GLOCK Experiment with Ultrasonic cleaner. Got Ya, wondering about polymer in cleaner

GLOCK Experiment with Ultrasonic cleaner. Got Ya, wondering about polymer in cleaner

This is a discussion on GLOCK Experiment with Ultrasonic cleaner. Got Ya, wondering about polymer in cleaner within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I stirred up so much with my last GLOCK post I thought I would try to not try an experiment and ask your ultrasonic types ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: GLOCK Experiment with Ultrasonic cleaner. Got Ya, wondering about polymer in cleaner

I stirred up so much with my last GLOCK post I thought I would try to not try an experiment and ask your ultrasonic types a question. I have a CREST ultrasonic cleaner. I put a friends GLOCK 27 in there with a stainless SIG 220. They had babies (: No, left it in there for 30 mins and both guns came out squeaky clean. Well his polymer looked a little faded and has remained that way.

No I am not a chemist. Though I like experimenting. Ha. I used the correct amount of cleaner and didn't think 30 mins was too long. But are these units hard on all polymer type guns in some way? Some one else I knew said his HK plastic got kind of dull when a shop did his. Or does a person spray it with some Pledge and say boy that looks good again. Thanks

VIP Member
    And I thought you just threw Glocks into the dishwasher.

Glock Cleaning.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I doubt the ultrasound part will hurt the plastic in any way, but the temperature and type of cleaner/detergent will have some effect.

The US baths I've used for cleaning industrial (aerospace) parts were kept around 150 F and used a powdered enzymatic detergent which was fine for steel, but had some cosmetic staining effects on nonferrous alloys, with the greatest effect on aluminum. I wouldn't hesitate to clean steel parts in it, though. Plastic parts? I might be inclined to try it on something non-essential first (got a broken Glock lying around?).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

That is so funny lol
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    And I thought you just threw Glocks into the dishwasher.

Glock Cleaning.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I doubt the ultrasound part will hurt the plastic in any way, but the temperature and type of cleaner/detergent will have some effect.

The US baths I've used for cleaning industrial (aerospace) parts were kept around 150 F and used a powdered enzymatic detergent which was fine for steel, but had some cosmetic staining effects on nonferrous alloys, with the greatest effect on aluminum. I wouldn't hesitate to clean steel parts in it, though. Plastic parts? I might be inclined to try it on something non-essential first (got a broken Glock lying around?).
    U sir sound like you know what is going on. Thank You. Mine will hit 90 celsius. Wow 194 degrees! I had it cranked to that. Maybe I should back it down! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

"non-essential". Translation: See if there's something of your wife's laying around.
    Glock1978 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    this guy socked different polymer mags in chemical cleaners to test them The Unscientific Plastic Magazine test - Videos pg15 - Part 2 pg16 -(mobile users/56k do not click) - AR15.COM

there was a different test done with all sorts of household/garage chemicals and it was long term but i cant find it right now.

most polymer for use in guns part are some sort of glass filled nylon and i'm sure the actual formula is a trade secrete.

i would be more worried about extreme heat and UV more then cleaning solvents.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    What solvent/cleaner? I clean my XD's in an ultrasonic cleaner with a diluted solution of Green Stuff. Love to watch all the carbon and other stuff boil out of the parts.

No discoloration or other negatives.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

VIP Member
    I like the idea of ultrasonic cleaners, I even thought about buying one of the big pricey ones?

However, in my bit of research I read two things about them that caused me to pause. The first is to keep your hands out of it while it's running. IIRC it had something to do with adversely affecting your bones over a long period of time. Well that's a no-brainer and easy to comprehend, actually no different than having a fireplace.....it's hot keep your hands out of the flames.

The second is the most worrisome, and I read that ultrasonic can have a bad affect on certain alloys that could be found in some guns. Of course it would be over a long period of time and not something bad that would happen quickly. I can't get any conclusive data on what sort of alloy and what period of time. If it takes 1000 years then it's not really a concern?

I like the idea of using an ultrasonic cleaner, I'm just a bit wary at the moment. With ammo prices as they've been, I've curtailed some of my shooting so any cleaning chores of mine have been curtailed as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I use Crest ultrasonic cleaning solution and have tried Hornadys. To test it is cool. After I get it degaussed, I put a piece of aluminum foil inside the tank. Basically a little flat sheet of it. Pull it out and it will be perforated with little pin ***** holes everywhere. The one thing I do wear is ear plugs. No kidding. The high frequency is hard on my ears anyway. Than after it is clean I have another tank with water disbursing oil. Set it on top and let it get to temp. Throw the handgun or parts inside and it lubricates and disperses all the water.

They really are great. Got mine on Ebay. Expensive, for a good one. But worth it if you like to clean a gun all the way through and not have solvents and oils all over your hands. I actually have a box of the black mechanics rubber disposable gloves to handle the parts with and protect the skin from the heat. It gets HOT! Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.

While in the military we used to take our rifles in the shower to clean them. Just don't get caught. But it works great. Lol
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

VIP Member
    Gramps uses simple green. Period. Gets the Glocks clean as a whistle.

I have succeeded in getting totally rid of all harmful/toxic chemicals in the house - except his Simple Green. He insists on keeping that for the guns. I don't like that he uses it but I do like a clean gun...............so what's a girl to do?
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I use alcohol and a q-tip or pipe cleaner for the hard to get stuff. It works great. Sure helps that I have a bunch of 99% isopropyl alcohol from my electronics bench. I suspect a lower concentration would work fine as well, since it's not like a little water residue will do anything to a Glock, but hey I use what I have.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Gramps uses simple green. Period. Gets the Glocks clean as a whistle.

I have succeeded in getting totally rid of all harmful/toxic chemicals in the house - except his Simple Green. He insists on keeping that for the guns. I don't like that he uses it but I do like a clean gun...............so what's a girl to do?
    Have him try out Ballistol, ShooterGranny. Might be the solution you can both live with.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Have him try out Ballistol, ShooterGranny. Might be the solution you can both live with.
    Ballistol smells so awful, though. I use it and it works great but seriously why can't everything smell like Hoppe's #9?

I wish Febreze made a Hoppe's #9 scent. Chanel, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links