Bad day in the woods (where I shoot)

This is a discussion on Bad day in the woods (where I shoot) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So the point of going today was the gf just got her first gun and I had one I had to test out. So of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Bad day in the woods (where I shoot)

Bad day in the woods (where I shoot)

So the point of going today was the gf just got her first gun and I had one I had to test out. So of course the one chance u can take her it rains and then snows up until 2 hours before we leave to go. Of course she is instantly complaint about being cold despite the fire I got going (yes even with everything wet, it's easy really if you come prepared) so she goes back to the car after one mag.

So after the whinny gf leaves I can get down to business. I pull out the 870 (combo but only took the smooth bore). Instant issue! It seems it just doesn't want to extract that last shell. Action locks up. That little button you use to unload and disassemble is stuck. First four rounds went fine. Just wouldn't kick out that second. This seems to happen every time. I then have to take it home because I didn't bring a punch rod. So what's up with this?

Next up is the black widow I have yet to shoot. Brought the 22 mag cylinder and left the lr. What I found is I have better luck hitting the target by throwing the round at it than I do shooting with the black widow. Tips on how to shoot these little guns?

Then out came the good ol flawless Tula. Flawless operation that is! Looks wise not so much lol. And as always not disappointed for a second.

Didn't stay to long. The combination of the gf and the fresh snow bringing every hunter in the state out cut the trip short. Waiting for spring now I think.

Edit: Holy cow did my phone butcher that. I'm not going to go back and fix it. Nap time before I clean lol.

2. Remove Ads

What kind of shells were you shooting in the 870 (hi or low brass)?

With the black widow, you have rudimentary sights, a very short sight radius, and a small grip that fits the hand much differently than most other guns, they are generally very hard for people to shoot accurately because of a combination of these issues.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

@ 870- no clue, but my guess is that it needs cleaning and polishing.
    @ black widow- I've never seen them accurate, the folks i know who carry them use them for contact shots.
    @ whiny girlfriend- liberal amounts of flowers, back rubs, and shiny things, usually fixes my issues.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Fix the 870, practice with the Black Widow, dump the GF. The first two are more worthy of your time and money investments.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Fix the 870, practice with the Black Widow, dump the GF. The first two are more worthy of your time and money investments.
    I'd have to see pictures before I could concur.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One looks like a pump shotgun, the other like a little revolver. Do you still need a picture?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Clean and lube the 870. It's as simple and reliable a shotgun as you can get.

My girl loves my CZ 9mm. She loves when I help her move her hands for a better grip and correct ody position for a more solid stance. She loved the 2 mile snow hike to shoot my AK. Loves it when she inadvertently bumps my cc pistol and realized I'm carrying.

What can I say?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    My girl loves my CZ 9mm. She loves when I help her move her hands for a better grip and correct ody position for a more solid stance. She loved the 2 mile snow hike to shoot my AK. Loves it when she inadvertently bumps my cc pistol and realized I'm carrying.

What can I say?
    That you just made all that up?
    archer51 and msgt/ret like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Years ago I had problems shooting 3" steel shotshells in an 870 Express,it seemed that some of the heavier loads would lock the action up requiring me to have to hold onto the forearm and slam the buttstock on the ground to use the extra inertia to eject the spent shell.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I noticed some cheapie shells (Estate?) were sticking in my otherwise completely reliable 870... that came out of the blue. Never happened before or since with Win, Rem or Fed shells.
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    @ black widow- I've never seen them accurate, the folks i know who carry them use them for contact shots.
    @ whiny girlfriend- liberal amounts of flowers, back rubs, and shiny things, usually fixes my issues.
    Showing them where the door is works too!
    OD* likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I'd have to see pictures before I could concur.
    No matter how pretty she is, somebody, somewhere is sick of her crap.
    357and40, Brad426, ccman and 3 others like this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

A hunting buddy and I have both had trouble with Estate ammo in our 870s.

So after the whinny gf leaves
    Is this really how you talk about her?

Maybe she should leave you.

I just don't hear much respect or admiration for her in your "voice".

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    All that just to stop a little whining? What do you do when you screw up and make her mad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links