Turnaround times on factory repairs (3 guns)

This is a discussion on Turnaround times on factory repairs (3 guns) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I sent my XDs in for the recall and it took 88 days to get back here. I bet they have a lot of them ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rollo

Thread: Turnaround times on factory repairs (3 guns)

VIP Member

Turnaround times on factory repairs (3 guns)

I sent my XDs in for the recall and it took 88 days to get back here. I bet they have a lot of them to do. Got a free mag back with it.

I sent my PPK in recently from a old recall a couple of years ago. I rarely carry it so sending it off kept getting put off. It got back here in 12 days. I think it came back with a free wipe down cloth. I believe the repair was done in nearby Arkansas?

I sent off my new Savage 42 .22/410 because it developed trigger/hammer problems on its on. It got back here in 21 days. No charge, on this one or either of the above. It's a nice little farm truck gun, though it's made somewhat cheap. I've (and his Dad) been introducing my 7 YOA grandson to a bit of shooting, it's a small gun, but still a bit big for him. He enjoys the .22 better than the .410 choice right now, but look out squirrels one day. BTW he's not unsupervised, I'm stuck by his side like a glued on eagle.

Having never sent a firearm back to the manufacturer, it makes me wonder how much QC has suffered in the days of mass production?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

It would seem that in some cases it is cheaper to fix the problems than to beef up the majority of the parts, i.e. play the percentages. At least my feeble mind views it in this way. The firearms industry is one that I can think of that has yet to go to "planned obsolescence".
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    It would seem that in some cases it is cheaper to fix the problems than to beef up the majority of the parts, i.e. play the percentages. At least my feeble mind views it in this way. The firearms industry is one that I can think of that has yet to go to "planned obsolescence".
    Yup. In a former life, I used to sell a software dashboard system that would allow manufacturing execs to choose the "optimum" amount of failures in a production run (based on sample stats from previous runs).

My wife recently got her CWP. Along with her new permit, she wanted a pistol. She chose the Springfield Armory XDs9. After having it for a few days, we find out about the recall... (the day after it was announced) and send her pistol in. I was upset that SA didn't communicate to anyone at the time #1 that my wifes pistol had been received and #2 didn't even have a solution to the problem engineered yet prior to the recall being issued...

Sure, a free magazine is nice but it doesn't quite make up for the fact that SA had my wife's pistol for over 60 days. I feel that's mostly a customer service issue as the pistol was repaired and we detect no issues. I'm not sure whether I will purchase a Springfield Armory product in the future.

I sent a Taurus PT1911 back to the factory twice. Each instance was seperated by 1 year... each instance resulted in the pistol being at the factory for over 6 weeks. Neither time was the pistol repaired properly. I finally had to result in taking the gun to a gunsmith and having him fix it. I don't trust the weapon and have not fired it at all. I've wasted a fair amount of money and will not purchase another Taurus product. It was not due to customer service that I made that choice... it's because the factory was not able to fix my issue.

Thought this was going to be a Taurus thread when I saw the title.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links