Shelf check: Are you back to near normal in your area?

This is a discussion on Shelf check: Are you back to near normal in your area? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It looks like a year after it started, things are finally settling down (for now). My last stop at Riley's - and no, I don't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Shelf check: Are you back to near normal in your area?

It looks like a year after it started, things are finally settling down (for now).

My last stop at Riley's - and no, I don't work there... I just think the place, the owner, and (most of) the staff are first-rate - they had just about every caliber on the shelves in small and bulk packs. 5.56 NATO and 5.45 Russian, .308, Korean surplus bulk .30-06, 7.62 NATO and Russian, etc. at pretty close to pre-panic prices. 5.56x45 is still spendy at about .45-.55/rd for 193 and 855 brass case. The steel crap is a lot cheaper.

11 months ago, a few of the shops that I no longer frequent were selling Magpuls G2 30 rounders (and even cheap no-name plasti-mags) for $50+ each. With the ban looking like it was going to pass, I thought I might have missed the boat on them forever, but last weekend they had boxes of MagPuls in every flavor you could want - G2 and G3, window or not, from $9 each for the straight G2s - I picked up a few just because. Plus Troy Battlemags for $10, I think, and plenty of aluminum versions at reasonable prices.

Plenty of ARs and AKs on the shelves. Stripped lowers for $75 on up. The only thing missing was bulk .22LR, which one of the clerks said sold out on Black Friday, but I've been able to pick up a few bulk boxes here and there over the past months and am doing just fine.

On the pistol side, they had everything, even .380 which has been hard to find (I don't shoot it, but have friends that do, so I always scan the shelves for them). 9 is going for about $11-12/box, which is a couple bucks more expensive than I think it was this time last year. Plenty of brand-name hardware new and used.

So, how 'bout where you are? Is it near normal again?
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Shelf check: Are you back to near normal in your area? It looks like a year after it started, things are finally settling down (for now).
    Depends on when and where.

Mostly, though, it still looks clearly like many things tend to be out of stock (or very low) much more often than not. I think people still haven't fully (broadly) replenished their personal inventories and gotten back to pre-hysteria levels of training. Plus, prices are still fairly high, overall. To me, it's basically the pricing that's reflecting the market's overall view of things.
    AmmoFan01 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    NO !!!
    AmmoFan01 likes this.

Local walmart tonight: A number of 50 cal ammo cans. Each loaded with Turkish made MKEK brand marketed by ZQI , 5.56, or 9mm. The 5.56 was something like $447 per 720 round can. The 9mm was $497 per 1200 round can. Those may not be bad prices today, but for turkish made stuff in bulk, especially the 9mm doesnt look like a great buy to me.

Dont get me wrong, its great to see available, but not a great buy.

Nothing to be found around here still. And what is available is usually junk ammo at high prices.

Guess people haven't heard the scare is over around here.
    AmmoFan01 and Pukindog12 like this.
    Tactical Junior Senior Instructor Of Advanced Tactics
    The Gecko45 Tactical Academy of Tactical Tactics
    Master of the Tactical Back Flip
    Internet Gun Expert

I started seeing some inventory at local Wal-Marts, gun shops, and even this one popular range.

I bought some Winchester PDX1 230 grain .45 ACP yesterday at the Sportsman's Warehouse. WalMart had some at the same price, but with my 5% military discount and $10.00 gift certificate, Sportsman's Warehouse was much cheaper. Handgun ammo was plentiful, .22LR and .22 mag were nonexistent, the rifle ammo shelve were pretty bare since it is hunting season here.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Nope not yet. Stores get replenished, but it's usually all sold out again that day. Gander mountain has a 1 box limit on 22lr ammo for the 325 packs, and it still sells out in a day. I had to get a friend to go in for me and get some.

.40 is easier to find.
    CC Gun: Springfield XD-S 9mm
    Other: Beretta Neos .22

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You can find what you want but the prices are still inflated.
    ccw9mm and atctimmy like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

.40 and .45 very plentiful at local walmart, .380 and 9mm still non existent, .22lr also a mysterious unicorn I have heard about but not seen.
    reloading supplies have come back tho, so that is a bonus.

Back to 'normal'? Not by a long shot (pun unintentional). Here in AZ we seem to have a LOT of shooters. Over the past month I've been to Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse and even Wal-Mart a couple of times and have scored exactly 2 boxes of 9mm. .22 LR is scarcer than hen's teeth, although .17 HMR is in decent supply and occasionally .22 WMR shows up. This being the tail end of the big game season, hunting calibers (like .30-30, .308 and .30-06) are completely absent.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My buddy owns a LGS. He has over 1000 handguns in stock and is selling pistol caliber ammo by the case again. I just bought a case of 9mm for $259. The Walmart near my office is getting pre-banic priced ammo in most every day. The only thing I can't regularly purchase right now is bulk packaged 22.

In my area off brand FMJ ammo in larger calibers is fairly common but .22 is still pretty scarce. 9 mm fmj is about $19 a box and .40 is $24 a box. As far as hollow point goes it is only available in 25 round boxes and costs you an arm and a leg.

Distinguished Member
    Not normal yet, but getting better. Prices still high and supply limited. But there is ammo in most calibers on the shelves. .22 being the most scarce and most inflated prices. Better is good, hope we don't have another repeat of last December. Finally canceled my order of AR PMAGS from S&W dated from Dec. 2012, love their customer service.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Around here .22 still gone 9mm $26 per hundred WWB .38,40, and .45 $40+ per hundred that's if they have any. Hundred round 12 gauge is back AR's are back AK's still scarce.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links