity as the biking community.

I wonder if it is only me becoming nostalgic as I am getting older, or if others have experienced the same feeling. I think that it would be nice and fun to actually meet some of the members of this Forum, who seem to be really good people, whom I know only from their posts.

If enough others feel this way, I wonder how many might be interested in attending a convention or meeting, where we might get some experts to present lectures on gun related topics, and if we could meet at one of the better gun school ranges, combine the meeting with some tactical training programs. And, I suppose, we could invite others who feel the same way.

Now, if this is already being done, then just ignore this post and perhaps just let us know the details. Or, if not practtical or realistic, just say the word

Moderators: If this is an inapproriate post or in the wrong place, delete or move it as necessary.

Ron

That sounds alot like this: Rangemaster website
    Rangemaster Tactical Conference/Polite Society Event

Each February, Rangemaster hosts an indoor tactical pistol match and a concurrent tactical conference. The match is conducted under very realistic conditions, in low light, on our indoor range. Various scenarios emulate real life defensive situations and realistic 3-D mannequin type targets add realism and stress. The targets fall only to vital hits plus non-threat targets, furniture, and props add to the training value of the competition. The next event will be Feb 24-25, 2007 at Rangemaster.

Throughout the match weekend, top shelf trainers from all over the United States conduct free training seminars, live demonstrations, and hands-on training sessions in our classroom and mat rooms. Attendees are free to attend any or all of these training events an unsurpassed opportunity to obtain cutting edge training from some of the top names in the industry. Past conference seminar presenters include Gabe Suarez, Jeff Gonzales, Marty Hayes, Andy Stanford, Steve Silverman, Jim Higginbotham, James Yeager, Steve Moses, John Farnam, Skip Gochenour, Alan Brosnan, and others.

Entry fee is $100.00, which includes the match, all weekend seminars/classes, and a prize drawing at the awards ceremony.

Additional information on The Polite Society can be found at: thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/ps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warrior Talk Symposium III

The Warrior Talk Symposium in January 2005 and 2006 was a resounding success. We have decided to do it again, with WTS III on January 20-21, 2007.

This is an international gathering of like minded warriors from the US, Canada, Columbia, Great Britain, and elsewhere. There will be several concurrent seminars and classes going on, in our classroom, airgun ranges, and pistol range. Some of the best instructors in the industry will be putting on these classes, and attendees can participate in as many as eight separate courses of instruction. The theme this year is Integrated Skills, so the topics covered will include hand to hand, stick fighting, knife fighting, as well as pistol skills.

Registration fee is only $100.00, which covers all seminars and classes. Entry is limited to the first 50 to register.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Assistant Administrator
    Ron - I love the idea - no mistake there. My problem, as it would I suspect be for so many, is simply distances!

Indeed within these cyber walls is very much a cameraderie such as you describe with biking. I too am a seasoned biker and have always found this to be the case. We are bonded here thru a common interest and dedication - both to preservation of 2A and our lives.

Nothing would please me more than to have a 'bash' somewhere and be able to meet up with many of our members but I cannot see it being easy, as I said, due to shere distance which necessarily embraces costs.

I have a chance to go to NM next May and meet a load of THR people but am still uncertain whether it will be possible, tho my wife is quite enthusiastic!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ron...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ...I wonder if it is only me becoming nostalgic as I am getting older, or if others have experienced the same feeling. I think that it would be nice and fun to actually meet some of the members of this Forum, who seem to be really good people, whom I know only from their posts.
    Ron
    You have been reading my mind...
    I presently ride a Harley...and understand the camaraderie you speak of...

I have also wondered about enjoying the companionship of others from this forum...if just to have a lunch and place a name with a 'handle'.

Wouldn't it be great to spot a familiar face in a crowd that you know is a fellow CCW'er?

Now nationally, this would be difficult at best...but in Florida?

I would like to suggest that the Florida CC members who think they would enjoy meeting other CC members, during some preplanned afternoon in a central meeting place...discuss it!

I'm in the Gainesville area and would entertain a trip south a few hours away...?

