My CCW is tarnished from my skin?

This is a discussion on My CCW is tarnished from my skin? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased a new Para 1911 a couple months back. I bought it primarily for CC, and I carry it using a IWB. I ...

Thread: My CCW is tarnished from my skin?

I just purchased a new Para 1911 a couple months back. I bought it primarily for CC, and I carry it using a IWB.

I noticed last night that around the inside, the side that is closest to my body, that it is starting to get some discoloration. It almost looks like it's become tarnished. It's paritcularly noticable around the edge of the beavertail saftey and the little part that sticks out behind the hammer (don't know what that's called).

The only thing I could think of that would dothis is the oils from my skin. It does rub a little when I'm carrying.

My question is, can prolonged skin contact like this tarnish a weapon?

If so, how in the world can I get it off? I tried rubbing it down with no luck
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Bulgarian SSR 85C 2
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

Assistant Administrator
    My carry 226 ST ''suffers'' from carry in summer. The few steel parts like hammer, trigger, levers - can so easily start to corrode - just from the sorta ''envelope'' of humidity around the gun - I do sweat buckets! I try to maintain a film of CLP or RIG on vulnerable bits.

Without seeing yours it's hard to tell the nature of the change - but for sure skin ''acids'' and general sweat contents do not do good things to guns sometimes - varies hugely on different folk's body chemistry too.

It is helpful IMO with IWB's to have a good rear protection panel to avoid direct body contact but even so - still a humid environment. My rig is OWB and so no body contact usually - a t-shirt between gun and me but - still the chance of corrosion.

My old M85 suffered quite badly when I failed to realize how there was a band of near pitting rust starting just under the top of the grips.

A pic might help.?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    You don't specify stainless or blue /other finish. But as P95 said body acids can discolor finishs. oiling the gun can help, also for hot hays wearing underarmor or other moisture wicking t's can help some.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The short answer is "Yes, absolutely". Acids are acids regardless of source and many will have a deleterious affect on metal.

Another source of corrosion that is sometimes overlooked is humidity. When you have a pistol covered by a garment for prolonged periods, the humidity under said garment if often higher than the surrounding environment, causing minor corrosion.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

It's stainless. Unfortunately I don't have a way to post a pic, but it doesn't look like rust per say, but the stainless is taking on the appearance of copper or brass.

What is CLP or RIG? Is there a way to reverse this process?
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear his pants.

If it's just discoloured stainless, try using Simple Green or another household stainless steel cleaner to remove the discolouration.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    If it's just discoloured stainless, try using Simple Green or another household stainless steel cleaner to remove the discolouration.
    Def will try, thanks!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh stainless - well yes I have seen this coloration before but not on my own gun.

GG's suggestion is worth a try - there's not too much you can do to harm SS - tho not a good idea to buff with fine wire wool as tiny steel particles can embed and become rust foci.

Other thing - again seeing as it's SS - forget the cosmetics aspect if it is EDC - it's hard to keep a carry gun immaculate. As long as all mechanicals are good that is the priority.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The acids in your skin/secretions will discolor metals. My skin is acidic enough to darken inexpensive jewelry, etc.

no problem, just keep it clean, wear a t-shirt and be happy. a little discolor makes a gun look good.

I Never Have a Gun Touching My Skin...

I either have a T-shirt and a 'collared' cover shirt...or a summer 'T' under another T-shirt...depends upon the weather. I also have a body protector on each holster I buy. This eliminates the problem of body oil touching gun metal...problem solved!

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    no problem, just keep it clean, wear a t-shirt and be happy. a little discolor makes a gun look good.
    Yeah, I agree. I'm starting to see that!
    Springfield EMP
    XD 40 SC
    Para Slim Hawg
    Rossi .38
    AK-47 Hungarian AMD 63

Links