Accidental Death -- Do you know the risks?

This is a discussion on Accidental Death -- Do you know the risks? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very good article, good information, great pie chart. Accidental Death -- Do You Know the Risks?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Accidental Death -- Do you know the risks?

VIP Member

Accidental Death -- Do you know the risks?

Very good article, good information, great pie chart.

Accidental Death -- Do You Know the Risks?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very illuminating for those willing to listen to all sides of the arguments.
    gatorbait51 and blitzburgh like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This is an excellent resource.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Very illuminating for those willing to listen to all sides of the arguments.
    Unfortunately they won't listen. Their reply is written in stone: "If it will save even 1 life....ban it!"
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Unless you are suicidal or a hopeless klutz (or live with one), you don't need to worry about being killed in a firearms suicide or accident. And because approximately 75% of homocide victims have criminal records, your odds of being a firearms homocide victim if you are not a criminal fall below the odds of accidental drowning (3,555 deaths, 0.14% of total). So chill out, folks, quit smoking, wear your seatbelt, eat healthy, watch your weight, exercise regularly and STOP WORRYING ABOUT GUNS!
    Well said.
    BugDude likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I'll always say. My loved ones are vastly more likely to be crippled and ruined by various diseases than by an assaulter. That's where the pre-emptive battle is fought by those with wisdom and gall. The medicine preventing my wife (or siblings, or even kids) from suffering from a decade of dementia hasn't been invented yet. The post-stroke drug preventing the loss of a functional limb and a score of IQ points hasn't been invented yet. That's where the risk to our loved ones lies. And, these risks deserve a portion of my self-defense budget.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    Great example.

"there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns
    & one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential swimming pools"

,,,, were is the cry to ban,,,, swimming pools
    tdave likes this.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    If we Ban people! What will they Ban then ?

[QUOTE=archer51;3001770]Unfortunately they won't listen. Their reply is written in stone: "If it will save even 1 life....ban it!"[/QU

That would be the response of the liberals, but I don't see how someone could sincerely care about gun related deaths and support abortion and wish to abolish the death penalty to protect murderers all at the same time.
    BugDude likes this.

Interesting numbers. Why doesn't the media share these with the public? Facts are facts, right?

[QUOTE=AmmoFan01;3002655]
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unfortunately they won't listen. Their reply is written in stone: "If it will save even 1 life....ban it!"[/QU

That would be the response of the liberals, but I don't see how someone could sincerely care about gun related deaths and support abortion and wish to abolish the death penalty to protect murderers all at the same time.
    as a student of the human trifecta (anth/soc/bio), one learns a very important, consistent, and simple fact: people are capable of anything.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoFan01 View Post
    I don't see how someone could sincerely care
    I'll not touch the abortion aspect (other than suggesting that their analysis of the issue is different, so the understanding (but not agreeing) failure might be on your front), but I know a reasonable number of people who are 'anti death-penalty' who'd change their minds if the statistics showed that it had any real effect on the murder rate. But, until then, the death penalty runs a calculus in their heads "giving the gov't extra power" plus "odds of potential innocence" plus "extra spending" doesn't add up.

In the end, it's actually very similar to many gun-rights arguments. They don't want to give the government enough power so that the government can screw things up. We cannot give the government the power to enact the death penalty effectively without giving up some freedoms in the meantime. If the statistics showed that the death penalty actually helped, I'm sure they'd be willing to sacrifice some liberty for security.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I've heard of doctors asking about guns in the house. I would have to tell them nunya. I would have to ask the doctor shouldn't I be more concerned concerned over chemicals, prescription medications, swimming pools, not being properly constrained in the car, hanging out with the wrong crowd, among other things. My dad told me at the age of 5 he had a gun in his dresser, and not to touch it, or I would get my butt beat. At the age of 6, he taught me how to shoot, and respect guns, and that they weren't toys.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Very good article, good information, great pie chart.

Accidental Death -- Do You Know the Risks?
    vice87 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    "there is 1 child killed by a gun for every 1 million-plus guns
    & one drowning of a child for every 11,000 residential swimming pools"

,,,, were is the cry to ban,,,, swimming pools
    I actually used this argument with an anti gun nurse once. She was particularly distressed that having a swimming pool that could not be used for fishing meant she desired to drown little children.
    CanuckQue likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links