S&W Model 29 "Mountain Gun"

This is a discussion on S&W Model 29 "Mountain Gun" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have seen the S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun at my local Cabela's a few times. I was wondering if anyone out there has one, ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cred's Cariad
  • 1 Post By nechaev
  • 2 Post By Old_Dog
  • 1 Post By glockcoma

Thread: S&W Model 29 "Mountain Gun"

I have seen the S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun at my local Cabela's a few times. I was wondering if anyone out there has one, or has shot it, knows a buddy who knows a buddy etc...

What kind of loads can this handle (I like Underwood's offerings for a Security Six I have)?

Just looking for general information & would this be a good/wise/whatever purchase?

Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    glockcoma likes this.
    P.A.N.K.U.S. Ogre

“Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt-

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 29-10, which is a blued Model 29 with a 2.5 inch barrel. Although not identical, it is very similar to the Mountain Gun. I find that is shoots very comfortably with .44 special loads, including plus p variants. I like the 200 grain gold dot jhp's for self defense use. It is capable of handling full house 240 grain semijacketed lead soft points for use against four legged threats, but shooting them extensively may give you what I call the "Magnum Shakes". The revolver is extremely accurate at ranges which I have fired it out to about 25 yards, and it shoots to point of aim. Overall, it is a quality firearm, and a lot of fun to shoot. The only down side is the cost of the ammunition if you don't reload. I hope this helps.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I have seen this gun myself but bought two Ruger Alaskans; a .44 magnum and .454 Casull. If you plan on shooting hot and heavy loads, the Rugers are the way to go as they will handle any commercial ammo sold in their calibers. However, when my testosterone dies down and owning a gun that could kill anything in the Continental United States was no longer exciting, I sold the two Rugers and got myself a Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum because with the tight load, it can take down any living thing in the places I actually go to, even the 300 lb. Black Bear that sometimes wander through our area. Much more controllable for follow-up shots and that is VERY important in my humble opinion.
    glockcoma and StormRhydr like this.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

I believe the "Mountain Gun" variety is a lighter version of the standard Model 29. I seem to recall seeing side by side photos in a gun mag once. The Mountain Gun seemed to have a lighter barrel, cylinder was thinner. It might not handle full house magnum loads as long or as comfortably as the standard Model 29.

Quote Originally Posted by pankusogre View Post
    I have seen the S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun at my local Cabela's a few times. I was wondering if anyone out there has one, or has shot it, knows a buddy who knows a buddy etc...

What kind of loads can this handle (I like Underwood's offerings for a Security Six I have)?

Just looking for general information & would this be a good/wise/whatever purchase?

Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I own the 625 Mountain gun in 45colt.
    I had concerns with reloads, power and pressures, so I called Smith.
    Their canned answer was not to shoot reloads in any Smith handgun, but if I chose to reload, not to push the mountain Gun beyond 1000fps. Again, this is for the 45colt.

I'd say, if you kept to factory spec. ammo and loadings, the gun will outlast you. Mine's going on at least 8 years old now, still locks up tight and is my primary choice for the woods of NH.
    I load from 265 to 300 grain hard cast lead from Beartooth bullets. I keep my reloads at about 750-1000fps, no faster, and the effects are devastating on critters. Hard cast leaves massive wound channels, breaks bones, and HUGE exit wounds. Most times, I don't recover the bullet on the game I've taken.
    Hard cast works great on critters.

I'd say again, if you shot that Mountain Gun with no hot rod loads, it'll serve you well forever.
    Is it a blued Mountain Gun, or Stainless version? Either way, you've got a goodun'.
    Attached Images
    nechaev likes this.

Sponsored Links