Great idea Ron...

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I understand what you are saying, but the gun culture is a different breed altogether. For the most part, I don't like everyone in the world to know that I am a "gun guy". It actually makes me mad when introduced as such. It just happened last night.
    Anonymity is what makes the CCW thing work so well.
    On the other hand, Harley guys whole culture is based on letting the whole world know what sits in their garage. All of my Harley riding friends have always have something on advertising for their choice of steed. IMO, that is a huge no no for gun guys to parade around in a Glock shirt while out shopping. At the range, OK if thats what floats your boat.
    Perhaps get involved with a branch of shooting not CCW related. For example, I like to shoot high power rifle. Great camaraderie there. I also like to upland game hunt.... even better. You get hunters, shooters, dog guys and kids all in one Its a good time.

Again, I'm not trying to shoot down your idea. I'm just saying that the gun culture, esp. CCW/self defense circles are a bit different.

Sixto...

I agree when it comes to a convention type meeting...I'm not interested either...
    But an afternoon lunch with a bunch of CC guys in Florida is not the same thing...I think that it could be an interesting hour or two...

Take care...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree when it comes to a convention type meeting...I'm not interested either...
    But an afternoon lunch with a bunch of CC guys in Florida is not the same thing...I think that it could be an interesting hour or two...

Take care...

ret
    I would too, just out of curiosity. To bad Florida is a two day drive away.

Well, for a lunch or dinner I'm in! I'd enjoy meeting a few fellow CCW'ers on a casual basis. I wish I could afford the Harley but I could show up in my pickup....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Well, in the short while that I have had my carry license, been carrying a gun and visiting gun forums, particularly this forum, I have begun to feel a similar sense of comradeship ...
    I love y'all. I'm gettin' all misty.

If enough others feel this way, I wonder how many might be interested in attending a convention or meeting, where we might get some experts to present lectures on gun related topics, and if we could meet at one of the better gun school ranges, combine the meeting with some tactical training programs. And, I suppose, we could invite others who feel the same way.
    Interesting idea. I suppose that the standard courses offered at the top-flight schools are already this, a convening of like-minded individuals looking to mix it up with their "card carrying" peers.

I like the idea of a gathering. Imagine 200+ folks convening to a private facility for a weekend, where there were seminars covering legal, constitutional, tactical and equipment topics covered by a variety of expert types.

Downside to the idea: concealed means concealed. Not everyone who carries would be enamored with the concept of attending a large-scale gathering (which is, by def., not discreet). As well, likely a number of the top trainers and others would be missing a paying gig to attend, hence they'd likely want to get paid for attendance. That could elevate the cost of such a thing quite a bit. Hm ... perhaps the NRA would be interested in sponsoring such a thing.

I'm game, if it could be done in such a way as to keep the cost reasonable for a large gathering, if a variety of qualified, top-notch folks could be convinced to attend and lend their expertise and knowledge, and if it could be structured such that high-value info exchange could occur while still allowing plenty of time to meet folks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Perhaps by state at first?

Good Ideas...

start out by talking first...
    We'll figure this thing out...

Saty alert...stay safe!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    "I'm gettin all verklemp, talk amongst yourselves...." ;)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I understand that CCW holders want to maintain their anonymity , and that concealed means concealed. But, I am thinking of a gathering where the only people participating would all be CCW people. When we attend a large tactical training class we are losing our anonymity in that context. I am not sure that I fully see the difference. However, I do realize that what I am suggesting may not appeal to everone, which is quite natural and to be expected. And, perhaps trying to do it nationally is too ambitious. Let's see what other posts we get on this.

Ron

Administrator
    Perhaps take it down to a county level....

I'm still not sure that I'd want others that I don't really know well to know that I carry. Then again, the only way to get to know others is to go meet them.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Perhaps take it down to a county level....

I'm still not sure that I'd want others that I don't really know well to know that I carry. Then again, the only way to get to know others is to go meet them.
    Well maybe not the county but how about the state or region. Like AL and GA, or something similar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links