Getting ready for hunting season

This is a discussion on Getting ready for hunting season within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just did my final checks to my rifle (hunting in PA) and to my shotgun (hunting in OH). The rifle is a Browning A ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Getting ready for hunting season

VIP Member

Getting ready for hunting season

I just did my final checks to my rifle (hunting in PA) and to my shotgun (hunting in OH). The rifle is a Browning A bolt micro hunter in 7mm-08 shooting 140 gr Nosler Accubonds over a healthy dose of RL19. The shotgun is a Savage 220 (20 gauge) shooting Remington Premier copper solid sabot slugs.

Both targets were at 100 yards:

HPIM3618 972x972.jpg
    A .92 inch group isn't near the best that this rifle has done with this load but it's right where it should be and ready to go for deer hunting.

HPIM3617 900x972.jpg
    Scoff at a two shot group if you must but each slug costs $3.50 and when the first two landed in the bull at 100yds I decided I was happy. I just can't believe a shotgun can shoot this well at 100 yards. But then again I guess that's why they can charge so much for the ammo.

So, who else is ready?
    WHEC724 and Badey like this.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Nice shooting, that should put venison in the freezer!
    atctimmy and ctr like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

VIP Member

Thumbs up

LOL. I approve of your two-shot group. I'm the same way with expensive ammo.

You should be good to go. 'Look forward to the trophy pics (spikes, does, whatever).
    atctimmy and ctr like this.

timmy, I hope you get a big O'le buck if you want one, and if not get a nice eating doe, and some great memories.
    atctimmy likes this.

Trophy, schmophy. I'm looking forward to the venison BBQ at the First Annual Defensive Carry Shoot at timmy's farm!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Always went hunting every year with my Dad and my uncle(dad's twin brother) since I was old enough to safely handle a shotgun. Dad died a few years back, so my uncle and I continued the tradition. Now my uncle has taken a turn for the worse and is unable to go. I just can't bring myself to go alone. Maybe in time, but it just wont be the same. Sorry to hijack the thread early on, just got kind of sad and needed to get it out.

Back on topic, those groups look very good. I'm not really that confident to take a shot that far out with a shotgun. Let the potential Trophy of my life walk because it was too far out. Rather would let it live than maim it and have it die a slow painful death in the wild.

Good hunting!
    The Police arrive just in time to draw chalk outlines

It's up to You to make sure the outline isn't around Your body

Distinguished Member
    If you are hunting from a stand, don't forget your safety harness and some way to cut yourself out of it.

Locally, they just found a guy that fell out of his stand. His harness saved him, but he couldn't get out of it and died anyway.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post
    Always went hunting every year with my Dad and my uncle(dad's twin brother) since I was old enough to safely handle a shotgun. Dad died a few years back, so my uncle and I continued the tradition. Now my uncle has taken a turn for the worse and is unable to go. I just can't bring myself to go alone. Maybe in time, but it just wont be the same. Sorry to hijack the thread early on, just got kind of sad and needed to get it out.
    Sorry to hear. Sounds like its time to continue the tradition with the next generation.

Op that's very good with a shotgun.

I tend to run 5 rounds or so through before I call it sighted however at that price 2 should be fine ;)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
    "People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous." - Edmund Burke 10-08-1777
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrix View Post

Back on topic, those groups look very good. I'm not really that confident to take a shot that far out with a shotgun. Let the potential Trophy of my life walk because it was too far out. Rather would let it live than maim it and have it die a slow painful death in the wild.

Good hunting!
    Ouch, that's pretty rough. Perhaps someday you can honor your father by hunting. I'm sure that he would want you to continue and enjoy the sport you both loved so much.

The shotgun accuracy is so good because of the new technology out there. Rifled barrels and sabot slugs are quite accurate, almost like a rifle. 20 years ago I wouldn't dream of shooting a slug to 100 yards but now it's easy.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    Op that's very good with a shotgun.

