$350 Limit - What Would You Get?

This is a discussion on $350 Limit - What Would You Get? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After getting all of my Christmas shopping out of the way, thanks to a side job, I have $350 I can slide over into the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: $350 Limit - What Would You Get?

After getting all of my Christmas shopping out of the way, thanks to a side job, I have $350 I can slide over into the "guns & ammo" column for this month. I have plenty of ammo, so let's focus on the guns here. I have range/fun guns (pistols and rifles) and I have my CC bases covered. I have no problem buying used and no problem with military surplus weapons.

I'd actually prefer to get into the milsurp "game" but I have no idea where to start and this is where I need the forum's help. What would be a good option, pistol and/or rifle wise? Which ones do you have personal experience with? What make and model would you recommend, either pistol or rifle, that's in my price range?

Over my time here, I've read a lot of good things about Makarovs, P-64's, and Mosin rifles, etc. - But what I've read (and remember reading) are about all I know.

I'd also be open to non-milsurp suggestions on any used autos/wheelies that fit the price point. I'm just looking to "get out of my own head and outside of the box" with this purchase.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Personally, I'd go for bullets, primers, and powder, whenever they are available.
    OD* and 357and40 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I intend to get into reloading, but right now just isn't the time for me.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Mausers. German, Swede, or even Spanish.
    OldVet and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Pretend your LE you could buy a glock.
    Save it for awhile prices are coming down on some stuff.

I don't need to pretend I'm LEO as I can get the same deal as a volunteer fireman. I'm just looking for something different than the direction I usually go.

VIP Member
    I would go for a nice CZ .22lr with the European stock. CZ 22s are dead nuts accurate and very well made.
    gasmitty, archer51 and StormRhydr like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Makarovs are a good choice for handguns. I like the German and Rusian versions best. For rifles how about the venerable SKS the Chinese Norincos w/ chrome lined barrel shoot real good and are surprizingly accurate. Now I will throw a curve a S&W M&P .40 w/ 3 dot sights for $339 (on sale this month at CDNN Sports) it is a late model police trade in so you could call it surplus
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Mausers. German, Swede, or even Spanish.
    What model(s)?

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Swiss K31
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Makarovs are a good choice for handguns. I like the German and Rusian versions best. For rifles how about the venerable SKS the Chinese Norincos w/ chrome lined barrel shoot real good and are surprizingly accurate. Now I will throw a curve a S&W M&P .40 w/ 3 dot sights for $339 (on sale this month at CDNN Sports) it is a late model police trade in so you could call it surplus
    I already have a 'sporterized' Norinco SKS but you're right, they certainly are accurate. Hmm, that's a good deal for the M&P!

Suggestions don't have to be surplus, I'm open to anything in the price range.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Suggestions don't have to be surplus, I'm open to anything in the price range.
    well in that case a Ruger 10/22 would make a fine plinking gun, a Rem 870 would be a valuable addition to the HD arsenal / inexpensive skeet gun.

and what about the Savage 42?
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Two boxes of .22LR

Save your money!
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by all357mag View Post
    Save your money!
    this is defensive carry, not defensive banking. we don't talk people out of buying guns or ammo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links