XS Big Dot Sights- Pros & Cons

This is a discussion on XS Big Dot Sights- Pros & Cons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am relatively new, and i really need some more range time. I was thinking of treating myself and my Ruger to a decent set ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Hatrix

Thread: XS Big Dot Sights- Pros & Cons

XS Big Dot Sights- Pros & Cons

I am relatively new, and i really need some more range time. I was thinking of treating myself and my Ruger to a decent set of Night Sights. And i came across an article on the XS Big Dot. The person who wrote the article, specifically stated that they were only for his main defensive carry firearm. They were meant for very quick acquisition of target, and not for competitive shooting or target accuracy. If one is as newbie as i am would these sights be more of a hindrance or a help. I'd like to think in a SHTF situation. I would have a decent chance of hitting what I was aiming at. I tend to see these as maybe a help, but i respect the opinion of others, that might have used them in the past.

bd-ft-rt.png
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

2. Remove Ads

You've pretty much read the advantages and disadvantages of them already. They are very good for their intended purpose, getting the gun up and that big front sight on center of mass and firing. They are also good if you have eye sight problems. If you get them and practice drawing and getting the dot on COM fast you'll be just fine with them on a defensive/carry gun.

If you want to shoot for bulls-eyes they aren't very effective. The dot is too large and covers too much of what you're shooting at. It can be learned to shoot somewhat accurately with them. There are even videos on YouTube of people hitting plates with them at 100+ yards. But you would benefit more from a regular set of sights than the Big Dots if you're planning to shoot for accuracy.
    SIXTO, Kennydale, OldMick and 2 others like this.
    If You Can Read This You Must REALLY Be Bored!

MJK
    ^^^ What Hatrix said ^^^

I've used these for years on my Glocks and they are great combat sights. But if you're trying to shoot small groups there are better solutions.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Echoing the above. GOt em on a Sig P229. Gets on target FAST but not designed to be extremely accurate.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I like em but don't use them any more. Here is why. Once I got used to the Big Dots, my speed suffered on my duty pistol and other carry pistols with more traditional style, 3 dot night sights. It could have been my mind was playing tricks on me because the Big Dot is so quick and easy to pick up but it concerned me. I felt it was safer to run similar sights on all my SD pistols.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member
    Unequaled for personal protection sidearms for upclose and marginal light situations.

Marginal at best if you want precision or to shoot somebody in the eye at 20 yards (go ahead, think of some scenario where you will as there will soon those be posting so)

But before we do a complete rehash on the subject. A search would have been your friend. Here is the most recent thread from a couple of weeks ago. There has to be at least 20 threads like it if you use the search function in the upper right corner of the index page.

Moving on from XS Big Dots

http://o.dailycaller.com/thedailycal...12186c8c3234/3
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I can see where the extra bucks for a set of Trijicon HD sights would be better.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

I love the idea and have tried them once. While they are great for close up self defense work they are not so good for longer shots as the dot covers a lot of the target. Not a show stopper for me though. What my main problem was is that they kept getting caught on my holster making my draw slower and I was not about to buy new holsters. If you do not mind a sight that is not made for precision shooting and have a holster with a sight channel built in that is large enough to accommodate the XS, then they are a good option for those with bad eyes. I have bad eyes but prefer the tru-glow sights that are both fiber optic and tritium. Easy to see in night and day and do not snag on my holsters and allow me to practice those longer shoots with more precision. For revolvers I now have Crimson Trace laser grips on all but one. It works well with someone like me that has learned to point shoot them. My body aims and the laser dot confirms and there is no wasted time trying to use the laser dot to do the aiming. It merely lets me know that where I am pointing is where I am aiming at.
    The worst thing about growing old is that other men no longer see you as dangerous.

Everybody has hit the main points. I will chime in on the Idea of the big dot IMHO was for weapons with a short sight radius i.e. Snubs, 3" autos where you use them up close for fast acquisition an in that narrow scope they work great. I have them on most snubs. Anything else the HD's would work better.

Links