Armslist and mugshots

Armslist and mugshots

This is a discussion on Armslist and mugshots within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I put a firearm on the above website and figured I'd be cautious with any responses I got. I was very clear about the procedure ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Armslist and mugshots

Distinguished Member

Armslist and mugshots

I put a firearm on the above website and figured I'd be cautious with any responses I got. I was very clear about the procedure to be followed (legal and straight up) as well as the logistics of a meet with a buyer. I got a hit on the ad through an email that read a little funny. The email address showed an apparent first and last name. In the email the guy said his name was Scott. That didn't match either of the names on the email address. A quick google search and there's his mugshot with Scott as his middle name. His arrests include a concealed weapon without a permit in 2012. I wonder how he's walking free now? If it were me, I'd be locked up on some island or at the bottom of a well.

Ah well. I guess I'll take take the ad down, take the hit and just trade it for my 44 and move on. Be careful out there. Use that inter webz thingy and do your research. And remember.....nobody is collecting digital information on you. Our leaders wouldn't do that.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    And there are no scammers on the internet.
    Bad Bob and gatorbait51 like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I wouldn't take the ad down, I think you did a great job ferreting out the problems with that particular buyer. Leave it up, continue to be diligent and don't sell it to anyone that gives you the creeps.

What are you trying to sell?
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I've done exactly one deal from an ad on Armslist, as a buyer. The guy I dealt with was legit and everything was handled in a nice, safe manner. I've sold other things via Craigslist and received many, many scammer replies. Forums are good places to list firearms too. Are there any NC firearms forums that you could use? Many include peer ratings for transactions. I've done one deal that way too and it was just fine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've made several deals on Armslist, mainly as seller.

The first thing I would recommend is that you set up an e-mail account solely for Armslist.--gmail, yahoo, etc.

I require a buyer to have a MN carry permit or MN permit to purchase in order to buy. I also will walk away in a heartbeat if something feels wrong...and one of my rules is "never sell a gun after dark"--although it can be difficult to get a time set up in these short winter days.

I've also met buyers at gun shops and had the transfer done there--usually because the buyer prefers it, but once the seller required it. However, if you require that, you should pick up the transfer fee, or at least split it.

So, I would just keep the listing, tell that original "buyer" no.

Or, take the beating at a dealer; your choice.
    blitzburgh and gatorbait51 like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I certainly wouldn't take the ad down because of one questionable respondent. I say leave it up and keep doing what you're doing. If somebody of integrity wants it, they'll be more than happy to follow the procedures you listed and pass the smell test. Don't be so quick to throw in the towel and take a loss.
    gatorbait51 and patri0t like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

One thing you can do is require to see an active CCW permit for your state. It lowers the target audience some, but ensures that it's a legal owner you're selling to.
    gatorbait51 and BugDude like this.

I sure wouldn't let one "problem" inquiry cause you to pull the ad.

BTW, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but if you're selling a handgun, you probably ought to be aware of the following:

Under North Carolina law, it is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to sell, give away, transfer, purchase, or receive, at any place in the state, any pistol, unless the purchaser or receiver has first obtained a license or permit to receive such a pistol by the sheriff of the county where the purchaser or receiver resides, or the purchaser or receiver possesses a valid North Carolina issued concealed carry permit. This requirement to obtain a permit prior to the transfer of a pistol applies not only to a commercial transaction typically at a sporting goods store but also between private individuals or companies throughout North Carolina. - N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-402(a).
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Senior Moderator
    I don't use Armslist but I do use Gunbroker a good bit
    gatorbait51 and Brady like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I tried to sell a gun on there once.. but gave up because people are sketchy.. stick with gunbroker.com
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Funny that I too put my first listing on Armslist for Virginia. Got an immediate bite and to make a long story short the guy back tracked on his name, would never confirm he was a Virginia resident and stated he would sign a bill of sale but didn't want to 'do a transfer'. Ended up setting a time/place in a public location and arranging some 'back-up' but it ended up being such a crap weather day and my little voice just told me not to do it. I waived him off via email (never gave me his phone #) and never heard a peep since.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

gatorbait51 likes this.

Are you asking the originator of he thread or my listing?

My listing is here, a Steyr S40-A1, LNIB reduced to $500.
    Quote Originally Posted by tradingdummy View Post
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    My one on line transaction was buying one gun on gunbroker.com and I was so nervous about the idea of sending a whole bunch of money to someone I didn't know that it took several forum members here to keep me assured that all would be well.

And it was.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    I've made two good purchases on Gunsamerica.com Very happy thus far. Armslist , not so much. Found a nice 9 mm Commander earlier in the year , the seller was not overly cooperative . I faxed him the FFL and payment confirmation, including of photo of me with 8 $100.00 bills in hand, about twenty bucks more than he asked for (Gun, FFL fees and shipping, I tossed in the extra $20.00 in case) Long story short, he backed out, never returned a call. .Xin loi, his loss .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links