I tend to run 5 rounds or so through before I call it sighted however at that price 2 should be fine ;)
    It was already sighted in. This was just my final pre season check.

Senior Moderator
    I usually just shoot 3 rounds from my 7mm Rem nag each year just to make sure that it is still sighted in from last year
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I usually just shoot 3 rounds from my 7mm Rem nag each year just to make sure that it is still sighted in from last year
    Yup. That is what I was doing here as well. I feel ready to go. Just one question though, why does your 7mm nag you so much? Does it tell you to shoot it more or just to let it out more often?

Probably 25 years ago I ordered one of the best made climbing tree stands I could find. I really tried to get something safe.

I showed a picture of it to my mother, who asked how they worked, and how high I could go in a tree. She then asked did they make a safety harness or something for them. I told her that yes they did, but Id order one later. She told me to find the best made, to order it, and that it would be an early Xmas gift, SO LONG AS I PROMISED TO USE IT WITHOUT FAIL.

Well, Mom was good to her word, and I got the best harness I could find back then. I was good to my word, as well.

So, I go out on Ft Campbell, at 0 dark thirty, and set the stand up. It was black on black. Not the best color for setting it up in the dark, btw

I proceed up the tree, and it worked great. I got about 20' up in the tree, (wearing that climbing safety harness the whole trip up), and it was something like out of a cartoon. I proudly look around at 20' up, and am just mentally saying to myself "THIS is where I want to be!".

Boom. The bottom platform gives way, and Im swinging in the air before I knew what hit me. My next thoughts were "Dayum! This thing (harness), works! Thanks Mom!".

Then of course I had to figure out how to get out of the tree. Which wasnt too bad. It was a two part stand. A hand climber, and the bottom platform.

I cut a limb from a nearby tree, and used it to tilt up the hand climber till it slid down to me. I then used it, with my legs bear hugged around the tree trunk, and worked myself down the tree.

I had practiced putting that stand up before taking it hunting. So, once down, after a bit of rest, I examined the bottom platform to try to see what went wrong. And I immediately found the problem.

As I said, I practiced putting the stand together CORRECTLY. Which, in hindsight, was a bit of a mistake. I should have also found out if it would fit together INCORRECTLY. Because thats just what I did when I put it together that morning, in the dark.

The stand had the platform part that went around the front side of the tree, then a metal part that went around the back side of the tree, and would attach to places on the platform.

The problem was that the back piece would fit on perfectly right side up (correctly), or (incorrectly), upside down. Right side up would hold the stand securely. Upside down would get you up the tree, then fail suddenly.

Well, I have updated deer stands, now. And upgraded safety harnesses. And wear one going up the tree, while in the tree, and while coming down the tree. WITHOUT FAIL. Just as I promised, long ago.
    WHEC724 and airslot like this.

Bagged a couple honkers & Toms with my sons so far this season; their in the fridge slated for our Thanksgiving Dinner Feast.

Now were working on getting some venison too!

I've always been partial to hunting deer with ah 12g slug

Good-Luck out there ! !
    StormRhydr and WHEC724 like this.

VIP Member
    Eating venison baloney as I type this.

The next batch from the processor will have red hots, snack sticks, jerky, sausage, and more baloney.
    StormRhydr and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    Bagged a couple honkers & Toms with my son’s so far this season; their in the fridge slated for our Thanksgiving Dinner Feast.

Now we’re working on getting some venison too!

I've always been partial to hunting deer with ah 12g slug

Good-Luck out there ! !
    Me too but after I did my homework I found that the 20 gauge has better ballistics. IIRC past 90 yards or so the 20 gauge actually hits harder because it doesn't slow down as fast. It also has much less drop and is effective out to 200 yards. <-- I won't shoot that far with it without a lot of practice but I feel dead on out to about 125 yards or so. That's DANG good for a shotgun.

The shells I'm using are shooting a 260 grain bullet at around 1850 fps. That's pretty dang good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links