Defensive Carry banner

Charter Arms reputation

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Beees 
#1 ·
I really haven't heard much discussion among my peers about Charter Arms handguns. I've been looking into buying a snub nosed
.22LR revolver to carry in the summer time, during hiking trips, etc. I saw a Charter Arms "Pathfinder" 6 shot revolver that looks like it may be just what I'm looking for.

I'd like to hear from someone who has had any experience with this particular firearm brand and if you've had the experience of firing a "Pathfinder." I'm particularly interested in the company's customer service. I'd appreciate anyone's opinion on this revolver; good or bad.

I have no idea where I would have the opportunity to test fire one before I purchase it, so any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I had a Pathfinder long ago - sorry the pic is poor. I bought it very cheap back in mid 80's and it was pretty loose but it shot OK single action. Something inside was making DA unreliable and tho I stripped it fully, decided it was just excessive wear.

.22's of course will not ''shake loose'' a gun but I think Charter guns do not have the longevity of higher quality guns - that said they are value guns and many see carry use.

If you can get a new or as new Pathfinder then buy one - I'd get another if tight - I have never ever held a snub that felt as good as this gun - at least with grips mine had. It filled the hand and felt great - and yet was a cinch to conceal in pocket.

#3 ·
Have the charter arms "off duty" with 2" barrel. It's a cheap handgun. Have only shot a box or so thru it. It goes "BANG" when it needed too and that's what what counts. I'm more comfortable with a revolver then autos.And shoot them regular. No real reason to shoot the charter as recoil and ect is not a problem. I deffinetly wonder why you would choose a 22. It'll only make the BG mad if your planning on self defense.
It is real conceal able and lite weight. Easy to carry and affordable.

#9 ·
Original charter arms were good to
very good.They went under and
were reopened under the name of
charco,which didn't seem to put out a decent product.Charco went under after a couple of years,the
company returned as charter 2000
and seem to put out a decent gun.
I own a 1st gen 44spl bulldog and
it hasn't fell to piece's yet.My
favorite load is a 240gr LSWC that
is good for 740fps at 10ft from the
muzzle.I've run about 800 of these
in it and it seems to be as tight as
when i bought it for 150 bucks.

#10 ·
As I menioned earlier.NO problem with it,but I don't think it would stand up to a lot of use. IE regular trips to the range and a lot of heavy use.
But considering what you intend to use it for. It would last a life time. Also mentioned you need to shoot enough to become proficent at shooting and then shoot a little on a regular basis. Otherwise you might as well take a pocket full of rocks and learn to pitch. Enough said
Would I buy another one??? Yes. I don't carry it.but bought it for the wife. Would carry it?? If I were to were shorts and Tees YES as it'll conceal real easy as will a lot of the more expensive guns of the same size.However my G 27 is my preferred carry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.