Coyote hunting in Arizona

This is a discussion on Coyote hunting in Arizona within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys. Ive been thinking about trying out predator/coyote hunting. Ive just started researching it the last week or so and I'm trying to find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Coyote hunting in Arizona

Coyote hunting in Arizona

Hey guys. Ive been thinking about trying out predator/coyote hunting. Ive just started researching it the last week or so and I'm trying to find a good group to join or others that are willing to share their experience and knowledge. My hunting experience has been all bird hunting for dove, quail, and pheasant while growing up in Kansas. I have no experience with calling or hunting predators but think it could be a great thing to learn and share with my son.

I found the arizona predator calling group is in my area and looks like a good starting point. They have monthly meetings and looks like they even have novice hunts to help newbies. Just wanted to see if anyone else here knew of any groups or training in the East valley. Also my only rifle currently is a colt le6920 and I was not sure if that would work if I should look into a dedicated hunting rifle?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    It is nice to have a scope when hunting yotes in open country.

You are heading the right direction by getting with folks in your area as there is much to learn from the locals.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I think the Colt would work fine, probably with a scope of some sort. They are really just skinny dogs with a mean streak.
    dangerranger likes this.

Your gun is probably fine for starting out, given some decent hunting ammo. Probably better if it's scoped or has a smallish (1-2 MOA) dot if you're using an RDS.

I think a lot depends on the terrain you're hunting and the cover it provides. If the 'yote smells you or sees you moving and assumes you're a threat, he won't get close enough to take a humane (= placed with confidence) shot without magnifying optics. What part of AZ do you plan to hunt?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

No plans on where I would hunt. I'm in east mesa and willing to travel but based on the amount of coyotes I see running around out here I would guess that there could be decent hunting in the vicinity. I would have no problem taking a trip south or north if needed. What magnification do you think would be appropriate for a scope for coyote hunting?

I'm just starting to look into this. I just recently got my colt and still need to get proficient with it first. Aside from a 22 it's my first rifle I've owned. I shot rifles here and there growing up but pretty much all my hunting experience is with shotguns.

I have a .22-250 that I "dedicated" to coyote hunting because that's about all I would really be hunting with it over here in Maine. That being said I haven't put coyote hunting high on the list of priorities. (duck and deer are way ahead, they're must tastier)

Either way, I feel a good 3-9x scope would do well for you. Maybe 4-12x if you're feeling giddy. For a 16" barreled AR I don't think you'll need any more than that because I wouldn't expect to be reaching wayyy out there with it. I have an AR with a red dot that I let friends use when we go out so they can take closer shots if they present themselves. I'm in no way calling myself a good coyote hunter either.

Quote Originally Posted by Azchief View Post
    No plans on where I would hunt. I'm in east mesa and willing to travel but based on the amount of coyotes I see running around out here I would guess that there could be decent hunting in the vicinity. I would have no problem taking a trip south or north if needed. What magnification do you think would be appropriate for a scope for coyote hunting?

I'm just starting to look into this. I just recently got my colt and still need to get proficient with it first. Aside from a 22 it's my first rifle I've owned. I shot rifles here and there growing up but pretty much all my hunting experience is with shotguns.
    Well, time to get your butt out to Rio Salado and get some rounds downrange to see what you and your gun can do. Learn how to run the gun and maintain it; recognize that defensive shooting with the carbine is a bit different from hunting and target shooting where breathing and deliberate trigger action are called for. Assuming your gun already has iron sights, get it dialed in at 50 yards and with most ammo in the 55-62 grain range you'll be close enough at 200. You can fine tune that once you get an optic mounted.

My ARs are set up for defensive work so I'll defer to those who hunt with them to recommend a scope. If pressed, I'd say 3-9 x 40 should be adequate for 'yotes out to about 300 yards. Just don't get a cheapie BSA or NcStar; you'll never go wrong with good glass like Leupold.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Smitty what are the distances for rifles on the public range at rio salado?

Is it for sport or what?
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    Is it for sport or what?
    That's another item I would like to find out. I'm not positive what if anything can or should be harvested from a coyote. I think after the holidays I will look into some local meetings to really see what it is all about. Growing up we did not waste anything we hunted to eat. So if coyote hunting is just pure sport and nothing can be done with the meat or pelt it may not be the right thing for me.

VIP Member
    That's another item I would like to find out. I'm not positive what if anything can or should be harvested from a coyote. I think after the holidays I will look into some local meetings to really see what it is all about. Growing up we did not waste anything we hunted to eat. So if coyote hunting is just pure sport and nothing can be done with the meat or pelt it may not be the right thing for me.
    Check your regulations in AZ. Some states still offer a bounty on them. Not much market on their pelts that I am aware of. If you can find some mountain man re-enacters in your area, they might take a few pelts off your hand for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I've seen this show when I was getting my spray bedliner in my truck about shooting them out in the cold and sometime in the snow.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Thanks for the info guys.

Smitty what are the distances for rifles on the public range at rio salado?
    You can post targets at 11, 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards, and there are steel plates at 200 and 300 yards. That oughta work for you!
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Check your regulations in AZ. Some states still offer a bounty on them. Not much market on their pelts that I am aware of. If you can find some mountain man re-enacters in your area, they might take a few pelts off your hand for you.
    No bounties here in AZ, but I think some guys save the pelts to sell.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You probably already know this, but remember you do need a general hunting license for four-legged coyotes.

Unfortunately they're not issuing licenses for the two-legged variety yet.

But in all seriousness be careful, in some parts of AZ you can find Mexican wolves Mexican Wolf and Coyotes: Know the difference and if I remember correctly they are endangered and the fines for harming or killing one are rather steep.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links