M1A Scout. Need help with optic mounts

This is a discussion on M1A Scout. Need help with optic mounts within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys. I just bought myself a birthday present, a SA M1A Scout rifle. I've been wanting one of these for a while and low ...

Thread: M1A Scout. Need help with optic mounts

Hey guys. I just bought myself a birthday present, a SA M1A Scout rifle. I've been wanting one of these for a while and low and behold, when I was making the rounds today there it was (along with some H4895! Finally!)
    So I've decided on the Burris 2-7 scout scope. It's 32mm. How do I know what height mounts to get? I'd like to get the Leupold quick release mounts, which come low, med and high. I'm pretty good at adapting to whatever I'm shooting. I just want to make sure the scope will fit, but am thinking the low profile is better without a cheek rest.
    Does anyone here have experience with this setup?
    Thanks

Looks like I'm boldly going, lol.
    I had one reply notification, but the post isn't here. Maybe they did not realize the Scout Squad has a rail on it and deleted their post. At any rate, I am going to try the low mounts with a 32mm scope.
    In the meantime I took it out just now to get the irons where they should be. The trigger wasn't too bad for a battle rifle. Two stage, but a lot of creep before it broke. Better than most factory M4's I've seen anyway. I stopped taking my time and just squeezed through it so the creep wasn't as noticeable. It didn't take me too long to start putting them around the bull. I'm excited to see what it does with optics.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Here's what I did on mine……Burris Scout scope….medium height mounts……Low mounts should work as well.
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thanks for the pic and letting me know the low mounts should work.
    It looks like you had to move it as far forward as you could for the eye relief.

VIP Member
    here are some mount dimensions for the ones I used:

Warne Scope Mount Rings & Bases - Lynx Optics Australia
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Dang. I had the scope on Monday and the rings finally got here today...
    Here's what the Leupold low mounts look like on the 2-7 Burris Scout scope. Another inch or so forward and it would be perfect.
    Attached Images

Administrator
    One of these days I'd have the creep taken out of your trigger. That is a great little modestly inexpensive investment for making a great rifle even better.

Another inch or so forward and it would be perfect.

Did you know that you can buy a picatinny extension which will allow you to move your optic either further forward or further to the rear.
    Then you'll be able to position it exactly to your personal preference.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I did not know they made an extension. Thanks. I really haven't looked into what is all available for this yet. If the extension does not sit higher that would be a nice upgrade.
    I'm going to look into the trigger after I get a few more hundred rounds through it. Sometimes these things have a habit of working themselves out with use.
    Right now I'm just hoping for a break in the snow storms to sight the scope in.

Sponsored Links