Christmas Present for my Wife - Advice?

This is a discussion on Christmas Present for my Wife - Advice? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's that time of year, and I have decided that I'm going to try to swing a pistol for my wife this time around. Background: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Christmas Present for my Wife - Advice?

Christmas Present for my Wife - Advice?

It's that time of year, and I have decided that I'm going to try to swing a pistol for my wife this time around.

Background:

My first pistol was an M&P 40. The full size, with safety (what can I say, it's all the gun store had). Ultimately, it turned out that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. So, the pistol and I parted ways so I could afford something that I was more comfortable with.

My wife had an opportunity to shoot it before I sold the hunk of junk. She freakin' loved it and it loved her. It was her first outing with a pistol, and she blew my expectations away. You see where this is going?

Questions:

I have considered a couple of different pistol options and would like to run them by all of you to get some thoughts since I can't very well ask her about a present.

+ Full size M&P 40. I know she likes it.

+ Full Size M&P 9mm. Two extra rounds in the magazine, same platform.

+ M&P 22. Only twelve rounds, but it's in .22. She could shoot all day every day and we'd still have money left over for more ammo. (Maybe I just want the .22, who knows. Apparently I'm a big baby anyways.)

+ Glock 23. The aforementioned shooting session was her first. She's only had exposure to the M&P. Would the Glock be a worthwhile consideration?

+ Glock 19. See M&P bits above.

+ Taurus PT92. She is a HUGE Supernatural fan.

Thanks in advance. I'm thinking we might have to make a range trip so I can try to talk her into at least trying the Glock and Taurus options. But, of course, spending (whoops, I mean Christmas) time is here. We might not make it out.

2. Remove Ads

My generic answer coming up... Glock 26 Gen4
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

It sounds like you know the answer but are hoping for encouragement (justification?) to buy her one you like.

Since it's for her, go with the one you already know she likes.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I would not buy a gun for someone without their input, personally. With the background you gave us, the M&P 40 is the only option I would remotely consider, and I doubt I would even risk that.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    is she likes the M&P then the choice is obvious. caliber is a religious discussion and there has already been plenty of thread on that.

while both the Glock and M&P are polymer striker guns they feel very different in the hand. out of the two i prefer the ergo of the M&P.
    airslot likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

it is hard to buy a gun for your wife. it is like buying shoes for her, it just don't work. you think you got it right, but no, it is all wrong. take her to the range and let her shoot different guns. let her shoot different autos and some wheel guns too. keep your input out of it and let her tell you which one she wants.
    88keys and scgunlover1 like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    it is hard to buy a gun for your wife. it is like buying shoes for her, it just don't work. you think you got it right, but no, it is all wrong. take her to the range and let her shoot different guns. let her shoot different autos and some wheel guns too. keep your input out of it and let her tell you which one she wants.
    In my way of thinking frankmako hit the nail on the head. Let her pick it out.
    SCGunLover1

Yep... don't buy the gun for her, but give her a card with your "gift certificate" for the handgun of her choosing.
    88keys, Brad426, bigdog44 and 4 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Even if she is not going to be carrying the firearm defensively, I would, if my wife wanted a semi auto, and shot an M&P well, get her an M&P compact(have her try and shoot one in 9mm first before deciding) and get a couple of the longer FS mags with grip sleeves.
    That way, if a couple years down the road, carrying becomes an option, she's all set.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    I guess I would get her a gift card (promissory note if they don't have one) from a gun shop. Let her pick out what she wants either right before or right after x-mas. Ammo (if you know the caliber) or maybe a cleaning kit make good stocking stuffers in the meantime.

In .22 I might suggest a Walther P22. If you prefer something more for target shooting, a Browning Buckmark. Either are tons of fun to shoot. In 9mm or .40, have a look a the Walther PPS. It is slim, comfortable, concealable, accurate and reliable.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I would go with her to buy a gun, Women change there minds like the wind, with all due respect. just try to buy her a pair of shoes.

Yep... don't buy the gun for her, but give her a card with your "gift certificate" for the handgun of her choosing.
    Best advice ever. He should charge for that wisdom. 'Nuff said.

You could always take her to a gun show around Christmas time and let her pick something out. Looking is half the fun in my opinion, and you know how us gals can love to shop (if she's like that).

VIP Member
    I got an idea you buy her a gun and she buys you a gun that way you both can be wrong
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I'll tell you the same as a customer in the shop. " Bring her in, let her chose what SHE likes, you pay the bill. This way, it's HER gun."

The element of surprise may be gone, but the level of HARMONY on the home front goes up. You can surprise her with the extras : holster,ammo, etc.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links