Loading .40 S&W with frangible bullets???

This is a discussion on Loading .40 S&W with frangible bullets??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reloading for a good number of years, and just found out about the frangible bullets available here and there for reloading. I just ...

Thread: Loading .40 S&W with frangible bullets???

Loading .40 S&W with frangible bullets???

I've been reloading for a good number of years, and just found out about the frangible bullets available here and there for reloading. I just found a small lot of these bullets in .40 cal, bought the lot, and am now at a loss as to where to start out as per the powder charge. They are 125 grain bullets and am wanting to use the Bullseye I presently have quite a bit of onhand. Does anyone here know of the minimum and maximum load for this bullet and bullet weight, using Bullseye? OR, does anyone know of a BETTER powder for this round? I'm using Federal Small Pistol Primers, as they weren't as costly as the CCIs. Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Remove Ads

I'd check with the bullet manufacturer for where to start. They should have some info.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Holy cow, those are light bullets. I use 200gr for my reloads, so I'll have to dig around. On Alliant's website, the lowest they go is like 135gr. http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...22&bulletid=62
    You've got to remember, Bullseye is a fast burning powder. It is possible to easily rupture the case if you're off, reusing the same brass infinity +1 times, or have an unsupported chamber. That being said, I have used Bullseye before, I still do, but just not with that light of a bullet.

Personally, with a new load I'd start low and work my way up. Use a chronograph to test your loads.

I too, have been reloading the 40,but for 155/185 Hps and don't think given the case length and size you'll find anything better then bullseye.You did not mention the length of barrel you of your weapon. Big difference in how much burns in or out of the barrel. BIG flame will will at least scare the hell out of the BG's after dark. BE safe always

Back again!! Why would you want to use that weight??Grains mean STOPPING/IMACT power.125 grns do not in my estimation have much stoping power.Having done alot of hunting with a 44mag and seeing the impact power of 265 grns on deer and bears[9]: I can tell you getting hit with wgt counts: no matter where you hit. Nuf said!!!!

Links