While you're thinking about hunting coyotes - is camo needed?

This is a discussion on While you're thinking about hunting coyotes - is camo needed? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I understand it so far, coyotes are wily and I suspect they can see and hear exceptionally well, not to mention smell. So how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: While you're thinking about hunting coyotes - is camo needed?

Senior Moderator

As I understand it so far, coyotes are wily and I suspect they can see and hear exceptionally well, not to mention smell.

So how hard is it to hide from them when hunting them? Do you need No Scent, blinds, camo, what???
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Helps, but no. Movement and smell (wind direction) is much more important.

Go up these forums. Much more about coyote hunting than defensive carry

FOXPRO Forums - Powered by vBulletin

PredatorMasters Forums - Forums powered by UBB.threads™
    Jaeger likes this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I use a climbing stand. Spray a little raccoon urine around the base of the tree, and go up about. 20 feet or so. Sometimes they will come in right under you. The advantage of the stand is a 360 view, and your scent is above the ground level. You can also move more freely without being spotted.
    marcclarke and Taurahe like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    East coast hunting is definitely different than western states.

First of all you have lots of trees!

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    East coast hunting is definitely different than western states.

First of all you have lots of trees!
    That's true. Where you guys are at, you can see forever . Here , even though you may hunt over an open field, the dogs may circle around and come in through low areas covered with brush and be on you before you know it.
    Chorizo likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I once watched a guy driving up the hill to where our camp was in Nevada antelope hunting. It took him half an hour and he was driving quickly (45 mph or so) he was 30 miles away and I never lost sight of him. And he drove mostly in a straight line!

Google earth Porter Springs, Nevada and look to the East over the hills. You will see the road. I dare you to find a tree!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I've worn a ghillie suit, overwhites, and even just a flannel shirt and jeans. It's all about the wind. And your lack of movement.

Mind the wind, mind your scent. Coyotes are cagey, but so are we. Your camo (as is usually the case) is more effective at making you feel better than hiding you. More so than any other hunting I have ever done, one must have the patience of a Jedi to succeed at coyote hunting.

And it is worth it.

Here in the west it is important but movement and wind are the two most important factors. It will help though you can use muted earth toned clothes and be fine.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I have successfully hunted in red flannel! Being still is much more important. There used to be a video out there with a guy in a Santa Suit hunting coyotes. Ill see if I can still find it!

Movement and wind is your enemy, pick a good hide and use the wind, and camo becomes less important. I like Ty hunt from either tree stand or a pop up ground blind. I don't do much coyote hunting but I have been successful over the years by keeping these as primary tactics.

I always use a cover scent. A coyote has a nose you wouldn't believe and can be very wary by nature.

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    If you are starting out two fiber glass plant stakes and a piece of camo netting allows you to scratch your nose without sending the yote on his way. Patience is important and getting into your hide without him seeing you is tough. Like Chorizo said they can see you from a long distance. I call and sit for 45 minutes if I don't get any movement I move to another stand.

Good luck and have fun remember not only yotes come to your call. I have had a lot of bobcats come in on a hurt cotton tail call. I don't hunt bobcats but they are fun to watch. I only use mouth calls just a preference. People look at you funny listening to a recording while driving and practice your calls I do the same while driving for ducks. Called multi tasking I am sure there is a law that prevents you from blowing calls in your car but oh well.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

VIP Member
    Never worried about camo or scent cover. Anything that breaks your pattern will work and keep the wind in your face. Normally if you use a injured rabbit call, they go crazy and barrel in for the easy meal!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    Use a Roadrunner call........ Meep, Meep !

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Sarge65, lionround and RebelSoul like this.

Like fishing lures, a BUNCH of hunting accessories (including those for predators) are designed to catch, not the prey, but the... hunter. Best bet is to befriend a successful local coyote killer & follow their lead. A hat don't make you a cowboy, a Harley won't make you a biker & a Rolex can't make you rich. Don't be the guy who believes that the gear & the look kills coyotes. Skill kills coyotes. Good luck!
    molleur likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Far more coyotes fall victim to roadkill in my area than to hunters. We unfortunately have some that are 1/2 coyote 1/2 red wolf which are much more aggressive than the coyotes. Ironically the US Park Service biologists started this nightmare when they tried to reintroduce red wolves to Great Smoky Mountain Park. They cross-bred and the rest is history.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links