Even cheapie mags can be useful

This is a discussion on Even cheapie mags can be useful within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would never use anything but the best for carry but - gotta say - for IDPA and gen range use, even cheapie's can be ...

Thread: Even cheapie mags can be useful

Assistant Administrator

Even cheapie mags can be useful

I would never use anything but the best for carry but - gotta say - for IDPA and gen range use, even cheapie's can be worth a shot. Save the best from damage.

I got some Eagle mags for SIG some time ago - a mere $10 each or less - and once they are ''tweaked'' they perform!! Best is to strip them down - smooth follower action - and then tweak the feed lips - even, as I did on one - relieve the mag catch engagement slot a tad.

I like to practice fast reloads and hate dropping good mags on rough dirty ground too much - these sure help spare the good ones. If they get trashed - no biggie.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Yep, $6 1911 mags work just fine for range work.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Even the mags that are worn out and cause failures are good to keep so you can practice your trouble clearance drills.

VIP Member
    Very true....sad thing is that some make/model firearms have no "cheapie mags" available for it....prime example is my HK P7 Euro (aka "PSP").
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I have a mag that an "ex" 1911er gave me. No name on it. Could even be GI. This mag is majical.

Sometimes it won't feed the first rd. Sometines it won't feed the 3rd or 4th rd. Sometimes it wont lock back the slide if it does happen to fire all the rds. Sometimes it does. Sometimes the slide will lock back after the 5th rd. is fired. Sometimes it simply falls outta the weapon after the 4th or 5th shot. Sometimes it seats hard. Sometimes not.

I have painted the floorplate bright orange. I use the mag for drills and keep it in my range bag just in case I might get the opportunity to loan it to a competator. -------

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    I
    I have painted the floorplate bright orange. I use the mag for drills and keep it in my range bag just in case I might get the opportunity to loan it to a competator. -------
    Too funny. I keep a few bad mags too. just to simulate problems.
    HK doesn't seem to have cheap mags all right.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    I use the mag for drills and keep it in my range bag just in case I might get the opportunity to loan it to a competitor. -------
    That tickles me too LOL! Sneaky

Mind you, as said this type of ''fickle'' mag certainly has it's uses for random clearance drills - that's for sure!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Even the mags that are worn out and cause failures are good to keep so you can practice your trouble clearance drills.
    Exactly why I keep my Scherer mags for my Glock, I have taken them completely apart, cleaned out the plastic flaps from the sloppy molding process, trimmed the "mouth" so that the follower will rise completely, still jam fairly regularly. But I throw one in the bag and load it up, then start shooting and try not to look at which mag I'm picking up next, there you go, automatic, clearance drill.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Damm, maybe I shouldn't have used my cheap mags as targets. I have a Marlin Camp 45 that only likes Marlin mags. All the cheap 1911 mags I've bought don't seem to work in that peticular rifle. Now I'm considering keeping the few I have left.
    Thanks, Chris.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    For my bersa 380, mags were pushing 36 each. I ordered some from a guy on ebay. I knew going in that they weren't bersa mags. Any mag I get, before use, gets disassembled, taken to the fine wire wheel in the garage and then the lips and metal part ya load the rds onto get a very light scraping. couple drops of CLP, then put back together. won't use them for carry, but they save lots of cash for the range.

Administrator
    I bought up a pile of mil surplus Assy Mags for cheap & they work just fine.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have mags that don't work so well marked for what they do so I can use them for drills. The FTF mags, the stove pipe mags, and the mags that just quit working halfway through.

Using them helps me with clearance drills. I will have working mags in my belt and depending on which bad mags that I pick up (I don't watch/see which ones they are because I don't want to know what failure I am about to have) I do the drills and then slap in a good mag to finish up with.

I have this one 1911 magazine that will do everything and also run flawlessly sometimes. That one is my favorite to train with due to I may run through an entire magazine with zero problem, or have a FTF, or have a stovepipe or have it just quit working around shot number 4 to 6.

My "best" magazine to use is my AK "rapid fire". But the cartriages don't rapid fire out of the barrel but from the top. You fire and it's like BANG, BANG, BANG, *ping* *ping* stovetop. It will eject anywhere from two to four complete cartriages out the top before the bolt slams back onto another complete cartriage and jams it up.

Scared the heck out of me the first time, now I just use it to mess with my friends lol.

Wayne

Links