Plastic homemade guns

This is a discussion on Plastic homemade guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is this real! I've read that the equipment to do this runs in the thousands of dollars. Any comments? Schumer: U.S. needs to block 3D ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Plastic homemade guns

Plastic homemade guns

Is this real! I've read that the equipment to do this runs in the thousands of dollars. Any comments?

Schumer: U.S. needs to block 3D plastic guns like ?The*Liberator? from Defense Distributed* - NY Daily News
    There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It's really great. Gen. James Mattis USMC

2. Remove Ads

The plastic one were just prototypes to see if 3D printers could actually do it.

Recently, an all metal 1911 type semi was made by use of a 3D printer and has fired well over 1000 rounds as of a couple days ago.

A machine shop is still required including a full CNC, lathe, etc. (but if you know someone who works in a shop, you could stop by with your inexpensive 3D print out)
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I have a 3D printer and can print those. $1500 and a little practice are enough to start printing those parts successfully.

Printing 1911's is just childs play. When are they going to be able to do something really useful, such as print out a nice warm batch of chocolate chip cookies and a cold beer?

VIP Member
    To Schumer, the ramifications of make-your-own untraceable and undetectable weapons are “stomach-churning.”
    I don’t care what it is if it makes sen schemer’s stomach churn I like it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I'm waiting for someone to design a royalty free printed frame that uses commercial parts to complete it- no firearm sale, no serial number and a real gun.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to design a royalty free printed frame that uses commercial parts to complete it- no firearm sale, no serial number and a real gun.
    You can already download and print an AR lower. Wish granted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Taurahe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    You can already download and print an AR lower. Wish granted.

I didn't specify but I meant a pistol frame.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Kvet View Post
    I didn't specify but I meant a pistol frame.
    Make an AR pistol then. :) I did print a plastic 1911 frame, but it didn't turn out, and if it did I certainly wouldn't try to fire 45 ACP in it.

patri0t likes this.

Glocks lol
    jblitz and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Printing 1911's is just childs play. When are they going to be able to do something really useful, such as print out a nice warm batch of chocolate chip cookies and a cold beer?
    welcome to the future Hungry? Print Yourself Some Bacon: Science Fiction in the News
    357and40 likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

It doesn't take fancy equipment or technological wizardry to fashion a working gun. Man has been making them since gunpowder was discovered/invented. I have seen some really inventive "prison guns" over the years.

Still though, I would really like to get my hands on a 3D printer some day...
    brocktice, msgt/ret and Echo_Four like this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Yeah, 3D printers have been around for a while. Personally I first messed around with one about fifteen years ago. That one was much more expensive and also less precise than current models.

Really, though, there's not much one can do with a 3D printer that they can't with some basic machine tools, assuming they have the skill with those tools. What Schumer is unhappy about is that this potentially gives any normal person the ability to make a functional - if not necessarily good - firearm. That would mean power in the hands of ordinary people, and as much as leftists pay lip service to that idea, it absolutely terrifies them when it actually happens.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Really, though, there's not much one can do with a 3D printer that they can't with some basic machine tools, assuming they have the skill with those tools. What Schumer is unhappy about is that this potentially gives any normal person the ability to make a functional - if not necessarily good - firearm. That would mean power in the hands of ordinary people, and as much as leftists pay lip service to that idea, it absolutely terrifies them when it actually happens.
    Exactly. Also they are all up in arms about 'undetectable' guns. As another poster says, Schumer is a (word I can't say on this forum), and an enemy of a free America along with Feinkenstein.

Quote Originally Posted by deadsexy View Post
    Glocks lol
    Printing a glock frame (with metal inserts) would be a start but glock would sue to take down the hosted files. It would be really disruptive to the anti's if anybody with a decent 3D printer could make the frame and buy the rest of the parts- just like we can with AR-15s now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links